SASS Wire Forum

I'm Glad I Retired

bgavin

I just got off the line after 1.5 hours with Comcast/Xfinity script monkeys.
No fewer than seven (7) of 'em... and not one could grasp the problem, let alone fix it.

I have a lodge brother that I support in his commercial property management business.
I have them all set up to access their workstations and server while on the road.
All was well until Comcast decided to replace their modem... which broke all their remote access.
The go-zouta works fine, but the go-zinta is totally broken.

I have 47 years in the IT business, and do know what I'm doing.
It is a real shame the script monkeys don't have any expertise beyond reading a canned script.

All internet modems/gateways have a unique IP address.
Think of this as a Social Security number... a unique number in all the world.

Comcast is so screwed up, I can make three different queries for this IP address, and get three different addresses... none of which are working.
Even the gov't can keep track of a single SS number...

The #7 tech support person played the "Get the customer off the phone" card by scheduling an onsite tech visit.
They will send (another) clueless guy who can barely plug things in, let alone comprehend broken port forwards.
I requested yet another modem replacement, just in case.

I asked them to put in the service notes, "tech is not leaving until forwards are working properly."

Shrug, Frontier is no better.  Took me two weeks to resolve my internet (which I also use for work) from dropping out every 5-10 minutes.

4 telephone conversations, 3 chat conversations and two visits from technicians, one of whom apparently replaced to corroded connections and a new router sent to me.

No, Comcast is the worst.  They don' t seem to be able to communicate within their own company and the record keeping is almost nonexistent. 

We had a similar "why can't they just fix it?" episode with comcast/xfinity recently. East Coast Filly still watch the local liberal news channels and some programs from the local channels. A few months ago she started noticing pixilation watching those channels. Long story short it took months of complaining often, two replacement cable boxes, and a replacement router, none of which fixed the issue, before they finally sent a tech out. 5 minutes of checking and he identified the problem, and 5 minutes after that the problem was fixed. It turned out the splitters and filters where the cable entered the house were original from when we went to comcast at least 15+ years ago. Plus, the cable from the newly replaced main trunk line to the house was degraded. 4 days later that cable was replaced as well. And none of this cost us a penny!! :):) The picture quality and internet connection speed is vastly improved. If the person in their service had half a clue, it likely would have been fixed so much sooner. 

3 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

We had a similar "why can't they just fix it?" episode with comcast/xfinity recently. East Coast Filly still watch the local liberal news channels and some programs from the local channels. A few months ago she started noticing pixilation watching those channels. Long story short it took months of complaining often, two replacement cable boxes, and a replacement router, none of which fixed the issue, before they finally sent a tech out. 5 minutes of checking and he identified the problem, and 5 minutes after that the problem was fixed. It turned out the splitters and filters where the cable entered the house were original from when we went to comcast at least 15+ years ago. Plus, the cable from the newly replaced main trunk line to the house was degraded. 4 days later that cable was replaced as well. And none of this cost us a penny!! :):) The picture quality and internet connection speed is vastly improved. If the person in their service had half a clue, it likely would have been fixed so much sooner. 

We have had similar problems with our cable/internet for quite a few years now. The trunk line that runs the street is 35 years old and has never been replaced. The provider (currently Spectum) has continuously denied that it is the problem. Over the years, we've had at least ten so called "technicians" come out, do a little testing, declare it a house wiring problem, shrug their shoulders and drive away. The last technician was actually a fairly good one. Dug and new line in to the street, changed the splitters/connectors and admitted (not in writing of course) that the trunk line was too old to keep up with today's equipment and technology. The house to street line replacement helped a lot but there are still problems during certain peak times and during periods of multiday heavy rainfall. 

Spectrum still wants their money but refuses to replace the trunk line. The rest of the available providers aren't any better and are, in fact, worse. Satellite type installations are basically useless in our area due to everyday thunderstorms/etc....unless you don't mind waiting for the storms to pass.

Before Comcast, I was AT&T for nearly 30 years.
They could never fix their chronic line problems caused by ancient copper installed when the neighborhood was built in 1960.
These problems got worse a few hours after the sun started warming their distribution cabinet across the street.

I was stuck with AT&T DSL in those days.
My team was remote in Ohio, and our customer was the state of Minnesota.
This required remote desktop connections to both Ohio and Minnesota, all of which were lost when the line burped.

AT*T (yet again) sent out a tech, but this guy came with a chip on his shoulder.
He was all torqued off over having to work Saturday (overtime).
His fatal mistake was blaming my network problems on the electrical power lines and transformer.
I don't like being lied to, especially by a snot-nose kid who has not even been alive as long as I've been doing computer networks.

I threw him  out, called up AT&T and told them they just lost a 30 year customer.
Comcast ran new fiber trunk lines to my neighborhood, then installed fresh copper drops to the houses.
My personal service has been stellar... 99.9% uptime and no glitches.
Part of my happiness is (so far) not having any problems of my own, that require I endure their tech support in Bangalore.

30 years April 2022, we’ll have lived in this house and have never had cable. 400 feet south of the house the cable company line crosses my property and for the first 15 years or so we’d get an annual letter telling us that they’d be extending their service area and we’d be getting cable but it never happened. I drive by a lot of the houses in their service area and most of them have satellite dishes.

We moved into our present home in 2008. In 2020 I finally had to cancel my telephone landline, because it was so unreliable. We had numerous calls into AT&T to fix it. They even replaced the underground wire from the pedestal, in front of my house, to the house. Still was unreliable. 

We live in the city limits, so it's not like we live out in the boondocks'.

I had four monthly bills with AT&T. One house phone, on a land-line, and two cell phones, and directv. 

Now I have one bill...directv, and I am fixing to change over to dish, since I don't care for the prices of directv...or their attitude, either, for that matter. 

Oh, and even though my home is in the city limits, I have no access to the AT&T internet. The have never bothered to run a line down our street for the internet. 

They can kiss my grits!!!

25 or so years ago when the internet was in its infancy and i was big into HAM radio we  had an internet gateway at a friends house. Had been working well for about 6 months wen it suddenly went south. Had to navigate our way up the food chain but eventually got to someone that understood what we were having issues with. Explained in detail what the problem was and after verifying we were correct he offered us jobs. Unfortunately Uncle Sam wasn't done with us so we had to decline.

Second time a buddy discovered a serious flaw in a web page.  Sent a message to the webmaster and wound up getting a side gig as the companies new web master. Made more money on this part time job than he was making as an E-6 in the Navy. He wound up getting out on a medical discharge a few years later for a bad foot. That side gig was the gateway to a very successfully career as the head of the IT department for a large company in the bay area.

I have had my Comcast account at my current residence now for 22 years .

My ( Contract ) is up again December 4th .

And Comcast & I are parting ways for the rest of my days .

I Never seen a more #u#$&d up  Company in my life that stays in business.

Cable TV is a Monopoly .

That is the only reason they have not gone out of business.

Archived