SASS Wire Forum

Technology...has it been a good thing?

Singin' Sue 71615

I gotta say...some technology has been great. I value the things that have improved life for many, young and old alike.

But yet, sometimes the technology just prolongs what is to come...making it harsh.

I think of all the little things I enjoy now.

TV remote

Kids room monitors

Cell phone

Dishwasher

Washer/dryer

Heat with a push of the button

Oven/stove at the turn of a knob

Water at demand, HOT water at that...

This list goes on.

I also think we would all be healthier/fit without all these things.

We no longer get up and go to the TV to change the channel.

We no longer get up and see what time it is, or answer the phone.

We don't stand at the sink and wash/rinse/dry and put away after supper.

Scrubbing/wringing clothes then out the door to hang on the line...

What got me thinking about this?:mellow:

Brodie sat the moniter beside me, as the kids nap and she runs errands.

This way I need not get up and check on the babes, and can SPEAK to them if need be!

I wonder why I have put on an extra 75 lbs!!!

20211202_112604.jpg

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

No...you are correct...I can't eat it...but, the lack of excercise has some to do with it.

So 60%- 40%.

One way folks let technology work for them is using the Health App on their phones to count steps. If you don’t reach a certain goal the phone lets you know. Some of my guys at work do this. 

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One way folks let technology work for them is using the Health App on their phones to count steps. If you don’t reach a certain goal the phone lets you know. Some of my guys at work do this. 

Yup.

I am my own enemy there!!! I just don't do it!!!

In the Bad Ol' Days of medicine, before the Da Vinci robot was invented... a prostatectomy involved being cut open from stem to stern, and left open on the operating table while they did biopsies in real time to determine if the prostate was indeed cancerous.

Once that determination was made, they cut it out with a chainsaw, and left the patient both impotent and incontinent for the rest of his life.

Today, the operation lasts 3.75 hours.
They hang you upside down like a bat, so your guts slide high up in your chest cavity.
This makes for an easier job.

The Da Vinci robot is a 4 hand video game tool.
The mechanical reduction in each of the four arms is 4:1.
Move 1/4" in the hand set, the tool moves 1/16" inside the body.
This makes for very high precision.

The camera is full screen, full color so the doc can see up close what he is working on.
It takes all that time to carefully separate the bundles of nerves and blood vessels that surround the prostate.

The end result of the invention of the Da Vinci surgical machine is being cancer-free, able to pee like a 20-year old, and a very happy wife.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What did our ancestors do?

Technological advances reduce the amount of time it takes to do some chores, but it also allows you

to chose to use that increased free time to do things, or to sit around and not do things.

It's like we say: a gun doesn't kill people, and a spoon doesn't make you fat.

There was nothing good about the good old days other than we were younger and didn't know better.

I like my modern medicine, dentistry, cars, household gadgets, progressive reloading presses, radio and TV,

internet, aircraft, etc.

SC

Technology is neither good nor bad.  It is how we make use of it.   Look at the prosthetic limbs we have now, a big step up from the peg leg or a hook.   Smart phones?  I've reported accidents that I've seen, called in crimes in progress (domestic violence across the street from the church), taken photos for work to instantly report a problem with incoming goods - and sent them to the vendor so the vendor knows the problem.  

Just as with any tool, it is the person using it that determines if it is good or bad.

I'm not a total Luddite, but I swing that way.

I don't hate cell phones per say, but I hate what they've become. I hate what people have let their phones do to them. People sitting together in what used to be a social situation ALL staring at their phones. People walking along bumping into things because they're staring at their phones. People behind the wheel of their car, causing ME to have to take evasive action in a 50,000 lb. truck loaded with hazardous materials because they're staring at their phones. People at the gym holding ME up on my workout because they're sitting on the piece of equipment I want to use... staring at their phone. 

"Social Media" telling these same people what to think by censoring facts and substituting THEIR opinions. 

I've only recently gotten a smartphone because I'm thinking about driving a taxi, and THEY do everything by phone. The first thing I did, (when I figured out how), was to DELETE the games that came on the thing. 

I will say that I LOVE my DVR. THAT is the piece of tech that I approve of. Of course, some would say I watch too much T.V.

Side Note... I still like steel framed guns with wood, (and maybe poly or bonded ivory), grips.

Archived