SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 Rifle Bolt Tab

Ace Hanlon

Recently I have experienced the bolt tab being bent down and dragging in the frame while closing the lever . The carrier and bolt seem to be in time as the cartridge case is not touching the bolt tab while lifting the cartridge into position for the bolt to move it forward into the chamber.  Looking for areas to check which might be causing this problem.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Super Short Stroke installed. Ace

Ace, the first thing I’d do if you haven’t already is to take the bolt out, take out the extractor and clean everything really well, most times it’s the dirt that causes us the most problems. 

52 minutes ago, Ace Hanlon said:

Recently I have experienced the bolt tab being bent down and dragging in the frame while closing the lever . The carrier and bolt seem to be in time as the cartridge case is not touching the bolt tab while lifting the cartridge into position for the bolt to move it forward into the chamber.  Looking for areas to check which might be causing this problem.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Super Short Stroke installed. Ace

Make sure when you are doing the test that you point the muzzle up at a steep angle so the round slides fully to the rear.  Lots look OK when the rifle is level.

Super short stroke kits allow a VERY small timing window  before parts start colliding. 

Tab bending down is almost always caused by carrier being mis-timed or mis-stroked.  Guns can appear in  time when run slowly, but they fail to be synced at high speed. 

The tip of the tab can also  jam into the case head as the bolt closes at speed.   If tip has a sharp point on it, it needs to be rounded off some.  

A factory tab that has already bent will bend and break off pretty soon even if you straighten it.  Time for a bolt repair/tab install and for a good timing check.  See your gunsmith.  

good luck, GJ 

Is your serial number in the late W4XXX through very early W6XXX?  

If you've already bent the lower tab, consider buying a new bolt assembly from VTI, Taylor's, or Cimaron.  The bolt assembly is a better deal than just buying the bolt.

The new bolt assembly comes with a replaceable bottom bolt tab.  It's worth the money to have it installed and timed by a good cowboy gunsmith.  When I replaced mine, I had my gunsmith mill out the old lower bolt and install a replaceable lower tab.  He fitted the new bolt assembly while I waited and I left the broken bolt with him to repair later.  That repaired bolt is in my replacement parts bag that travels to big shoots with our other gear.  

Ace, how long have you been shooting the rifle in this configuration before having the problem?  If it was a good while, then something changed.  Possibly an OOB?   That can bend the lever and cause timing issues.  If the go-fast parts were installed more recently, then less likely to be OOB.

66 & 73 Uberti Bolt History

Uberti had a great bolt for many years that did not have any issues.  Several years ago, many of us thought they changed manufactures, or the type of steel used, because they started having bolt tabs break and seemed to ignore the issue for quite a while. Then, they redesigned the bottom of the bolt in sort of a mini 45 caliber design and for a couple of years made them.  Again, it started to fail, rifles in the serial number range of W4XXXX to W5XXXX and some very early W6XXX fall into this second category.  Uberti quickly realized they still had the problem and incorporated a replaceable tab made out of spring steel.  I have not seen any of the new style fail to date unless it is not shortened thereby preventing it from hitting the barrel and bending.
You can purchase a new bolt and work the tab a little shorter so it doesn't hit the barrel. 

Another solution would be to have the tab rebuilt. Lassiter, Snake Oil George, 3 Cut and others are set up do this.

Update; The lower bolt tab was touching the barrel in the lower recessed area.  I have shortened the lower bolt tab a bit and smoothed the lower barrel recess area so the tab no longer comes in contact with the barrel.  If anyone has an updated Uberti bolt which has the removable lower tab, I would like to purchase one for 38 caliber. Also I would like to thank everyone who responded to this thread.  A special thanks to Garrison Joe, Lefty Wheeler and Larsen Pettifogger!

Archived