SASS Wire Forum

My Honda - Epilogue

Calamity Kris

Well, the saga of my Honda problem child has ended.  

The dealership did have it for a day and a half, replacing the wiring for the infotainment system and installing a whole new set of gauges.  After it was returned, I did start looking for a replacement vehicle and was within an inch of signing paperwork to purchase a nused car when Uno talked me out of it.  HE was convinced it had been repaired and was going to be OK.  We'll see, I said.  He promised me if it happened again, he wouldn't complain and allow me to purchase what I wanted.  In the mean time, I did sign up for the class action lawsuit and presented copies of my service records to show the number of times I had taken it in for the same repairs.  Well,  a few weeks later, I experienced another "black dash".  I returned to the dealership and received another song and dance.  "What do you want us to do?  We've replaced everything we know of and have had it numerous times.  You'll have to leave it here with us and we can take a look but I don't know what we can do for you......."  I grew angry and decided leaving the dealership would be the best course of action at this time.  

This Tuesday was the last straw.  I returned nome from work and in the mail was a letter from the administrator for the class action law suit.  I was informed my claim had been denied because, according to the dealership records, my car had only been to the dealership once for the infotainment system issue!!!!  After reading it to Uno, I tossed the letter on the kitchen counter, looked at Uno and said "Eff 'em!"   I stopped by a local car dealership Wednesday after work and came home in a new car.  

Having spent most of my life in corporate finance, I understand how expensive these judgements must be for Honda.  I feel empathy but I don't think they handled the situation very well.  I also believe the dealership could have done more to help the customers.  

Unfortunately, I will never purchase another Honda vehicle and I know other Honda/Acura owners that feel the same way.

Thanks for listening.

I have never owned a Honda, except for an old 3 wheel ATC.

When I discussed your experience with a guy at work that used to be a car salesman that actually owns and likes Hondas, he said Honda makes a good car, but they also do whatever they can to keep their brand from being tarnished.

Unless you’re just tired and fed up, I would go after them in court anyway and use the evidence that they tried to hide the fact that you had issues from the Class Action suit. In essence, aren’t they lying to another court in this instance? I am no lawyer so I don’t know. 

Sorry for your experience with them.  My experience with Honda vehicles has been great, but it's limited to two vehicles.  A CRV and an Accord.  

In my previous life in 1970 B.C. (before computers), I was a factory trained Toyota tech.
To this day, all we own are Toyotas.
Mine is a 1991, quarter million miles, and paid for.

Hondas are finicky.
This is not the vehicle to own, if you are lax about regular and frequent oil changes.
The only Honda I ever owned was a Honda 50 back in 1963.

For the record, I would not own a Toyota Tundra, either.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have never owned a Honda, except for an old 3 wheel ATC.

When I discussed your experience with a guy at work that used to be a car salesman that actually owns and likes Hondas, he said Honda makes a good car, but they also do whatever they can to keep their brand from being tarnished.

Unless you’re just tired and fed up, I would go after them in court anyway and use the evidence that they tried to hide the fact that you had issues from the Class Action suit. In essence, aren’t they lying to another court in this instance? I am no lawyer so I don’t know. 

Thanks for the insight.  Yes I am just tired and fed up.  This battle went on for two and a half years.  I really wanted to keep the Pilot, hoping that Uno was correct in his assertion that it was repaired.  When the black dash happened again, I was very disappointed.  The reaction from the dealership just iced it for me.  I don't have the time, money or energy to continue the battle.  That's why I replaced the Honda with a Toyota company product.  I pray the next owners of the Pilot have better luck than I did or know someone who can find and repair the problem for good.  I don't have that patience any more.  I drive too much and too far to have a car that isn't reliable.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

In my previous life in 1970 B.C. (before computers), I was a factory trained Toyota tech.
To this day, all we own are Toyotas.
Mine is a 1991, quarter million miles, and paid for.

Hondas are finicky.
This is not the vehicle to own, if you are lax about regular and frequent oil changes.
The only Honda I ever owned was a Honda 50 back in 1963.

For the record, I would not own a Toyota Tundra, either.

My 2008 Tundrea has 228000 + miles on it and is still running well with just routine maintenance. 

Haven't replaced the starter yet, I see.

$270 for a starter, and $550+ for labor to drop the exhaust system and remove the manifold, is not my idea of a good time.
But... not all Tundra get these problems, same as not all folks get cancer.

I am happy for you that your Tundra has not caused you a significant expense.
I would wager your Tundra is less problematic than a Chevy of that same vintage.

How about $4000 plus to replace a $250 AIR injection valve on a Sequoia. :(

Toyota in their infinite wisdom put them in the valley below the intake and right above the cam gallery. The entire top half of the engine has to be removed to access the valves. :angry:

Yep.
There are many good reasons why I keep my 1991, as ugly and high-mileage as it is.

Here in the PRK, catalytic thieves run roughshod.
They nailed my daughter's 2005 Prius, to the tune of $3,000 in repairs.
I had the local muffler shop weld a cage around the new cat... and the thieves hit it again, but walked away empty handed.
Most Prius are "totaled" after a cat theft, due to the high cost of repairs.

They also hit my head mechanic's truck... $7,000 just in parts, labor additional.
New diesel trucks have the entire undercarriage filled with smog hardware.

The catalytic on my 1991 is worth about $5 at a recycle yard.
The thieves hit mine as well, but it is also caged.

Archived