SASS Wire Forum

Mag fed 12 guage shotgun

Chicago kidd

I have a question. They say a lot of 12 guage mag fed shotguns need 250 rounds through them to run consistently. Wouldnt sitting there and racking it up and down 250 to 500 times accomplished the same thing without wasting all them shells. Just curious 

2 minutes ago, Chicago kidd said:

I have a question. They say a lot of 12 guage mag fed shotguns need 250 rounds through them to run consistently. Wouldnt sitting there and racking it up and down 250 to 500 times accomplished the same thing without wasting all them shells. Just curious 

Probably but the other way is more fun!

45 minutes ago, Chicago kidd said:

Just get some snap caps...

"They" is, generally, nuts.   Clean the shotgun mag tube of any rust inducing or preventing treatments, and load 'er up.

The only firearms that I've "broken in" with 250 rounds are steel frame semi-auto pistols, like the Colt 1911 Browning design.   The finely machined locking lugs and barrel link in that design that are hard to polish at the factory and better to just "shoot into final fit"   And that does go faster with live round firing than "dry" racking.

good luck, GJ

These AR style shotguns need to be dialed in to the shells you run. They are quite picky about ammo, especially between heavy and light loads. This 250 round period is more to dial in the gas block settings than to mechanically break the gun in (like you do with a precision 1911).

19 minutes ago, Pariah, SASS #26619 said:

These AR style shotguns

Who asks about AR semi-auto box magazine shotguns in a cowboy forum?

How about moving this to the Saloon!

OK, now that we're Just Sayin' in the saloon...

My understanding, if you are asking about tuning in a Stoner or Kalashnikov style shotgun, is that you would have to fire live rounds to be making adjustments and making certain that the full operation was running smoothly under pressure for the type of ammo you intend to shoot.   Which just might be some expensive and hard to find ammo. 

Just one more reason that I would not have one of those bulky and less-than-life-protectingly-reliable shotguns.  But that doesn't mean there's not some use they might be suited to.  :blink:

The live fire is so that things seat properly. You could disassemble the gun and hone all the surfaces that rub together and such but where’s the fun in that? 

Every semiauto I have owned  has had some break period in to it. Even my “Perfection” Glocks. 500 rounds each and then they all of a sudden shoot smaller groups. Same goes for AR-15s and other semiauto rifles. 

Archived