SASS Wire Forum

Experts

Snakebite

I'm involved on 4 different forums. This one, two RV and one auto forum. When someone needs some technical help seems that there are always plenty of experts available. 

39 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I'm involved on 4 different forums. This one, two RV and one auto forum. When someone needs some technical help seems that there are always plenty of experts available. 

What is your RV site?

We are going to replace the kitchen floor in the 5th next month...may need some of them experts!!:rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Finest information source anywhere.

Google may have more info but they never share the experience that goes with it.

That was phrased so perfectly. It's one of the reasons I come here and ask instead of going to Google and look. Google frequently wants to sell me something when it's telling me how to do something, or why something works the way it does. When I have a question about a light switch, or a door frame, or an airplane, I get replies from people that have fixed light switches or door frames, or fly airplanes.

Search engines don't give me the experience.

I have rarely received outright bad information from the various sites I visit. But there is no doubt that some is better than others. It doesn't take long before you learn who truly has  experience in the area you are interested in.

8 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

What is your RV site?

We are going to replace the kitchen floor in the 5th next month...may need some of them experts!!:rolleyes:

iRV2 forum and the Winnebago forum. Both have provided me with good information to get me started on a project or repair, and have directed me in locating things that I needed. Good luck on the floor project. I generally don't post much on either site unless someone ask about adding solar to their rig.

The guys I get a kick out of (being nice with that statement) are the ones that come on the site and ask lots of questions then after being there a while start authoritatively answering other people’s questions that are new to the site. 

One gun forum I frequent has one such Nimrod. The guy is in his mid 20’s and owns one gun. A Ruger Wrangler, yet he pipes in giving recommendations on what others should buy or consider when purchasing a new weapon using his vast knowledge of reading what others have said. He’s been called out a few times by me and others and has ceased his dumbassery…for now. 

37 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

An "EX" is a has been and a "SPERT" merely a Drip under Pressure.

WIDDER were real close :D

They told me that in a business class, way back when I was in college.

They also told me the other definition of an expert was a man from out of town who had a briefcase.

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was a Pert once…and now… :rolleyes:

But, were you breveted to that rank, and now..........(never mind, I just finished the Custer thread).

I've been the " man out of town with a briefcase" many times.  Always got paid well for my advise and never had any complaints from my customers.  There are however many so called experts that give the title of a consultant a bad image.  Choose those from you take advise carefully.

17 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Whenever I need help I go to YouTube. So called experts and actual people doing repairs. Backyard mechanics and RV techs.  You get the narrative and the visuals.

I agree completely.  I've found youtube to be super for getting help on fixing cars, dryers, AC units, washing machines, lawn mowers and hot water heaters. 

Ha! What drives me nuts on YouTube is when there’s a difficult portion of whatever your trying to do some of these guys end the video then start back up again after the hard task that you watched the video for in the first place has been done off camera. Probably because they can’t figure how to show it or they have some one else do it then start up the video again afterwards. 

Examples:

Chevy S10 4.3 engine removal - unbolting transmission from the engine. 

Ruger Vaquero assembly and that PITA gate detent spring

Ruger 10/22 trigger / disconnector assembly installation (figured out on my own then someone posted a trick…the one I thought I came up with)

Remington R51 reassembly - What a pain. Glad I sold it. 

Yamaha Virago valve adjustment 

I could go on but I feel my blood pressure rising. Haha

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The guys I get a kick out of (being nice with that statement) are the ones that come on the site and ask lots of questions then after being there a while start authoritatively answering other people’s questions that are new to the site.

Their brother is the one who is new and asks a lot of questions, then when he doesn't get the answers he wanted to hear starts telling everyone else that they're wrong.

Archived