SASS Wire Forum

Got the weirdest text just now. US Census asking about CoVid

Pat Riot

I just received this text, but didn’t click the link. I am not sure if this is a scam or for real. Anyone else get a text like this?

Screenshot:

10C04AF4-2B04-4510-83E1-015FBCC8348C.thumb.png.c0d64dce337844f0689b45a77cb1c584.png

How to verify an email or text message is from the Census Bureau

Some surveys such as the Household Pulse Survey may contact you via text message. The Household Pulse Survey uses the number 39242 (message and data rates may apply*) to send a link to complete the survey online.

To verify that someone who has texted you is a Census Bureau field representative, you can enter their name in the Census Bureau Staff Search, a database that lists name and contact information for all Census Bureau employees. You can also contact your local Regional Office. We do not publish the cell phone numbers of our field representatives on our staff search website.

Emails from the Census Bureau are sent from the official @census.gov domain.

Any links included in a Census Bureau email will direct you to an official federal government website ending in .gov.

Emails from the Census Bureau will have instructions or information to complete a survey online, by phone with a Census Bureau representative, or by paper. The Census Bureau will not ask you to provide your personal information via email.

The Census Bureau will never ask for your full Social Security number, bank account number, or passwords.

*Respondents may Reply “Stop” to opt out of receiving text messages.

Source: https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/surveyhelp/verify-a-survey.html#email2

Thanks @Bingo Montana

I went ahead and clicked the link. It took me to this site. 
https://covid.census.gov/jfe/form/SV_2hOPozqf1D7p2LA?Q_DL=SMSD_SZ1YimcBAEruxDP_2hOPozqf1D7p2LA_CGC_qNzg3DFHH6RB0tf&Q_CHL=smsinvite

I may or may not answer their 20 minute survey. I do now recall giving the Census Bureau my phone number. Perhaps that is why I was contacted. 

Not from government? Scam.

From government.  Scam

The site says the survey is 20 minutes. I almost wonder if it’s the same set of questions asked numerous ways do they get the answers they want versus allowing one to be honest. That seems to be a trend these days. 

I did a survey with Von’s, Albertsons, Safeway stores regarding Starbucks. They literally asked me about 60 questions in roundabout ways to get me to say I liked Starbucks and their offerings inside their grocery stores. No matter how I tried to answer negatively about Starbucks the next questions steered me towards picking things I liked about them with no negative options. I finally quit the survey then received numerous requests to continue until I made their emails “Spam”. 

The Census is conducted every 10 years. The next census is in 2030. They need nothing from me until then. Screw ‘em!

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I don't know if it is legit or not...but not answering anything.;)

Ditto!!

I would delete it, if I were you.

If they are legit, they will send one of their gofer's around to ask questions in person, if they need any additional information. 

But really, they got all the info they were entitled to, when they sent the survey around in 2020.

I do not trust the government, on any level, and even less so, if they inquire via e-mail. 

You have the right to remain silent, and the right to delete any e-mails whose origin is in question. 

Do not mess with this, just delete it, and move on down the trail.

1 hour ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I would delete it, if I were you.

If they are legit, they will send one of their gofer's around to ask questions in person, if they need any additional information. 

But really, they got all the info they were entitled to, when they sent the survey around in 2020.

I do not trust the government, on any level, and even less so, if they inquire via e-mail. 

You have the right to remain silent, and the right to delete any e-mails whose origin is in question. 

Do not mess with this, just delete it, and move on down the trail.

I did delete it and I sent them a “STOP” response. Actually, I do hope they send someone so I can tell them to screw off. 

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I did delete it and I sent them a “STOP” response. Actually, I do hope they send someone so I can tell them to screw off. 

I never reply to those stop etc requests. If it comes by text, I block the number. If it comes by email, I mark it as spam. I’m thinking any kind of reply let’s them know they have a legitimate contact for you.  If the survey is legit, they’ll contact you by mail. 

9 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I never reply to those stop etc requests. If it comes by text, I block the number. If it comes by email, I mark it as spam. I’m thinking any kind of reply let’s them know they have a legitimate contact for you.  If the survey is legit, they’ll contact you by mail. 

Too late, but good idea for the future. 

1 hour ago, Patagonia Pete said:

"House Pulse Survey (COVID19)" says you will get the text message from 39242 ...

https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/household-pulse-survey.html

On 12/1/2021 at 3:29 PM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

All the Census Bureau needs to know is that there are 2 adults living in my house.

I'll say it again: All the Census Bureau needs to know is that there are 2 adults living in my house.

Archived