SASS Wire Forum

Pre Stage Shoot Sayings

Buckshot Bear

I like to take known lines or phrases and then "Tweak" them to both evoke the movie, show, song or event and at the same time reinforce the stage sequence in the shooters mind.

Badger sweep?

"We don't need no stinkin' Badgers"

Painted Lady sweep?

"Paint it red; all of it"

A Two target dump?

"I got two guns - one for each of you"

Twister sweep?

"Lets twist again - like we did last summer"

One of the biggest & in some eyes the best shoot in Australia is held by the Gold Coast Gamblers in July..unfortunately not for the last 2 years because of the China bug..it's called the Heartland & a lot of the shoots themes are based on 'cards as it's the Gamblers.

A few years back  it was 'kings & Queens' & those were the words for all the 12 stages..I thought it was a great idea..always good to have a line to get you in the groove  & in this case instead of forgetting etc they were easy to remember.

The stages I've written for the last several years have a quick story about what caused the gunfight and the starting line comes from the story.  For example:

At the trial, the judge asked, "Mr. Smith, exactly how did the gunfight with your neighbor start?"  Mr. Smith replied, "Apparently, when your neighbors show you their new baby, it's offensive to say, 'Better luck next time'.  That's what started the gunfight."

Indicate ready by saying, "Better luck next time."  At the beep...

You the one that shot our friend ?

Say when 

Dying ain’t much of a livin boy

You gonna skin that smoke wagon or just stand there and bleed ?

3 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

There are websites listing Old West insults, for example this one.  These are funnier than anything I think up.

There's some good ones there!

I usually pick a theme, such as lines from a particular movie, or John Wayne lines, or Clint Eastwood lines, etc.  However, sometimes I just make 'em up.

Like one of my favorites is to have the shooter start holding a tin plate and say, "Possum!  I love Possum!"

Possum

23 minutes ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

There's some good ones there!

I usually pick a theme, such as lines from a particular movie, or John Wayne lines, or Clint Eastwood lines, etc.  However, sometimes I just make 'em up.

Like one of my favorites is to have the shooter start holding a tin plate and say, "Possum!  I love Possum!"

Possum

And the corresponding one is when I drop in a Creeker Sweep and the starting line "Oh, how much do I hate Creeker?"

16 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

I stick with Woody:

"Reach for the Sky"

"They've poisoned the Waterhole"

"This town ain't big enough for the two of us."

Theres a snake in my boot.

I used this one a few years back at Dam Site and you had to dump rubber snakes out of a boot at every position.

It’s Hotter than a jug full of red ants. 

TO "Shooter ready?"

Shooter "What?"

TO moves timer closer -

TO "Shooter Ready?"

Shooter "What!?"

TO, "I'll touch your shoulder when the beep goes off."

Shooter "Just move the timer closer to my left ear."

TO "Shooter Ready?"

Shooter "What?"

Did anyone see the size of those chickens?

I'm you're huckleberry

Say when

Fill your hands you SOB

We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride

You gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?

personally I LOVE LINES from cowboy movies you say before shooting a stage. Myself I came up with a shoot based on lines from Josey Wales and there were ALOT OF OTHERS! (Tombstone, Wyatt Earp etc...) It really adds something to what we all enjoy :D.

When I have a brain fade, I use the classic line from Blazing Saddles " Where's all the White Women At"

7 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

When I have a brain fade, I use the classic line from Blazing Saddles " Where's all the White Women At"

My oldest son in high school in 2000 had a computer class they had to pull a quote from a movie and play it. That’s the one he chose. He’d likely get expelled for doing that now! 

When asked to make up a line I said "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Now prepare to die"

Archived