SASS Wire Forum

colt 1860 army 2nd - generation value?

Last Call Saul

I have an opportunity to purchase this revolver... looks in great condition, with box... what would be an appropriate value? one owner, bought new in 1979, barely used

thanks in advance!

123_1.jpeg

imagejpeg_0(11).jpg

imagejpeg_0(12).jpg

imagejpeg_0(13).jpg

imagejpeg_0(14).jpg

IMG_20211127_211355.jpg

IMG_20211127_211404.jpg

I typically see NIB 2nd gen Colt cap guns selling for right around $1000.  If you are looking for a shooter I personally think current production Pietta and Uberti cap guns far surpass the quality of the Colt 2nd gens.  

I am not looking to compete with it - mostly - occasional fun time at the range and will have it hanging on the wall in the office :)

the seller wants $500 for this gun - 1979 production - fired 30-50 times.

Sounds like a good deal? 

1 hour ago, Last Call Saul said:

I am not looking to compete with it - mostly - occasional fun time at the range and will have it hanging on the wall in the office :)

Sounds like a good deal? 

YES!! If you don't want it, I'll buy it:D

9 hours ago, Last Call Saul said:

Sounds like a good deal? 

For under $500, you're buying a very nice gun. As stated above the current production guns are a better choice as a shooter. Colts have a better finish and a beautiful case hardening, compared to the newer guns, but they don't always make the best shooters without work.

A NIB Cimarron (Uberti) will run right at $400.  A Second Generation Colt cap gun generally have a bit better fit and finish and I would think $500 to be reasonable.  The gun is, after all, a Gussied Up Uberti and comes with all the Uberti flaws which will need addressed to become a great shooter.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to start with with a NIB Pietta.

BUY IT!  IMO, the COLT 2nd Gen guns are better quality than the current production guns.  Parts made in Italy and then fitted and finished in the Colt factory are excellent.  I use 2 1851s as my main match revolvers.  ANY gun needs work to be competitive in this game.  Even the vaunted Roogers.

I will give him 500 for it if you don't take it .

Rooster

14 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

A NIB Cimarron (Uberti) will run right at $400.  A Second Generation Colt cap gun generally have a bit better fit and finish and I would think $500 to be reasonable.  The gun is, after all, a Gussied Up Uberti and comes with all the Uberti flaws which will need addressed to become a great shooter.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to start with with a NIB Pietta.

not looking to compete with it... also based on some info it looks like only a few parts were supplied by Uberti at some point and others at another... machining, fit, and finish, as well as mechanical parts, springs, and the frame were made in USA by Iver Johnson.

anyway, I bought it... after I bought it found some questionalbe things - box is not matching - the S/N is torn out but the model # on the box is for the fluted cylinder model...

also , the muzzle crown looks like not blued and almost refinished... not sure what to make out of it :) - there is very sharp cut off from the the crown to the barrel

anyway, it is a beautiful gun and I bought it to shoot a bit not as investement or collector item

20211129_005150.jpg

20211129_005141.jpg

Saul,

The Second Generation Colt Percussion guns were put together by Louis Imperato.  Louis Imperato bought Iver Johnson and then used Iver Johnson facilities to build the 2d Generation Colt.  Later, the Imperato's also contracted for the "Signature Series" of Colt Percussion Guns.  At no time did Colt have the capability to manufacture "new" percussion guns.  All of the original tooling was destroyed in a fire at the Colt factory and was never replaced.  Colt did do some final finishing on part of the Second Generation run of guns, but most were completed at Iver Johnson.

Colt was not pleased with the Signature Series and will not letter them.  All of the major assemblies and lock works parts were sourced from Uberti, raw "In The White" and were then finished at Iver Johnson or in New Jersey.  The Second Gen were then shipped to Colt for inspection and packaging/retailing.  Should you need any replacement parts, VTI Gunparts is your best source.  You can also source parts from Taylors & Co. or Cimarron.  The parts will be Uberti.  The gas will also suffer the Uberti signature "Short Arbor." 

Here are the tuning instruction for open tops. The Pietta instructions likely will not apply. The Uberti instructions tell you how to check and correct arbor length if it is too short.

Scroll up to find downloadable PDFs

• 2 weeks later...

oh well... 50 year old spings give out...

was shooting it today and cylinder stopped spinning... took it appart - hand spring broke off

are uberti hands and springs drop in for these or do I need to fit them in?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

20211212_200251.jpg

11 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

If the bore is in excellent shape, then that price is a good one. Buy it..and soon, or...someone else will snap it up.

bought it, shot it and broke it :)

now need to fix it - hand spring is broken :(

11 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Replace it with a Ruger spring and plunger.  Permanent fix smoother action.

I just watched a video on it... it is a bit more than I am comfortable of doing myself.

hope the uberti part I just bought will fit... I don't plan to shoot it too much 

that said, 3 of the nipples are also frozen - I can't take them out... even with PB blaster.  I might send it off to replace the spring and the nipples

Archived