SASS Wire Forum

Holster for American revolver

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I bought a first model S&W American sixgun from Cimarron and after a reeeeealy long wait got the gun of my dreams: 8" barrel, nickel plated, checkered wood grips, .45 Colt.  I'd have rather had S&W Russian, but couldn't get one in that caliber.  Just as well.  I like the .45 and have all the stuff I need to make it run....except a really good holster.

Local guy makes excellent holsters, but he sometimes won't listen to what I'm saying and he had the gun for nearly four months and never so much as took a knife to the leather.  I took it back and am now looking for someone, preferably someone local to me, to make a holster to my specs.  I'd like to have it in time for the next End Of Trail.

I'm in Prescott Valley, Arizona (formerly known as Jackass Flats) maybe 70 miles from Ben Avery.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks.

Forty

I wish you had posted this 2 weeks ago, and I could have come over and taken measurements in person, as I was visiting my family in Chandler/Mesa.

Did you talk to these guys? Hopefully they’re not the ones that didn’t perform. They are local to you. 

https://www.dbhleather.com/holstersinprescottvalleyaz86314.htm

It looks like there are a few leather holster shops in Phoenix. 

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Did you talk to these guys? Hopefully they’re not the ones that didn’t perform. They are local to you. 

Yeah, but who wants to go to Phoenix?

I don't know who you talked to. There is supposed to be a guy in Chino Valley. I know of another guy but I will need to dig out his name and I think he lives in PV. Have you asked the guys at the Zeke's Thursday breakfast? Or are they not doing that anymore?

Double H Leather in PV claims that they make holsters.

Cowboy Corner in Prescott (Sheldon St. by the Waffle Iron.)

Gary Risner in Chino Valley.

Jay Redfeather is in Williams. Open Road Cowboy

Stephen Vaughn lives in Pronghorn Ranch in Prescott Valley. Does excellent work.

Let me know if you want details on how to get in touch.

13 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yep, that's him.  Does marvelous work but he's a four square PITA.  I have about five of his rigs and several belts and two knife sheaths.

He just was taking too much time on this holster because almost no one has a pattern for it.

4 hours ago, Cholla said:

I don't know who you talked to. There is supposed to be a guy in Chino Valley. I know of another guy but I will need to dig out his name and I think he lives in PV. Have you asked the guys at the Zeke's Thursday breakfast? Or are they not doing that anymore?

Double H Leather in PV claims that they make holsters.

See above for Double H.

I'd like contact info for the others though.....and, yes, I still go to breakfast most Thursday mornings.  I'll ask again.

Thanks.

Some things you just got to do yourself. 

I bought a quarter heavy vegetable tanned cow hide and plan to make a pair of replica Jesse James Slim Jim holsters for my Ruger Old Armys this winter. (Jesse James was a local, you know)

Here is my #3 American first model.  The one I wanted - 44WCF with 5" barrel. 

This was the very first 60 rounds fired.  It's not given me any problems with cycling since the two times caught on video. I shot two matches with it last fall with black powder loads and no attention between stages. 

This guy is in Prescott. I have requested contact info on S. Vaughn and Risner. I will post it when I get it.

https://www.simplyrugged.com/about.cfm

Added: Gary Risner. 928 420 2510 -- Chino Valley

Stephen Vaughn  760-508-3595 -- Prescott Valley

22 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I'd rather carry my gun in a paper bag than go to Phoenix to get a holster.  That place is rapidly becoming Los Angeles East

On 12/1/2021 at 12:32 AM, MAYOBARD SASS #13025L said:

I made this one.  Message me your phone number.  I have an American pattern already.

F832CDB7-52C4-4BF4-9DC3-5EC772401E4B.jpeg

571F4662-24EC-48F4-92B2-34C94034CA73.jpeg

Isn't that just elegant?  Weighs as much as a John Deere skip loader but it shoots well and looks fabulous.

Min came from the factory with nickel plating and computer checkered walnut (?) grips.  I don't know the difference but they look a lot better than laser carved grips.

Now I just need a plain black, maybe with some light border tooling, black "Slim Jim" holster.

On 12/1/2021 at 8:26 AM, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Just curious. Is the Uberti American frame any different than the Uberti Schofield? I would think most makers would have a Schofield pattern.

American has a 5 1/2 or 8 inch barrel and a longer under rib.  The rear of the frame has a different barrel locking mechanism, but that likely won't be an issue because of its location.

I'm not suer why the Schofield is so much more favored over the Americans and early Russians.  There were almost 30,000 first and second model Americans and another 5,100 first model Russians (same gun in a different caliber).  The Schofield  first and second model only accounted for about 9,000 guns total and they highly touted Scofield barrel lock is clumsy and difficult (to me) to operate.

Russian contract guns (and some to the Japanese Navy, Turks, Egyptian and others) vastly outnumbered the civilian guns, but there were still many more American and Russian guns than Schofields.

Archived