SASS Wire Forum

Never toss an opened cheap tube of Super Glue in your toolbox

Pat Riot

Yesterday I needed my favorite little screwdriver to help me line up the trigger assembly in my Ruger 10/22.

I opened the drawer, saw it next to tube of super glue, grabbed it and it was stuck to the liner mat… Ras-n-frassen gol-derned smash a blaster cuss alot mumbley rankings…

1A5AE7CE-5DAD-40E8-9467-55A8709B7B8B.thumb.jpeg.26f4c9f41d29987110a46d9476026bbb.jpeg

29B866BD-D99B-477C-9E83-139EA453A49D.thumb.jpeg.c02099d6a566245fa87cad966461ef5d.jpeg

07FADDFF-B469-4A82-A7B0-76B881387DC2.thumb.jpeg.89be1bc2ba166066c3d1415ee894b5d3.jpeg

Now I have a permanent foam rubber thingie stuck to my favorite little screwdriver. 
And I should’ve known better, I did something similar a few years ago. 
99 cent store super glue and good tools should never be in the same drawer. :angry::blink::lol:

4 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Superglue melts around 147°F

I wonder what the melting point is on my screwdriver handle?

We had green loctite at work, it was for assembled bolts. High strength, you would assemble the tool adjust to suit and put a drop of this loctite on the bolts, it would "wick" through the assembled bolt and lock them up solid. Great stuff, but why a coworker would but a bottle in his tool box is beyond me. Bottle leaked and it wicked into one of his micrometers and locked it up solid.

Super glue can be removed from glass, countertops, tile, and other hard surfaces with rubbing alcohol. Pour enough alcohol to cover the glue spot and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. It will loosen the glue's grip on the surface and allow you to scrape it off.

My favorite is WD-40. . . it will not hurt the tool handle.

It's even safe to use on wood surfaces. WD-40 can also loosen the hold of strong adhesives such as super glue.

I hate super glue! If I do use it I throw it away after one use. I use it occasionally to glue ivory keytops back on old pianos. I prefer epoxy myself, the old kind that you mix or DUCO cement usually works for lots of things! 

21 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I keep opened tubes of superglue in a emptied prescription pill bottle. 

Yep.

How did I learn that superglue melts at 147°?  I took some wood turning classes with Beth Ireland. In one of those classes she demonstrated making bowls from cut pieces of various woods. Such bowls require a lot of sanding.  Too aggressive and the bowl dangerously flies apart.

9 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’m sure it’s higher than boiling water but then it’s not my screwdriver.

Duh…for some reason I read 147 C, not F. 
Why? No idea…I must have mentally reverted back to my days in the Aerospace R&D lab. Weird. 

I am going to put some water on and try it out. Thank you. 

What’s funny is I always toss the cheap super glue tubes after on use. I am not sure why I put that one in the drawer. 

This is the only super glue I can actually reuse numerous times and it doesn’t harden up in the tip. It stays upright to. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0a1b49e2c9f9feb8f8ecf45eb39bc6dc.jpeg

Good stuff. 

I only buy the cheap 3 pack tubes from Harbor Freight for just over a buck for quick jobs. And gluing small screwdrivers to the mat and the tube, apparently. 

Howdy,

Some nail polish remover is 100% acetone.

Good for dissolving superglue.

Be careful as the superglue can reharden.

When I use superglue I first find the remover and make sure

there is plenty in the bottle. 

Best

CR

Archived