SASS Wire Forum

This Day in History

Not our finest hour -- Colonel John M. Chivington led a controversial surprise attack, known as the Sand Creek Massacre, on a surrendered, partially disarmed Cheyenne Indian camp in southeastern Colorado Territory; more than 230 Native Americans were killed.

And horrors! Coffee rationing begins. On November 29, 1942, coffee joins the list of items rationed in the United States.

I've been to the Sand Creek site. Lots to see and, well, feel there. I'd recommend a visit there for anyone traveling through the area.

Definitely a dark hour in US history.

Also.

November 29, 1872 
The Modoc War began with the Battle of Lost River, a skirmish along the California-Oregon border when an U.S. Army 1st Cavalry Regiment tried to force Modoc Indians to return to the Klamath Reservation. In the end, Captain Jack of the Modoc and 53 warriors held off over 1,000 U.S. soldiers for 7 months before he and three other warriors were hung and his people sent into exile. The history reads like a Shakespearian tragedy. Visit ThisWeekinCaliforniaHistory.com #California #IndianWars

FB_IMG_1638207601136.jpg

4 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Is that what the mini series "centennial " was portraying with Richard crenna?

Yes but they changed the name, he wasn't Chivington he was some other name.

Don't forget 46 years ago today a young innocent girl (Cayenne Kay) said "I do" and she stuck with me all these years. Looking forward to a few more.

3 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Don't forget 46 years ago today a young innocent girl (Cayenne Kay) said "I do" and she stuck with me all these years. Looking forward to a few more.

Congrats and Happy Anniversary!

12 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Also.

November 29, 1872 
The Modoc War began with the Battle of Lost River, a skirmish along the California-Oregon border when an U.S. Army 1st Cavalry Regiment tried to force Modoc Indians to return to the Klamath Reservation. In the end, Captain Jack of the Modoc and 53 warriors held off over 1,000 U.S. soldiers for 7 months before he and three other warriors were hung and his people sent into exile. The history reads like a Shakespearian tragedy. Visit ThisWeekinCaliforniaHistory.com #California #IndianWars

FB_IMG_1638207601136.jpg

That was also the only Indian war where a U. S. General was killed, Brig. Gen. Edward R. S. Canby.

12 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Congratulations.

12 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Congratulations !

13 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Congratulations to you both!

18 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Congratulations old friend! Same to Saint Kay! Lol. 
Laramie

20 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

We made it to 51 years and I'd give anything for 51 more.  She's gone now but someday we'll be together again.

Congratulations.

While I can’t say I enjoy visiting sites like Sand Creek and Mountain Meadow, I do it. You have to take the good with the bad. Just wrapping yourself in the flag doesn’t make you a good American in my opinion. To truly love your country, you have to understand it. Warts and all.

21 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Wonderful! Wishing you many more. It just gets better. :wub:

Archived