SASS Wire Forum

Looking for thin head or set screws to replace the stock lug screws on Uberti 1860 Armies( Updated)

Willy B.SASS#26902

Howdy All

Dixie had these a few years ago but doesn't have them anymore, The lug screws on the right side drive me to distraction so I'm looking for replacements that either have a thinner head or a set screw without a head, If you know where to get them or know the thread size I'd appreciate you letting me know.

Thanks Much

Willy B'

I received my set of 12-32 set screws and as Senor Pettifogger said they wouldn't fit, I checked the hole size and found it to be very close to 3/16 required for a 10-32 tap so I ran a 10-32 tap threw and my screws fit, The right side was a cinch but the left screw had to be very thin, I used a 1/2 " dowel with a 3/16 hole drilled in to the end to hold the set screw while I ground it down to size, since I won't be removing the screw I set them in place with a little Tac glue,  I think they came out looking pretty good.

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

I don't' know of any currently available replacements.  I sent my screws to Goon's Gun Works and Mike thinned down the heads and cut a slot on the inside.

DSC05180-small.jpg

Take the screw out and go to hardware store and use their thread tester.  If they don't have the screws try McMaster-Carr.  The screws should be metric.  I don't shoot 60's or I would check for you.

I don't know of anyone currently offering those screws modified with a thin head.  Most of my SNUBBIES are also "Army" frames with the stock screws.  Drove me knutz also.  I put mine in a padded vice jaw and filed them down, then recut the screw slot.  they are also a real nuisance to put back in the frame when removed by accident.  I put mine back in with RED LocTite.

I have searched for years trying to find replacement screws.  Never could.  I thinned some and cut new slots but I like the ones Abilene is showing is his photo.  Those are as nice as I have seen anywhere.  This is one of those things that seem simple but is a big giant PITA.

Thanks guys, I like Abilene's method it looks good, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that this drive's Knutz.

I've got a Brownell's thread checker around here somewhere so I shouldn't have any problem figuring out what size it is (Thanks for the memory jog, PeeWee)

42 minutes ago, Willy B.SASS#26902 said:

Thanks guys, I like Abilene's method it looks good, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that this drive's Knutz.

I've got a Brownell's thread checker around here somewhere so I shouldn't have any problem figuring out what size it is (Thanks for the memory jog, PeeWee)

If you find a suitable plug please let the rest of us know.  I too hate those things but so far have not had time to locate a replacement.

Howdy Willy

I looked for the metric thread size on my Cimarron Uberti 1860s and found that the screws are the same thread as the nipples. The metric threads themselves are an oddball metric size. They have a 0.9 pitch which is in between a M5x0.8 and a M6x1. The 0.9 pitch is not listed in any of my Machinist Handbooks. I think grinding or filing by hand is the only option or try grinding down a couple of spare nipples.

B.P.

I found my Brownell's thread checker and checked the screws I found the screws were a perfect fit in the 12-32 hole, I searched for 12-32 set screws on line without much luck until I looked on e-bay where I found some that weren't cheap but I think will work.  When I receive them and confirm that they work I'll let everybody know.

Thanks for all the response's

Willy B'

P.S. I tried a .22 case and found it to be too big, But it was a good idea.

I just took mine out and left the open hole.  I thought it would lead to a problem but it has not been a problem.  That was several years ago.  But, up here in VT we don't have the dust that some of you in more arid places may have.

Like I said if it was easy plenty of people would have found them by now.  12-32 is not a common size and are hard to find.  The Brownell's thread checker is also just a thin plate.  Many metric screws will screw into the thread checker but when you get the English size it won't fit in a deeper hole or will be .002 or .003 larger and won't fit.  Good luck.  If you find a sources of plug screws let us know.  I have actually run a 12-28 tap into the frame hole as a 12-28 screws was a tad to large OD to fit.  Looked terrbile when done.  I still like the screw mod in Abilene's post.

1 minute ago, Doc McCoy, SASS #8381 said:

I just took mine out and left the open hole.  I thought it would lead to a problem but it has not been a problem.  That was several years ago.  But, up here in VT we don't have the dust that some of you in more arid places may have.

I call it an oil hole.;)

Just went out in the garage and measured some screws to save you some time and money.  Uberti screws are .212", Pietta screws are .234".  A 12-32 screw is .218.  So a Uberti screw might screw into a 12-32 hole (The Uberti screw is either metric or a no longer used English thread) but a 12-32 screw will not screw into a Uberti hole.

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Just went out in the garage and measured some screws to save you some time and money.  Uberti screws are .212", Pietta screws are .234".  A 12-32 screw is .218.  So a Uberti screw might screw into a 12-32 hole (The Uberti screw is either metric or a no longer used English thread) but a 12-32 screw will not screw into a Uberti hole.

2.12 is about right for the obscure 5.5 X 0.9 mm screw.

• Willy B.SASS#26902 changed the title to Looking for thin head or set screws to replace the stock lug screws on Uberti 1860 Armies( Updated)

They look pretty good, Willie B.

Have you tried looking on https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=15&cat=Uberti+1860+Army?

Uberti used the softest steel for all screws on all guns.  I bought a beautiful 1866 Yellow Boy rifle on which virtually every screw head was buggered by the previous owner, the barrel band screw so badly that it had to be drilled out.  I replaced every single screw on the rifle with the complete set of hardened screws sold by VTI, and could not be happier.

Nostrum Damus

The problem was how to eliminate the stock lug screws used for mounting a shoulder stock on Colt 1860 Army revolvers, As far as I know no one including VTI has these so you're pretty much on your own in how you get rid of them.

Willy B'

51 minutes ago, Willy B.SASS#26902 said:

Nostrum Damus

The problem was how to eliminate the stock lug screws used for mounting a shoulder stock on Colt 1860 Army revolvers, As far as I know no one including VTI has these so you're pretty much on your own in how you get rid of them.

Willy B'

Now I understand the problem, sorry for my misunderstanding.

Archived