SASS Wire Forum

We need a Winter Soup thread...

Singin' Sue 71615

5 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Not exactly.  COLORADO green chile.

Thanks, Modoc.  This looks right.  Will be cutting the heat a bit.

It worked well by reducing the Serrano by 1/2, regular chili powder and omitting the green tobasco sauce.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m making a vegetable beef soup that my grandmother taught me when I was seven or eight years old.  I HAVE taken a few liberties over the years, but it’s still a rustic, homey winter cold beater!

I use 4lbs. cubed beef, (better cuts when the budget allows), 2lbs. of small redskin potatoes, quartered, a big bag of carrot coins, a large red onion, a large white onion, a single inside stalk of celery, chopped, a big double handful of chopped mushrooms, and a couple of crushed cloves of garlic.

I slice the white onion thin and then cut the slices in quarters. A quarter stick of butter, the onions and the mushrooms go into a big skillet and get cooked down until the onions become translucent but not to the point of browning. Add more butter if needed. I scoop out the solid stuff and drop it into my soup pot. 

I then brown the cubed beef in the liquid left in the skillet along with the garlic. Some Worstershire and black pepper go in here. Again!! Don’t over cook the beef! Save the liquid and dump the beef into the soup pot.

Add some light cooking oil to what’s in the skillet and lightly brown the potatoes with a little salt and some basil and oregano. I don’t peel my potatoes!! Separate the ‘taters off into the soup pot and reserve the liquid again for the carrots.

The carrots are next into the skillet with a little more butter, some more Worstershire and a sprinkle of sugar. Cook low and slow until the coins are just starting to brown/darken. When they’re just beginning to brown, dump them and all of whatever is left in the skillet into the soup pot.

I usually take a teacup of water and pour it into the skillet to lift out all the flavors off the bottom and dump that into the soup pot too.

Chop the celery stalk and the red onion coarsly and add them to the pot.

My granny added crushed tomatoes here, but I always hated their texture. For years, I would substitute tomato sauce, but now I use Spicy V8 instead. About half a large bottle of V8 and a couple cups of water and a little salt, (I don’t cook with a lot of salt, but you need a little bit here) some more black pepper and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, (granny didn’t use the red pepper flakes either).

Cook this low and slow, covered, until the celery ‘bout disappears, the carrots are tender, and the ‘taters will easily mash with a fork.  If the liquid gets low, add more water or more V8 if it suits ya’!

Serve with a hard bread like French or Italian or with cornbread if you like it.

If you start at first light, it’ll be ready for supper!  It’ll last ya’s several days and you can freeze it too if you want.

8 hours ago, Modoc said:

It worked well by reducing the Serrano by 1/2, regular chili powder and omitting the green tobasco sauce.

Yeah.  The chili I ate & loved in S/E Colorado was not all that spicy.  My friend who lives there says she never bothered to learn to make it because you can get it, literally, everywhere.

Garbage Pail Soup...

Made a 1/2 n 1/2 base of chx and beef

Threw in mystery meat from the freezer (ended up being grounf Italian sasauge.)

Handfull of pepercinis

Brussel sprouts and cabbage, carrots, celery...all starting to limp out.

Threw in a 1/2 glass or so of red wine

Garlic and spices to season...

Pretty tastey.

20220212_150045.jpg

5 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Garbage Pail Soup...

Made a 1/2 n 1/2 base of chx and beef

Threw in mystery meat from the freezer (ended up being grounf Italian sasauge.)

Handfull of pepercinis

Brussel sprouts and cabbage, carrots, celery...all starting to limp out.

Threw in a 1/2 glass or so of red wine

Garlic and spices to season...

Pretty tastey.

20220212_150045.jpg

Sounds right tasty!!

Archived