SASS Wire Forum

We need a Winter Soup thread...

Singin' Sue 71615

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That sounds interesting.  But the links go to "not found."

Yeah, I copied that recipe quite a few moons ago.  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Last Call Saul said:

I used to work in Hungarian restaurant in Israel and loved that soup - but we always had it chilled in summer.  Goulash soup or sour cabage soup was served in winter

We usually serve it chilled as well.  Usually as a dessert.  But yes it can be  served warm too..

1 minute ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Hmmmmm...I do not.

Have you looked any up on line???

I am partial to just good old beef and red chilie chili

"She-who-must-be-obeyed", here, has the recipe, and makes it quite often. I will text it to you, from my antique flip phone. 

She uses a few Fritos, in each bowl, for garnish...but you could use whatever you wish. 

Once you try it, let me know what you think.

Just now, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

"She-who-must-be-obeyed", here, has the recipe, and makes it quite often. I will text it to you, from my antique flip phone. 

She uses a few Fritos, in each bowl, for garnish...but you could use whatever you wish. 

Once you try it, let me know what you think.

Thanks. I will try.

Thank the Queen for me.

Maybe send it email???

On 12/6/2021 at 4:44 PM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I don't have your e-mail address....text it to me, and I will e-mail "She-who-must-be-obeyed" recipe. 

Just e-mailed you some recipes from: "She-who-must-be-obeyed"...including her recipe for White Chili.  It is easy, just put the ingredients into a crock pot, and let the pot do the cooking. It's pretty good on a cold winter evening...or so I am told. We don't have many of those around here.

As the citified yuppies, and the yankees say:..."enjoy".  :D

W.K.

HAM AND POTATO SOUP

3-1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
3-1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon black or white pepper (I use only 1/2 teaspoon)
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk

Combine potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to
a boil, cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15
minutes. Stir in bouillon, salt and pepper. In a separate saucepan, melt
butter; whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
Slowly stir in milk and continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick,
4 to 5 minutes. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot and cook until
heated through. Serves 8

I'm looking to try some white cheddar asparagus soup Friday night.

Got a model railroad club party tonight, breakfast with a whole herd of cowboy shooters ( a routine on Thursday mornings at 7:00 ), a party at some friends' house tomorrow night, Christmas dinner with the same mob of shooters on Saturday night, Tuesday lunch with some friends at Jen's Cafe, Wednesday is the Elks Opera House Guild Christmas party, and a few more I'll have to check out before The Big Day.

I'll eat more in that 10 day span than in any single month the rest of the year.  My doctor is going to have a thing or so to say about it....and she doesn't pull any punches.  I'll probably be on a diet again by New Years Day.

36 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'm looking to try some white cheddar asparagus soup Friday night.

Got a model railroad club party tonight, breakfast with a whole herd of cowboy shooters ( a routine on Thursday mornings at 7:00 ), a party at some friends' house tomorrow night, Christmas dinner with the same mob of shooters on Saturday night, Tuesday lunch with some friends at Jen's Cafe, Wednesday is the Elks Opera House Guild Christmas party, and a few more I'll have to check out before The Big Day.

I'll eat more in that 10 day span than in any single month the rest of the year.  My doctor is going to have a thing or so to say about it....and she doesn't pull any punches.  I'll probably be on a diet again by New Years Day.

Recipie if you like it!!!

Recipe is simple:  get a Package of Recipe soup mix.  It is very simple: get a package of White Cheddar Asparagus Soup mix (Intermountain Specialty Food Group, Inc. Salt Lake City) and follow the directions.

They have a bunch of other meals, too.

Also check out Soups Online for soup and dip mixes galore.

Mine will be ready in a jiff and I've already added a quarter teaspoon of Gulden's spicy mustard and a half teaspoon of Irish butter to it.  I'll have bread and butter pickles and saltines with it and wash it down with a bottle of Sioux City sarsparilla.

Well, the mustard was a mistake.  I was alright, but not the right flavor.

Butter added nor subtracted anything from it.  Made a cup of each and one of both.  Made three cups just like it came from the package.  One package makes six cups and I gotta say "Damn that was GOOOOOD!!"

Got two cups left over for tomorrow.  Might add a tad of bacon grease to one just to see how it turns out.

12 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Well, the mustard was a mistake.  I was alright, but not the right flavor.

Butter added nor subtracted anything from it.  Made a cup of each and one of both.  Made three cups just like it came from the package.  One package makes six cups and I gotta say "Damn that was GOOOOOD!!"

Got two cups left over for tomorrow.  Might add a tad of bacon grease to one just to see how it turns out.

Ginger might give it that perk you are looking for.

Sounds wonderful.

May have to buy a package and figure out the base to make homemade.

• 1 month later...

let's bump this topic up!

last night I made one of my favorite winter soups - Georgian (Caucasian Country, not US State) Kharcho

Basic recipes are all over the place. but this one is kinda close and uses ingridients available in USA

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/georgian-beef-soup-kharcho

a few things I do different - I brown the meat and then add water to cook the broth.  I also add large carrot, whole leek, bell peppers and whole onions to the stock - I remove them after stock is ready.

I also roast everything else first - chopped onions, blended tomatoes, walnuts, spices, tomato paste separately in the pan and then add to the stock.  

I am lucky that I live in the area where I can easily get the authentic Georgian spice mix - Khmeli-Suneli (you can find the basic recipe for the mix online)and the Tkemali sour plum souce (there are substitues - like tamarind paste and other options) - just goodle it

30253111_20644 (2).jpg

30253111_20652 (2).jpg

30253111_20668.jpg

I made up a large pot of cabbage soup with hot sausage.   Great warmer upper and low cal to boot       GW

Two batches of turkey soup made here. I had the Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey carcasses frozen.

Now I have a supply in the freezer, for a little while!!

Took some into the LTC home and fed my wife a treat. 

4 hours ago, G W Wade said:

I made up a large pot of cabbage soup with hot sausage.   Great warmer upper and low cal to boot       GW

I made a pot of cabbage and ground turkey, carrots and potato....dash of hot 'juice' in the bowl!! Yum!

4 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Two batches of turkey soup made here. I had the Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey carcasses frozen.

Now I have a supply in the freezer, for a little while!!

Took some into the LTC home and fed my wife a treat. 

Oh...I bet she was very happy!!!

She was, but then she cried.

She isn't dong well and we are both very lonely apart like this.

It was a family tradition that each winter the folks would make a huge pot of beef soup.  I'm sure it was a simple recipe starting with a large roast.  The vegetables came from products from the garden canned for winter.  Made in the biggest pot they had, it seemed to last for weeks. 

13 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

It was a family tradition that each winter the folks would make a huge pot of beef soup.  I'm sure it was a simple recipe starting with a large roast.  The vegetables came from products from the garden canned for winter.  Made in the biggest pot they had, it seemed to last for weeks. 

I make HUGE pots of vegetable soups/stews and freeze half.

I could live on soup!!

My daughter and her husband got me a soup of the month club membership form an outfit called Camp Traditions out of Shakopee, MN.

Between the first and second months I got two bags, each making about 8 cups of soup.  First was three cheese soup and next will be beef and barley.

I was going to make the cheese one first but still had a ton of leftovers from Christmas.  I'll rectify that this week.

2½-3 lbs of pork tenderloin cut into 3/8 inch cubes
2 tbs. vegetable oil
1 large onion diced
6 cloves of garlic – pressed
6 jalapeño peppers roasted seeded and diced
4 Poblano peppers roasted seeded and diced
4 Serrano peppers seeded finely diced
6 4 oz cans of diced green chilies – divided in half
1 14 oz. can of chicken broth
2 10 oz. can green enchilada sauce
1 7oz. can green salsa verde
1 tbs. cumin
1 tbs. powdered green jalapeño  (substituted Hot Mexican Chile Powder)
2 tsp. powdered green chili  (substituted 1 tsp. white pepper)
Tabasco green pepper sauce for heat

2 tsp. corn starch for thickening
Salt to taste

Instructions:
Allow for 3 hours of cooking time

In a 6 quart pot, brown the pork in the vegetable oil and garlic. Add the remaining ingredients (using only half of the canned green chilies *) to the pot and simmer for 2 hours. You may need to add some water during the cooking time to keep the mixture covered.
With 30-40 minutes of cooking time left add the remaining green chilies *
10 minutes before the end of the cooking period adjust the thickness, salt and heat.

*the salt level drops each time you add the green chilies so be sure to check salt level and add salt each time as needed

Note: To roast the peppers place over open flame (gas burner or grill) and cook till skins blacken and blister.  Remove from heat and place in a closed paper bag for 15 minutes.  Skin can then be removed from the peppers by gently peeling or rubbing with a paper towel.

1 minute ago, Modoc said:
2½-3 lbs of pork tenderloin cut into 3/8 inch cubes
2 tbs. vegetable oil
1 large onion diced
6 cloves of garlic – pressed
6 jalapeño peppers roasted seeded and diced
4 Poblano peppers roasted seeded and diced
4 Serrano peppers seeded finely diced
6 4 oz cans of diced green chilies – divided in half
1 14 oz. can of chicken broth
2 10 oz. can green enchilada sauce
1 7oz. can green salsa verde
1 tbs. cumin
1 tbs. powdered green jalapeño  (substituted Hot Mexican Chile Powder)
2 tsp. powdered green chili  (substituted 1 tsp. white pepper)
Tabasco green pepper sauce for heat

2 tsp. corn starch for thickening
Salt to taste

Instructions:
Allow for 3 hours of cooking time

In a 6 quart pot, brown the pork in the vegetable oil and garlic. Add the remaining ingredients (using only half of the canned green chilies *) to the pot and simmer for 2 hours. You may need to add some water during the cooking time to keep the mixture covered.
With 30-40 minutes of cooking time left add the remaining green chilies *
10 minutes before the end of the cooking period adjust the thickness, salt and heat.

*the salt level drops each time you add the green chilies so be sure to check salt level and add salt each time as needed

Note: To roast the peppers place over open flame (gas burner or grill) and cook till skins blacken and blister.  Remove from heat and place in a closed paper bag for 15 minutes.  Skin can then be removed from the peppers by gently peeling or rubbing with a paper towel.

This^^

Except I like 'bite size' everything, chunky style.

Take away the jalapinos.

Take away the can green enchilada sauce and sub frozen chop green chili...Autumn roast if available.

This makes awesome Huevos Rancheros!!!

Back up a ways someone mentioned stew.

Get a package of McCormick Beef Stew Mix and grab your crock pot.  Put in the stew meat, four cups of water and a quarter teaspoon of corn starch to thicken the liquid to begin with.  Then add whatever vegetables you like (spuds, Bermuda onion, carrots, pole beans, a  couple of spoons full of pearled barley (prepare it in advance), niblets, and whatever else you might fancy) and follow the directions.  On medium heat it took about six hours for some of the best stew I ever ate.

Serve it with country biscuits or corn bread, maybe a side of pickled beats, any beverage of your liking, and a handful on napkins to wipe your chin.

Good for a couple of meals at least.

My favorite is Gazpacho soup from Andalusia, Spain.

• 3 pounds (about 4 large) very ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into rough 1-inch chunks

• 1/2 pound (about 1 small) cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into rough 1-inch chunks

• 1/3 pound (about 1 small) small red onion, peeled and cut into rough 1-inch chunks

• 1/3 pound (about 1 medium) green or red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into rough 1-inch chunks

• 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed

• 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste

• 4 ounces (about 2 slices) white sandwich, French, or Italian bread, crusts removed, torn into rough 1-inch pieces (see note)

• 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving

• 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, plus more for serving

• 2 tablespoons finely minced chives

• Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

1. Combine tomatoes, cucumber, onion, pepper, garlic, and salt in a large bowl and toss to coat thoroughly. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Drain juices into a large bowl and add the bread. Transfer the drained vegetables to a rimmed baking sheet and place in freezer until vegetables are frozen, about 30 minute.

2. Remove vegetables from freezer and allow to sit at room temperature until mostly thawed, about 30 minutes. Transfer vegetables and all their juices from the pan to bowl with soaked bread.

3. Working in two batches as necessary, blend vegetables, juice, and bread at high speed, slowly drizzling olive oil and sherry vinegar into blender as it blends. Strain soup through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve, drizzling each bowl with olive oil, a few sprinkles of sherry vinegar, extra cracked black pepper, and chives. Gazpacho can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Special equipment 

Blender

16 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Aha! Chili Verde.

Not exactly.  COLORADO green chile.

Thanks, Modoc.  This looks right.  Will be cutting the heat a bit.

Archived