SASS Wire Forum

Need info on shipping 1884 rifle

Irish Pat

Well I took my 1884 carbine to the US Post Office to ship it and told them since it was made before 1898 they could ship it for me.  Now they act like they don’t know what to do? Anyone know where it get the regulations to show them or am I wrong

You are correct and can look up the USPS and ATF rules but why did you tell them what was in the box?  Even when mailing modern long guns to an FFL you don't need to tell them what is in the box.

I was mailing a long gun. Legal to do. Postman asked what was in the box. I told him “a legal shipment” he held box up to his shoulder like is was a gun and winked 

For example, here is a snippet of guideance from ATF -

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

I added the bold italics in the last sentence.  The P.O. does not want markings on the box indicating there is a firearm inside.  The clerks don't need to know what is inside either.  That is an invitation to theft.  If there is another P.O. in your area I would just go to a different P.O.

A while back, I wrote an email to the ATF asking if it was legal for me to mail an antique handgun through the federal mail.  They sent me a nice response saying that antique firearms are exempt from shipping restrictions and that I could send them by federal mail.  I have a similar letter from the ATF about sending antique rifles.  Now when I send antique guns by federal mail , I include a copy of the appropriate letter inside the package along with a note to “whom it may concern” explaining what is being shipped.  I don’t tell them what’s in the package but If someone gets their nickers in a twist, I am legally covered.  

54 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You're using a real post office, and not one of those store front deals I hope.

OLG 

This^^^^

Be aware that 99% of all postal employees don’t have a clue about the regulations concerning the shipment of fire arms by anyone other than a FFL. 

Archived