Green onion

ACV (apple cider vinegar)

Parmesan

Salt

Pepper

Garlic powder

Cumin powder

Prep:

Cook chopped onion, garlic, ginger in pot untill tender.

Add broth (I used 8 cups)

Add chopped carrotts (I used 5 medium)

Cook for about 10 min for carrott to soften...just a bit, like aldantè (?) pasta.

Add ACV ( I used tablespoon for a good zing) start with just a tsp at a time.

Add salt, pepper, cumin,garlic powder to taste.

Put everything into a blender and go for it! ( I used smoothie setting)

**to make a bit creamier, add a shot or two of milk

Top off with a bit of grated parmesan and green onion.

Yummy!!!

20211202_082809.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Chunky Chicken Noodle:

Open can, pour in bowl, microwave, enjoy!:D

Having some today. That works! 

Okay…

My wife made homemade Turkey soup. Had some yesterday and probably having it for dinner today. 

Her recipe:

I have no idea. She makes it. I eat it. It’s Nummy! :D

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Okay…

My wife made homemade Turkey soup. Had some yesterday and probably having it for dinner today. 

Her recipe:

I have no idea. She makes it. I eat it. It’s Nummy! :D

That does sound good!!!

I love soup...probably more than you love pie, or TW loves 'nanner splits!!!

Potato and Sauerkraut Soup with Kielbasa

To ensure a balanced flavor, rinse the sauerkraut before adding it to this soup. This tones down the intense sharpness of the sauerkraut and allows the smokey kielbasa and other aromatics to shine through.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons unsalted butter 
14 ounces kielbasa, diced
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced, plus 1/4 cup celery leaves, roughly chopped
1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 14.5-ounce can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed 
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
1/4  cup fresh dill, roughly chopped

Directions
Melt the butter in a large wide pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the kielbasa and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate, leaving the drippings in the pot.
Add the onion, diced celery and potatoes to the pot and cook, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon, until the onion and celery are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the caraway seeds and sauerkraut and cook, scraping up any remaining browned bits, 1 to 2 more minutes. Add 6 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, reduce the heat to a rapid simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Stir together the heavy cream and mustard in a small bowl. Once the potatoes are tender, reduce the heat to medium low and whisk the heavy cream mixture into the soup. Return the kielbasa to the pot. Increase the heat to medium and simmer until thickened slightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide the soup among bowls. Top with the chopped celery leaves and dill.

15 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... y'all do realise that the climate changed to summer 3 days ago .... right?   :huh:

Here in the USA, the seasons are considered to change with the equinoxes and solstices, which are around the 21st of mar, jun, sep, and dec. I have noticed that much of the rest of the world goes to the first of those months. It’s kind of like the miles vs kilometers thing.

Soup or Stew for single guys.

1 lb of good hamburger or beef cut in chunks (from the cow I had butchered and resides in my freezer)

1 Can of Hominy

2 cans of mixed vegetables

1 can of diced potatoes

Any other cans of vegetables you have in the cabinet that you have not used that fit in the pot. (use the ones you like)

1 box of Beef broth

Added water to fill the cooker to about a 1/2 inch from the top. ( if you don't have any water, beer is a good substitute)

Thaw the hamburger some and break it in to break it in to pieces. (microwave works)

Dump everything into the slow cooker and set it on a 3 -4. (Medium setting)

Add some salt, pepper, dried onion, steak seasoning, or any other seasonings the ex-wife left in the cabinet that have been there for years.

(Use the ones you have not found a use for but did not throw away)

Let cook for 6-8 hours, check and stir it every couple hours.

Serve with Ritz crackers and Co-jack Cheese squares. 

Pot Roast for single guys

1-2 lb roast from marked down section from the meat counter at the store

1 bag of peeled carrots (the cheap small ones for $.89 or so)

2 cans of new whole potatoes

1 box of beef  broth

Remove roast from all packaging and place roast in slow cooker.

Add bag of carrots and both cans of potatoes

Add box of beef broth.

Add water (or beer) until the roast and vegetables are covered with liquid

Add some salt, pepper, dried onion, steak seasoning, or any other seasonings the ex-wife left in the cabinet that have been there for years.

(Use the ones you have not found a use for but did not throw away)

Set on medium (3-4) for 5-8 hours, check with a fork and it is ready when the roast falls apart

Serve with butter for the potatoes and broth to add flavor.

Note: If she did not leave anything in the cabinet when she left, find the dry pouch of seasonings at the store marked pot roast

My basic, anytime soup recipe:

If you will have meat in your soup, cube it and sear it off in a large pot over high heat in a little butter and vegetable oil. Stir it about now and then so it doesn't burn.  When it is browned on all sides remove to a plate, cover to keep warm.  Meanwhile:

Peel and chop one or two large onions, about half a dozen large carrots, three or four ribs of celery.  In the same pot, or a large kettle over medium high heat sauté them in some butter and vegetable oil (or just the vegetable oil) until onions are translucent or slightly brown.  I'll add salt and pepper, plus any dried herbs or herb blends now.  Add about a tablespoon of chopped garlic if you like and cook for about a minute.  Add the meat and any juices back to the pot.

Now you start to play.

Add chicken or vegetable stock to cover by about an inch.  Bring to boil, reduce to simmer.  Adjust seasoning.  Simmer to allow flavors to meld.  

Or add a few jars of your favorite red sauce and some chicken or vegetable stock.  Adjust seasonings.

Or add a few cans of diced tomatoes, some tomato sauce, and stock.  I like to add garbanzo beans and kidney beans if I make a red soup.

You can "Mexican it up" with taco seasoning mix and cumin.  Or give it a Moroccan twist with a touch of cinnamon, some ground coriander, ground cumin, and harissa or ras al hanout seasoning.  

I can't cook very well and I've never tried making soup so my go to is Progreesso soups, the lower sodium ones. No need to add water just dump it in a pan and heat it up. They have a very good variety of soups. I always have a couple of cans on hand.

image.png.8cd52e22c24ded7810e684a9ef312997.png

Get yourself a potato soup kit.  Saute some onions & celery & green peppers.  And sausage.  Chicken broth.  Potato flakes to thicken it up a bit.

Stew beef chopped fine.  Home-canned tomatoes.  Leftover vegetables.  Simmer til it smells good.

On 12/2/2021 at 3:13 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Potato and Sauerkraut Soup with Kielbasa

Joe, I stole your recipe. Somehow the Sauerkraut distapeared from the entire text. Cabbage of any variety and I do not get along. The rest of the recipe looks really good. Thanks.

CJ

36 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Joe, I stole your recipe. Somehow the Sauerkraut distapeared from the entire text. Cabbage of any variety and I do not get along. The rest of the recipe looks really good. Thanks.

CJ

It's a Food Network recipe.  

Food is meant to be played with and adapted to the people eating it.

Maybe shreds some collards or swiss chard to replace the kraut.

Hungarian Cherry Soup.  It can be served hot or cold.  I like to add about half a fifth of spiced rum to it.  I make this for Christmas.

Ingredients:
2 24 ounce jars of sour cherry compote
1 24 ounce jar of sour cherries in rum
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cinnamon sticks
2-4 cloves in a tea ball
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cold water
1/4 cup flour
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
If desired- 1 packet of vanilla pudding (follow instructions before adding)

Directions:
• Drain cherries from cherry juice
• Put cherry juice in large pot and bring to boil (if cherry juice is not about 1 quart, add water)
• Add cherries, cinnamon sticks, cloves, sugar, and salt.
• Stir!
• Allow that to simmer for about 5 minutes, or until cherries are nice and soft.
• Whisk together the water and flour, and then slowly mix into the soup.
• Temper the egg yolks- slowly (a tablespoon at a time) add some of the hot soup to the yolks and whisk!
do this until you have about 2 cups (ish) of mixture. Then slowly add that to your soup, mixing the
whole time!
• Simmer that for about 4 minutes, stirring the whole time.
• Remove the soup from heat.
• Combine the sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla, and then temper that as you did the egg yolks.
• Slowly add the mixture to the soup, stirring constantly.
• If you wish, you can make some vanilla pudding and add it into the soup now.
• You can either enjoy it warm or chilled. 

based on what is been posted im gonna be eating soup all year - i agree we need this for this time of year , thanks for all the great offerings - ill ask my wife to offer one up but ive noticed she often just works with what we have left over and improvises as she goes , ive never been disappointed but as far as sharing goes she seldom has a real receipt  to offer , im no goood in the kitchen , im more better at the table 

if you want to experience a perfect winter soup, you have to experience a perfect winter - Russia... 

Borsch!... not fake Polish beet juice interpretation of it, but Ukranian/Russian version - that starts with beef shanks boiled to make stock, and meat shredded and added beets, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, spices and herbs!

you eat it with black rye bread, with smaltz on top of it (rendered pork or gooze fat with crumbs of skin in it) or with dry cured pork belly on the side, garlic...and vodka! (about 3-4 shots per portion of borsch)

I am going to have it next week - (my wife promised!)

here are pictures of Russian winter (my friends place on Finnish border) and my wife's borsch!

and the most typical recipe:

https://valentinascorner.com/borscht/

258789782_5142448885769834_5328378850481021309_n.jpg

261300620_5151870371494352_6740038983252570028_n.jpg

20201005_183952.jpg

20201123_184755.jpg

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Hungarian Cherry Soup.  It can be served hot or cold.  I like to add about half a fifth of spiced rum to it.  I make this for Christmas.

Ingredients:
2 24 ounce jars of sour cherry compote
1 24 ounce jar of sour cherries in rum
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cinnamon sticks
2-4 cloves in a tea ball
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cold water
1/4 cup flour
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
If desired- 1 packet of vanilla pudding (follow instructions before adding)

Directions:
• Drain cherries from cherry juice
• Put cherry juice in large pot and bring to boil (if cherry juice is not about 1 quart, add water)
• Add cherries, cinnamon sticks, cloves, sugar, and salt.
• Stir!
• Allow that to simmer for about 5 minutes, or until cherries are nice and soft.
• Whisk together the water and flour, and then slowly mix into the soup.
• Temper the egg yolks- slowly (a tablespoon at a time) add some of the hot soup to the yolks and whisk!
do this until you have about 2 cups (ish) of mixture. Then slowly add that to your soup, mixing the
whole time!
• Simmer that for about 4 minutes, stirring the whole time.
• Remove the soup from heat.
• Combine the sour cream, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla, and then temper that as you did the egg yolks.
• Slowly add the mixture to the soup, stirring constantly.
• If you wish, you can make some vanilla pudding and add it into the soup now.
• You can either enjoy it warm or chilled. 

I used to work in Hungarian restaurant in Israel and loved that soup - but we always had it chilled in summer.  Goulash soup or sour cabage soup was served in winter

29 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

Borsch!... not fake Polish beet juice interpretation of it, but Ukranian/Russian version

This guy uses too much meat and not enough beets.  Also cuts the cabbage too small, but otherwise pretty good.

14 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

This guy uses too much meat and not enough beets.  Also cuts the cabbage too small, but otherwise pretty good.

cabbage looks good to me - my wife does the same... meat is good amount but wrong wrong IMHO - it has to be round bones with marrow, beef, not ribs... yes, needs more beets!... but him being Azerbajani - it's tolerable

21 minutes ago, Last Call Saul said:

cabbage looks good to me - my wife does the same... meat is good amount but wrong wrong IMHO - it has to be round bones with marrow, beef, not ribs... yes, needs more beets!... but him being Azerbajani - it's tolerable

Well, if you're making Rich People's Borscht , yeah round bones rich with meat and marrow.  Peasant borscht, ribs or neck bones, and not many of them, and chunks of cabbage rather than shreds.

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Well, if you're making Rich People's Borscht , yeah round bones rich with meat and marrow.  Peasant borscht, ribs or neck bones, and not many of them, and chunks of cabbage rather than shreds.

go be poor somewhere else, Tovarisch! :)

1 minute ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

And if you’re discussing russian or Ukrainian borsch, there’s no t in it. I think the poles did that.   :ph34r:

I thought it looked odd, but spellcheck didn't like it without the T.

I have a much loved Борщ (borsch) recipe. I made it for Russian students and faculty one time and was asked to do it again for their year end party. The party was in the Foreign language department. Many folks complemented the soup but one elderly Chinese professor detected the subtleties of the flavors and said “it tastes like you made this for ten hours”. I thanked her and said yes. It was twelve but detecting the difference really stuck with me.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:54 AM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Carrott/Ginger Soup

Need:

Broth

Garlic 

OVO (olive oil)

Carrott

Ginger

Onion

Green onion

ACV (apple cider vinegar)

Parmesan

Salt

Pepper

Garlic powder

Cumin powder

Prep:

Cook chopped onion, garlic, ginger in pot untill tender.

Add broth (I used 8 cups)

Add chopped carrotts (I used 5 medium)

Cook for about 10 min for carrott to soften...just a bit, like aldantè (?) pasta.

Add ACV ( I used tablespoon for a good zing) start with just a tsp at a time.

Add salt, pepper, cumin,garlic powder to taste.

Put everything into a blender and go for it! ( I used smoothie setting)

**to make a bit creamier, add a shot or two of milk

Top off with a bit of grated parmesan and green onion.

Yummy!!!

20211202_082809.jpg

Oh wow...I should write an ode to your soup. Here, the green onions, sprinkled on the soup, would be jalapeno peppers, instead.

Archived