SASS Wire Forum

What a redneck stunt.

Finagler 6853 Life

A little preface here.  I have 176 acres of land in rural Wisconsin.  We live here.  Down in my woods, with the help of a couple SILs, there are a number of deer stands.  There are many deer here.  We enjoy the meat and just having them around.  I hunt with one SIL as he is in a wheel chair.  I put him in the cabin we had built in the woods. He sits on the deck and goes inside as he needs to, to warm up.  This past deer hunt, my dearest is having her shoulder seize up.  I mean she is in some serious pain.  Can't sleep, can't hardly eat, can't move right, I have to help her get dressed.  It is really bad.  We made it through Thanksgiving day but Friday, my SIL wants to get the big one.  So I haul his butt out to the cabin and decide that I might as well shoot something since it is the second weekend.  I sit and read opening weekend and give him first shot at bagging the big one.  Well he didn't get one so I planned on taking a doe to thin the herd and get some meat.  Mom is at the house, miserable, with my task of calling the doctor's office and getting her an appointment so maybe she can get in to get some meds to help her pain and discomfort.  It is pretty inevitable that she will need surgery as she went through this 5 years ago.  She is having calcification in her shoulder so the nerves are getting pinched and limiting the range of motion.

So there I am in a blind, waiting for the docs office to open up so I can call, make an appointment.  It is dark, it is cold, the coffee is good, the heater fogs up the windows so I shut it off and sit in the cold.  After an hour and a half, I call the docs office.  I get the scheduling desk and talk with a very pleasant lady named Melody.  As I am trying to set an appointment for my dearly beloved, I see a number of deer coming up the trail, right at me.  They had no idea I was in the blind.  I could have thrown a rock and taken one. Melody is trying to rattle off some of her office scheduling chatter to me and I interrupt her, "I'm in a deer blind and the deer are coming in.  I'll have to call you back."  I put down my phone and took a couple of shots at a large buck.  I need more range time.  I swear the barrel is bent. After creating much noise and confusion the deer disperse.   So I called back, talked to Melody and I could hear a muted laugh when she took the call.  That had to be the most redneck thing I have ever done, and I have had a few moments. I'm sure that story will be told far and wide at the hospital.

I had a similar happening in a duck blind, while talking to a buddy back in the office.

His words, after the shooting ended, were not repeatable in polite company.

It was his blind I was using!!

I called in sick to work once from my bass boat. I left a message. Our Secretary called me back. As I was relaying my faux illness to our Secretary a bass gabbed the floating Rapala minnow I had cast out just as she called. The lure was just floating there when “BLAM!” All hell broke loose. 
I set the hook and my rod bent something fierce and my buddy Chad is yelling “You got him! You got him, Man!”

I heard her say something and then I mumbled something about calling her back later and dropped the phone….I didn’t hang up…

The next Monday when I got into work I got a lot of sideways smiles from folks. My boss asked me if I was okay and now felt all right. I told him I was great. Then he asked “How much did that bass weigh?”:D

Apparently the Secretary stayed on the line listening and then told everyone on the third floor where I worked about it and me playing hooky. 

That was a good sick day. 
That bass weighed a tad over 6 pounds. I let him go. 

Danged Otto….

Kinda the same... Back in Indiana I worked from home at times with my computer monitor in front of the window looking towards my stand. One day during deer season I saw a nice doe sneaking through the wood so I headed for the sliding glass door where my .308 was stationed, slide the door open, shot, and went back to my computer for a few minutes. After 30 minutes I went out and followed the blood trail where she had expired right in front of my stand and drug her back to the garage.

A few years earlier I was telling my wife she should sit out in the yard and watch for deer coming into eat hickory nuts. She decided to argue that was pointless. I went to the picture window to show her where I had been seeing deer and there was a herd already in place. I grabbed the muzzleloader, stepped out on the front porch and shot a big doe.

How redneck is that?

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I called in sick to work once from my bass boat. I left a message. Our Secretary called me back. As I was relaying my faux illness to our Secretary a bass gabbed the floating Rapala minnow I had cast out just as she called. The lure was just floating there when “BLAM!” All hell broke loose. 
I set the hook and my rod bent something fierce and my buddy Chad is yelling “You got him! You got him, Man!”

I heard her say something and then I mumbled something about calling her back later and dropped the phone….I didn’t hang up…

The next Monday when I got into work I got a lot of sideways smiles from folks. My boss asked me if I was okay and now felt all right. I told him I was great. Then he asked “How much did that bass weigh?”:D

Apparently the Secretary stayed on the line listening and then told everyone on the third floor where I worked about it and me playing hooky. 

That was a good sick day. 
That bass weighed a tad over 6 pounds. I let him go. 

Danged Otto….

That’s called a mental health day 

Archived