SASS Wire Forum

Question for an Ozzie

DeaconKC

Okay, @Alpo may be rubbing off on me, but I just thought of a weird question. Since kangaroos seem to be a pest in Australia, are you allowed to shoot them like we can feral hogs here in most states? And if so, are they edible? [young hogs are]

16 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Okay, @Alpo may be rubbing off on me, but I just thought of a weird question. Since kangaroos seem to be a pest in Australia, are you allowed to shoot them like we can feral hogs here in most states? And if so, are they edible? [young hogs are]

Shot in there hundreds of thousands Deacon, you can buy kangaroo meat in most any supermarket. The majority of all dog food here is kangaroo.

There are professional shooters who that's all they do, shoot roo's.

There's also volunteers that will assist farmers and graziers to reduce their roo populations. I've shot thousands, but in the last 10 years lost all interesting killing things. There's more kangaroos in Australia now because of irrigation and feed than there was before Captain Cook discovered Australia, they don't succumb to natural droughts in their millions like they would have with out all the water and feed that they can now get so they produce greatly.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting/volunteer-non-commercial-kangaroo-shooting

We have a lot on our front lawn every evening. These are Eastern Grey's they don't get as big at the Red Kangaroos, but they still get pretty big and muscly, I wouldn't want to mess with a big one and they can kill and gut a dog in the blink of an eye if they get cornered. 

Front of our property.

654275311_41009966314_23a2dc660b_hcopy.thumb.jpg.a4bf676fc47dab1193cd7563025e6bda.jpg

2006707468_41510756862_4fbc74c098_bcopy.thumb.jpg.cb018d18badc55db370fb9b8ea99811c.jpg

1005682171_41510757282_a1abacef13_ccopy.jpg.bd1ee5ae17878ae4d6715d7eddab133a.jpg

1858995532_43539839452_dffe9b8157_hcopy.thumb.jpg.2381ab684e5d3d63cf050eadba61ccf6.jpg

1075372778_47846507101_14892d5e07_hcopy.thumb.jpg.301493a13ec4bcb7f240de1f0aeefa7f.jpg

And you learn something new everyday! Thanks!

Strong flavour but pretty good, Roo shooters can make some decent  money, my son presently gets around 90c a kilo for the meat & around $3 for venison..he also has contracts for wild dog trapping & shooting ...some Roos can get mighty  big & aggressive..just a warning for the Ladies,don't go messin' with a buck Kangaroo if it's that time of the month !!

Info..1 kg = 2.2 Lb

Roos have a minimum weight to be eligible to be tagged & sold at the 'meat box [ can't remember what it is ]

On average a shooter would get around 25-40 per night at roughly 20kg each  or more. They might shoot 3-4 nights per week.

They have to be licensed & pay for tags, the vehicle they use has to be accredited.

It's always a joke that Australia shoots its National emblem..there's millions of them..even seen one the other day trotting down the beach with a surfboard under its arm :P

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I've shot thousands, but in the last 10 years lost all interesting killing things.

So, is that another way of saying “I am so good at hunting that when I quit the population skyrocketed!” :lol:

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So, is that another way of saying “I am so good at hunting that when I quit the population skyrocketed!” :lol:

LOL nope......just lost interest in hunting. Doesn't stop me being a meat eating carnivore though. 

8 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

LOL nope......just lost interest in hunting. Doesn't stop me being a meat eating carnivore though. 

I understand. The last time I went deer hunting in Oregon I saw a small herd of Blacktail Deer just milling about in the woods. I watched them for a long time and they eventually went over a ridge. I didn’t even bother aiming my rifle, but what surprised me was I even forgot to at least take a photo. 

I just was not in the mood. 

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I understand. The last time I went deer hunting in Oregon I saw a small herd of Blacktail Deer just milling about in the woods. I watched them for a long time and they eventually went over a ridge. I didn’t even bother aiming my rifle, but what surprised me was I even forgot to at least take a photo. 

I just was not in the mood. 

I can relate, Pat.

'Bout 1984 Hank and I were in Siskiyou County - we'd planned on a 10-day hunting trip, guest of a local rancher.  When we arrived, we found out that the rancher's dad and brother had taken off on some venture, and left him with a few thousand acres of cut alfalfa on the ground.

We turned to and saddled up, raking and baling (he had three balers!) when the temperature and moisture was correct - often up and at it over 20 hours in a day.  Sometimes we'd fire up the balers well after midnight.  But we did get in a little hunting - Hank got a decent buck.  Late one afternoon I had a nice three-pointer in my scope.  I was tired, the whole scene was just peaceful and perfect... I simply said "BANG!" and ejected the unfired round and emptied the magazine.  

That was a good trip.

Archived