SASS Wire Forum

Who Invites the Local LEOs To SASS Matches?

Cholla

I have. I contacted the police department in Chino Valley and told them about our monthly matches. Their range is just 300 yards away so I thought it would be fun and relationship building. They thanked me and said they would spread the word. So far no one has shown up. I was leaving a local restaurant about two months ago just as four LEOs were leaving. I got tongue tied trying to invite them out to a match. One of the older guys had actually been in SASS back in California before it moved. I tried to get him to come out but they seemed in a hurry to get away from the raving lunatic talking about dressings up like a cowboy!

5 minutes ago, Cholla said:

............  but they seemed in a hurry to get away from the raving lunatic talking about dressings up like a cowboy!

..... imagine that ........

;)

Kudos for inviting them :)

Over/under this side of the fishin' hole they'd probably have a conniption if they came to our match .....   :mellow:

When I was a LEO, I became the stereotypical cop who "used to" do a lot of things, including SASS.  The fact of the matter is, very few cops work Monday through Friday during the day.  Shift work kills all social engagements.

We used to have an annual “Cowboys and Cops” match, where local LEOs were invited. Cowboys would write 3 stages and a local LEO would write 3 stages and everyone would shoot them with their respective guns. Cowboys with SASS guns and cops with their Glocks/ARs/870s, etc. (Rifle targets were cardboard for safety) We’d have a big raffle for charity, and everyone had a great time. The match faded away, but with all the attacks on law enforcement over the past few years, I’d love to see it come back. 

4 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

When I was a LEO, I became the stereotypical cop who "used to" do a lot of things, including SASS.  The fact of the matter is, very few cops work Monday through Friday during the day.  Shift work kills all social engagements.

not that I was in any sort of law enforcement, ....

....... but I have noticed that "shiftwork", of any sort/kind, is spelled with one too many "f"s.  ^_^

I just invite the guys and Gals I like to the farm , for coffee and then off to the private range 

I swipe their brass , cost of admission , price of coffee and snacks make it very expencive 

last time they wiped out 2 gal bags of home made jerky , time to make a bunch more 

CB 

7 hours ago, Possum Stu said:

We used to have an annual “Cowboys and Cops” match, where local LEOs were invited. Cowboys would write 3 stages and a local LEO would write 3 stages and everyone would shoot them with their respective guns. Cowboys with SASS guns and cops with their Glocks/ARs/870s, etc. (Rifle targets were cardboard for safety) We’d have a big raffle for charity, and everyone had a great time. The match faded away, but with all the attacks on law enforcement over the past few years, I’d love to see it come back. 

Same here, we used to have a Cops and Cowboys shoot with all the money going to the Ohio Rescue Dogs. I miss having that, there's talk about reviving it at our club.

Not all cops are "gun guys".  In fact, the vast majority of cops don't shoot their duty guns more than the departmentally mandated number of rounds per year.  Not a few don't even "own" a gun, as their department issues them their carry weapon.  

But some, like me, are.  And some, like some of my cop friends, like to shoot only what's relevant to them (duty style firearms).   

Keep asking.  Sooner or later, some of them might show up and learn that there's enjoyment in shooting the cowboy stuff.

2 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Same here

What's funny about that is... we shoot with so many LEO's, both active and retired. 

We have a number of retired LEO's and US Marshals in our club. But we did the cops and cowboys thing once. We did the gun switch etc. The cops weren't used to shooting multiple targets at different distances and transitioning between guns.  They did not have fun. We invited them back. Their station supplied all the ammo and they could use their service guns. No one showed.

I kind of see as inviting a gynecologist to a bottomless bar! 

We actually did a cop vs cowboy event years ago...took so real looking on my department of about 500 to get 10 or so to shoot. After being on the range staff for a few years I can tell ya Lawman Mark is right. Not a lot of cops are gun guys, and it's getting even fewer with the newer generation incoming, sadly. I tried for a number of years to get a pistol/rifle team going on the department.

On 12/3/2021 at 12:22 AM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

....... but I have noticed that "shiftwork", of any sort/kind, is spelled with one too many "f"s.  ^_^

12 years for me... graveyard shift to get away from management and the endless "call outs" the day people had to endure.
My neighbor was surprised to see I actually did sleep in the garage (4 noisy kids in the house).
The fun part:  had to stay up on my nights off to avoid jet lag... great catching the eldest daughter coming home stinking drunk and peeing in the bushes and falling down the stairs.

• 4 weeks later...

We host an annual Cops & Cowboys event with all proceeds of the match going to a Charity that supports the families of fallen 1st responders in our area, Heroes, Inc.  Between the Thurmont Rangers, and the Damascus Wildlife Rangers, we have been doing this for about more than 10 years and have a loyal following of Cops.  Obviously, many of them have scheduled conflicts, but they do try and go.

We let the Cops shoot their duty guns, AR-15/M4s, semi-auto pistols, and semi-auto or pump shotguns.  We use cardboard rifle targets so that our steel doesn't get beat-up.  Basically, the Cops follow the rules for Wild Bunch, and the Cowboys follow the Cowboy Rules.  Only two categories, Cops & Cowboys, but we will also let the Wild Bunch players participate if we get a couple of them.  We ask the Cops to dress in "Something Tactical" but certainly not their full gear, we are shooting WITH them not AT them. :P

Some of the Cops that show up are members at the host club, but we have also had several local police departments send a squad of 4 or 5 shooters and consider it a training exercise.  Heard one of the Sheriff's tell his deputies, "Check your ego's at the door, these Cowboys can shoot!"  It's all for fun, and bragging rights, and of course for the Charity, although we do hand out a plaque for the Top Cowboy and Top Cop after the match.  Over the last 5 years, we have raised over $5,000.00 for Heroes, Inc.

We have a couple of dedicated Cops who have practiced to get better and even had a few of them win the match a couple of times, but generally the top 3 to 5 slots are filled with Cowboys.  As we tell them, it's not how fast you can pull the trigger, it's about smooth transitions and keeping your head in the game.

While we may all think that Cops are by nature Gun Guys, but nothing can be farther from the truth.  They are like the rest of the population, some are gun guys, but for most of them their guns are just tools of the trade.  They only pull them out and fire them when they need to do their qualification test.  Around here, they are issued one side arm and one long gun, either rifle or shotgun, and that is it.  We had one Cop a few years ago who had never fired a shotgun in his life!

We generally run 6 stages, with three Cop themed and three Cowboy themed.  If you want to see what the stages for 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019, there are links to the stages on the following page as well as some information about the "Cop Rules" we use.  (Need to get that updated to include 2021, Covid prevented us from having one in 2020)

Cops & Cowboys

Archived