SASS Wire Forum

So do you pay it forward?

Finagler 6853 Life

I've heard of some great stories about people doing good things for complete strangers.  Buying meals for service men/women in airports, paying for someone's groceries, making up the difference on someone's bill, buying a kid a toy, etc but have not taken the opportunity to pay it forward myself.  A couple weeks ago, I was in the drive through at uncle Ronald's steakhouse, placed my order and pulled ahead as I could.  As I got forward enough, I could hear the driver of the truck behind me place an order for two black coffees.  I could see the driver had one of those "I served" military type ball caps.  I couldn't make out which branch or place of service but I could see the ribbon on the cap and the driver looked to be as old as I am so I assume Viet Nam.  Anyway, when I got to the window to pay, I told the clerk that I wanted to pay for the next truck's order.  $2.50, not a big deal but a small token of appreciation.  I have not done this before as I am a bit socially awkward doing these kinds of things as sometimes people take offense by it and I don't want profuse displays of gratitude.  I get uncomfortable when people buy me drinks as I am more than capable of paying for my own and I don't want to burden someone.  I just wanted to do something nice for a former serviceman and his wife.  It sounded like they could have been having "words" as well.  I got my food and I could see in my mirror that he was a bit confused when the cashier told him I had paid for his coffees but he waved at me, I waved back and went on my merry way.  It felt kind of weird but good.  I hope it made their day better.

What's your experience?

I have been on both sides of this coin.   I have been helped greatly,  and do my best to repay where I can.   The first time was a bit awkward but it gets easier. 

:FlagAm: The first weekend of December Annie and I go to Prescott for the Christmas Parade and Courthouse lighting.  Two years ago as we were waiting on our lunch order at our favorite pizza joint, four Prescott Police Officers that had been working the parade came in.  After they had ordered, I asked our waitress to bring me their bill.  I asked her not to tell them who paid.  The looks on their faces was priceless.

ChasB

With the unforgiving Job our Boys and Girls in Blue have to do these days .

Seems like they are wrong in the eyes of most of the news and 1/2 of the Citizens these days  .

I usually will pick up there tab at any place Im having lunch and they come in to eat .

If they know it was me , I will tell them , 

( Thank you for your Service to our City and  its Citizens ,  its the least I can do . )

If they dont know its me , I will  thell them , 

( Thank you for your Service to our City and its Citizens  . )

Im  Just Standing with that Thin Blue Line !

So Saith The Rooster .

The BEST gifts are:

unexpected;

from someone you don't, or hardly know;

from someone not expecting even a 'thank you';

and...for no particular reason at all. 

I have paid for someone's lunch, or supper, without them knowing it, and I told the waitress not to reveal who did it. I just wanted to see their faces, when they were told their check had been paid. Seeing their reactions was priceless. I don't pick out any particular group, I just sometimes look around, and make a decision, for no reason. Sometimes it's a serviceman/woman, a first responder, an elderly person eating alone, a young person, or someone that looks "down-on-their-luck". The one I remember was an older man....he got his meal, and then bowed his head and said a prayer of thanks. The decision to pay for his meal, was a no-brainer for me. 

Random acts of kindness. A win-win situation, for both parties. 

So...do you play it forward? I would say yes. But be proactive, and do it without it having it been done to you first. 

Yes I do. It can be a dark world. Light a candle.

I do it frequently.

I often look in my rear view mirror and if the person behind me in the 'Drive-thru' is either Elder or has a 'Handicap' placard hanging

off their mirror, I will often buy for them.

I might add that I have also been the recipient of someones kindness.   Its a good feeling to both Give & Receive.

..........Widder

I was in the Oklahoma City Airport once waiting for my flight when about 6 or 8 young soldiers looked like fresh out of boot camp came in and went to get coffee. I went up to them and offered to pay for whatever they wanted. They politely thanked me and turned down my offer.

I have paid for people behind me in a fast-food drive through. 

I frequently pick up the bill of law enforcement or first responders are in a restaurant where I am.   My brother in law and nephew are both law enforcement and I know what an underpaid thankless job it is.   I never tell them who paid.  I have also been known to drop a very generous tip on hard working wait staff.  Was having dinner on christmas eve and our waitress not only was phenomenal but was eight months pregnant and had other kids at home, working so she could buy them christmas presents.  I dropped a $200 tip and she tried to give it back but I insisted. She asked my wife if she could hug me.  She was crying and said I just made her kid's christmas.  I got some dust in my eyes as well.

Similar story to Jack Spade. When I travel I always went to the same few restaurants and sat at the bar to eat. You get to know the people. One of the young women I got to know and she was pregnant. She had told me money was tight and they were trying to just make ends meet. This was before she was pregnant.

I left a $100 bill for her. She chased me down and said she couldn't take. I said its been in my wallet for a year looking for someone to help.

She asked how to repay me. I said when you're my age find someone you can help.  She said she would. Best $100 I ever spent.

I was at menards with my daughter and they had a table full of toys. This 8 year oud boy was holding a truck in his hand as i passed i said cool truck and he said yeah its the last one. He looked so excited the sign said 4.99 so  i saw his mom so i pulled out 6 bucks and asked her if i could pay for the truck he was about to show her. She looked puzzled and said ok. I handed her the money and walked away. I saw the boy with a big old grin and he said jee thanks mister. And i just smiled it felt good

It's alway very special to help someone that can most likely never have the means to repay you for what you do , Like a Clean, Safe supply to a village in Northern Uganda for 1,500 people ...

Or teaching someone to weld so they can live better lives ...

Jabez Cowboy 

yes , in more than just this venue , but i do so not just because i was the recipient of similar , i like helping others in the small ways most of us do and really dont like having all that stuff around when i no longer have use of it , theres always new stuff coming into my life , 

Archived