SASS Wire Forum

Army Helo Pilots…

It looked impressive and wasn't putting anyone in real danger. If they had flown at the heights jets normally fly at during fly overs, it would have been underwhelming. Much of what makes the jet flyovers impressive is the speed and the sound. It only takes one person complaining to ruin the fun for everyone.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Sorry Charlie (Tuna??)

No Bueno.  Article page comes up blank.

Not sure what happened to your link. Search “Titans flyover investigation” for the video. 

Four Army choppers turned a pre-game flyover into a fly-through at an NFL game. They were below the stadium lights.  

FAA’s knickers are in a wad. Four aircrews are the toast of Fort Campbell. A general or two are smiling for the stunt they just pulled. The FAA can set rules but punishing military crews under them is extremely rare. 

I’ll wager the next round of drinks that a 2-star or above signed off on the mission exactly as it was executed. 

1 helo doing that might be the crew was hot dogging.  4 crews doing that it was thoroughly briefed and someone in authority signed off on it. 

Like the article said, those guys fly like that all the time. Saw absolutely nothing unsafe about it.

It’s only dangerous for the folks on the field and the cheap end zone seats.

:lol:

There’s a local news “reporter” name of Phil Williams in Nashville.  He constantly stinks his nose into other peoples’ business.  He has fouled up a lot of what works in the state and gotten people (mostly those who want to destroy our country and way of life) up in arms about things that are of little or no concern.

Williams has made a lot of noise about this flyover and sparked much of the concern and the negative comment.  This ain’t the first time he has made problems for us!

For many years, Tennessee had the best road and highway conditions in the nation. Pavement and shoulders and such were repeatedly voted the best by those who used them.

Ol’ Phil started a stink about how bids were taken and how smaller and “minority” paving outfits didn’t get contracts.  Those contracts were awarded to companies that were large, established companies with the equipment and expertise to build and maintain our streets, roads, and highways!

When this idiot was through, small, ill equipped companies that didn’t have the experience to produce quality roadwork were awarded contracts. As a result, we now have sloppy, low quality paving that doesn’t last and is constantly in need of major repair!!  As an example, the stretch of I24 that’s nearest to my home was repaved, (for the fourth time in ten years) last fall. By May of this year, there were major failures in this highway. Potholes that damage cars and trucks and endanger the public, and require repeated patching are the order of the day.  

Sections of highway paved by the big companies that were responsible for most of the work before Phil and the news people got involved still hold up well and seldom need further maintenance, but nothing is EVER said about the disparity in quality between those “small and minority” companies and the bigger, well equipped, and more experienced companies that once gave us the finest highways in the land.

Don’t take much to really screw up a good thing!!

Perfect example of Man-Child over reactions. The writer of this story appears to be a real pansy. Read his wittle bio…How can he be taken seriously when discussing Storm Trooper accuracy. :blink:

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It’s only dangerous for the folks on the field and the cheap end zone seats.

:lol:

In spite of what folks think, helicopters don’t come straight down in an engine failure. 

At that altitude and airspeed, a full engine failure upon entering the stadium would have still allowed any of the four aircraft to autorotate out of the stadium into the parking lot. 

3 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

In spite of what folks think, helicopters don’t come straight down in an engine failure. 

At that altitude and airspeed, a full engine failure upon entering the stadium would have still allowed any of the four aircraft to autorotate out of the stadium into the parking lot. 

Depends on the type of failure. I was only being sarcastic anyway. :D
I was on a Huey that had to autorotate. The pilot did a pretty good job considering.

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I was on a Huey that had to autorotate. The pilot did a pretty good job considering.

I got the sarcasm, UB. My comments were for those who might have thought you were serious.

Everyone in that stadium, including the aircrews, had already completed the most dangerous part of the day. They safely drove to the airfield or stadium. 

32 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Glad he did. :)

I would never disparage Army helo pilots. They are the bravest men I've ever seen. I have some friends who were extremely happy to see Army helos overhead, low and slow. 

We had a crew who had ejected into Laos. The Jolly Greens (air farce) wouldn't go get them but 2 Army WOs did. We were scheduled for a USO show that night. When the WOs landed at ChuLai, the Group Commander "arrested" them. He called their commander to tell him they would be the guests of honor at the show and that he would let them return when they were sober enough to fly. Needless to say, much hooting and hollering occurred that night.

PF

I seem to remember some ANG helo pilots that flew into harms way not all that long ago and rescued several people from a wildfire.  I also remember they were told by the civilians on scene to stand down because it was too dangerous. There are some folks that are likely alive today because they didn't.

Have a lot of respect for those that go in harms way in service to their fellow man. No matter what uniform they wear. 

1/9th Cav pilots had a great club in Phouc Binh. They would also trade whiskey for Tokarev pistols. Nice fellas. Most of em about 19 yrs old.

Archived