SASS Wire Forum

SAA value now and then

GhostRider, #73 SASSLIFE

From another very good forum, I bring this same question to this forum. The following is an exact copy that post; word-for-word.

People advise " Well, just ask some one ". So, here I am seeking advice on approximate/current value of a Colt lettered 1959 Colt SAA.

Description as follows: 4 3/4"X .45 factory nickeled NIB. If I could provide pictures, I would. I've owned this item for 39 years and it is unfired.

No holster wear or any blemishes. Not case colored; case hardened. Original black box. It looks just like it did in 1959* when those sold for

$125.00.  It just kills me to sell items; however, no choice. Like Clint Eastwood said "don't let the old man in". Clint, I tried but the old man got in.

Thank you for looking and any advice you offer.

NRA life member1971, CCA life member #(I think)313,  GhostRider, #73SASSLIFE          (In Arizona since 1968)

*(out of HS finally)

I add this....                   ***Thanks again and I hope for all us: a safer future and Happy Holidays*****

Do a completed auction search on Gunbroker to see what a second generation is going or these days. The prices keep going up every week. Your guns are in the most desirable barrel length and in the most popular caliber. Second generation Colts are rapidly increasing in value. Being as they are NIB adds a premium. I would say $3000-$4000 each in the right market right now.

image.png.9c151c30caf97dfb5702993a06f3652d.pngimage.png.61f2b898fbbd0901e2b2d71e99a35347.png

THANK YOU, Cholla..... At the 2012 CCA in Denver, I asked about this same issue. The replies I got from those dealers were

consistent; "check around before you go to sell the early 2nds". That was then and this is now 10 years later. So, I'm checking around. Your idea re: Gunbroker is a GOOD one. One reply I got* from the other forum is as follows"I do the online work for a lot of

guns on Gunbroker at auction for the local gunshop. Right now prices are so wild there is no price for a gun. The sky is the limit. I seen two sell in

the last few months for 3000 over any realistic estimate. These both should have sold at less then 1000. Stuff is crazy out there. We start all our

auctins at 1 penny with no reserve. With no one taking vacations all that money has piled up and is being spent on stuff to make people

temporarily happy."   

Mikebiker

********************     I hope this sharing of info isn't out of line here  ********

Season's Greetings to all and keep your powder dry.  gr

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

factory nickeled 
case hardened.

Which is it?

image.png.b05a357b687bf4167a6b2cc4998c8afe.png

HK, are not not a member of the Colt forum? Lots of great info being passed around there. Many SASS members are on it. I assume you would like the board.

https://www.coltforum.com/

Per the Colt letter , factory nickeled. Back in early years (when Colt resumed prod.mid-fifties ) of SAAs,

Colt SAA frames were all case-hardened; some were nickeled, some were not. In 1995, my good friend and

I flew to Logan A/P. rented a car and drove to the Colt factory. We met w/Mr. Marty  Huber, Kathy Hoyt, et al,

spending one full day in their company. We learned MUCH; for example, #1) after WWII, many of Colt's former

employees returned to Colt and resumed with their models. Mr. Huber said those employees  picked up where

they left off before war re: quality of 1st.gens. Made sense; 3rd.s followed in early 60s. #2) How did the .45 become

the cal. of choice? Again, Mr. Huber told us that MANY cal.s were being used then. The field response was primarily

from the military.  Generally understood in military circles (and accepted) was the premise that military wanted a

caliber that would drop a horse @ 100 yards. Easier to deal w/the rider on foot. That made sense, too. One more; 

(#3 Mr. Huber accompanied to the production records of Colt. 3 ring binders, onion-skin paper......unforgetteble. What a trip.   

My only trip east of Amarillo.......When a request for a Colt letter is rec'd. a seasoned employee found the binder, got the info.,

gave that to a typist. It was proofed and Mr. Huber signed it.

Next day we drove back to Boston, went to Cheers , had a few then flew back to Phx.

I apologize for a long winded reply; that experience gets more memorable as time goes on. Best to all

gr

Archived