SASS Wire Forum

Sig cross verses ruger precision

Trigger Mike

I've never even seen a Sig Cross in the wild.

If there is a downside to the Ruger Precision Rifle, IMO, it's that it doesn't use a conventional action.  If you buy the RPR and decide you don't like a chassis, or that particular chassis, you're out of luck because you can't just drop the barreled-action into another stock.  Handguards and stocks can be swapped out but there are very limited options on the handguards.

I have talked to guys that own the Ruger. They like it, but they don’t love it. Of course each one hung out with the Precision Rifle Competition crowd and all of them were convinced they need a custom rifle made to compete. 

They all said for average use they are decent accurate rifles. 

I have no clue on the Sig. 

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I mainly wanted a hunting rifle that is different than what I have.   Sig is 6.5 pounds and a shorter barrel.   

You asked which was the better choice overall of the 2 rifles.

You said nut'n about hunting as a primary use... :blink:

12 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Does anyone have experience with the sig cross in 308 and how it compares to the ruger precision 308?

OLG

58 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I was too vague originally 

Not really. I took it to mean a comparison of design, functionality, reliability and accuracy. And possibly price.

SIG quality is hard to beat in my opinion. But that’s based on mostly pistol experience.

My sig pistol experience is what is partly driving my inquiry.   I have a 220, 938, and a m17 and they can't be beat.  I've wanted a sig rifle just because of that but don't really want an AR 15.  The bolt action seemed like a good idea.  

The Ruger Precision Rifle weighs just shy of 10 pounds without a scope. When I picked one up in the store I put it back. Too heavy for my liking. I was considering it for hunting as well. 

I still haven’t gotten a bolt gun. I decided to wait until I put my hands on a Henry Long Ranger then decide. 

Holy Cow! I just looked up the Sig Sauer Cross .308. This gun looks like it could be a space station model on a Sci-Fi flick. :lol:

Pretty cool looking… 

I like these specs: https://shopsigsauerarms.com/sig-sauer-cross-308-win-bolt-action-precision-rifle/

image.thumb.jpeg.61187a2419311e451583a05835843110.jpeg

Definitely not traditional. The write ups on are very promising, but I found one thing you should know about. Might be the reason you can’t find one right now. There was a recall:

https://www.guns.com/news/2020/11/30/sig-sauer-recalls-all-cross-bolt-action-rifles

I am definitely putting this on my list of guns to check out. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah…it ain’t wood and blued steel. Don’t like it? More for those that do…:P

While doing my research I also found out that sig has a scope, range finder system. The range finder sends the info to the scope and the scope tells you where to aim the croashairs.  I figure if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a rifle, I want good optics.  Since the new tech is not currently available,  I think I will wait on the rifle. 

On 11/28/2021 at 8:45 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Holy Cow! I just looked up the Sig Sauer Cross .308. This gun looks like it could be a space station model on a Sci-Fi flick. :lol:

Pretty cool looking… 

I like these specs: https://shopsigsauerarms.com/sig-sauer-cross-308-win-bolt-action-precision-rifle/

image.thumb.jpeg.61187a2419311e451583a05835843110.jpeg

Definitely not traditional. The write ups on are very promising, but I found one thing you should know about. Might be the reason you can’t find one right now. There was a recall:

https://www.guns.com/news/2020/11/30/sig-sauer-recalls-all-cross-bolt-action-rifles

I am definitely putting this on my list of guns to check out. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah…it ain’t wood and blued steel. Don’t like it? More for those that do…:P

If the Storm Troopers would have had those, the Empire would have prevailed!

Trigger Mike,  I am familiar with the SIG optics system. Whiz-Bang cool but in my opinion not very practical especially for a mid range caliber like .308. I see MANY many rifles and scope systems at my range. I suggest you look at a Bergara rifle.

On 11/27/2021 at 9:23 AM, Trigger Mike said:

Does anyone have experience with the sig cross in 308 and how it compares to the ruger precision 308?

No experience, only my prejudice and observations: looking at the specs....6.5 vs 9.8 lbs.......in a 308, one is on the light side, and scoped pretty much just right. The other, ridiculous for a hunting gun.

The 16" barrel will hurt your velocity, and in theory, not allow for complete powder burn. But there are other powders and inside 250-300 yards, won't make a lick of difference on game. So, the 308 with a 16" barrel may perform more like a 300 Savage with a 20-22" barrel.  Big deal. The compact youth rifles in 7-08, 243 etc with their 18-19" barrels perform just fine.

At these rifles price-point, you could pick up two Savages, with their fairly accurate barrels and crappy stocks and sloppy actions, or spend a little more for two Tikka T3X's, Browning AB3, Weatherby, Bergara etc and I would imagine shoot just as accurately in the Georgia woods as these "precision rifles" would with all their do-dads and gee-gaws. But then again, they ain't much different than your Weatherby Vanguard. How steady can you hold it? How good is your ammo? 

Practically speaking, I don't see any accuracy advantage to a precision rifle from anywhere but a shooting bench. Even the custom bolt rifles with blueprinted actions, match grade barrels and custom stocks they generally test fire those from a gun vice, and in many cases with high power (20-30 power) scopes. Many of the newer guns, even at the entry level price point can print MOA or less at 100 yards out of a vice with load development under those circumstances. Off hand, or off a rail in a stand or ground blind, the overwhelming variable is the person holding the weapon. The kill zone on medium and large game is pretty forgiving anyway.

Our Savage is a 260 Remington. It has a cheap $100 Nikon scope and off one shooting bag under the fore end groups just under 1" at 100 yards for three shots with Federal Fusion ammo. On good days, 2 of 3 holes touch, but only with a cold barrel. I don't particularly like the action. It is sloppy and the trigger is ok, but it is the most accurate hunting gun we have. 

I am about to coin toss myself over two Tikka T3X's: One is a 6.5 Swede, the other a 260 Remington.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:35 PM, Trigger Mike said:

I mainly wanted a hunting rifle that is different than what I have.   Sig is 6.5 pounds and a shorter barrel.   

Tikka, Savage lightweight Hunter, Remington Model 7, Winchester 70 FTW all come to mind.......Heck my daddy in law's old Remington 7400 in 243 is just a whole lotta fun to shoot, trying to talk him into selling it to me. I believe I will ultimately succeed. Shoulders like a Remington shotgun.

A Krag Jorgenson in 30-40 or 6.5x55 Swede ($$$) would do the trick at being different. A Savage 99 in 300 Savage is a real nice deer rifle that is nostalgic and a bit different for our parts.

Those are good points Dan.  Most of my deer shots down here in south Georgia have been around 140 yards.  Even a cheap loose savage could make do at that distance.  

My 12 year old traded hus ruger american 308 to my for my weatherby vanguard 30.06 with Leopold scope.  He likes it better.   I thought of getting rid of the ruger in favor of the sig but it's smarter to keep the ruger.  Especially after reading your valid points.

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

Those are good points Dan.  Most of my deer shots down here in south Georgia have been around 140 yards.  Even a cheap loose savage could make do at that distance.  

My 12 year old traded hus ruger american 308 to my for my weatherby vanguard 30.06 with Leopold scope.  He likes it better.   I thought of getting rid of the ruger in favor of the sig but it's smarter to keep the ruger.  Especially after reading your valid points.

3 /4 of my boys have Ruger Americans in 270 Winchester.

The oldest uses a Glenfield 30 I picked up for him in like new condition. He is 19 now and wanting an AR in something like 6.5 creedmore or 260 remington.

There is an idea for ya…. My buddy deer hunts with his AR all the time.

1 hour ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

3 /4 of my boys have Ruger Americans in 270 Winchester.

The oldest uses a Glenfield 30 I picked up for him in like new condition. He is 19 now and wanting an AR in something like 6.5 creedmore or 260 remington.

There is an idea for ya…. My buddy deer hunts with his AR all the time.

Ive mentioned the AR to my oldest and my youngest has used one, but they both have seen how hard a deer falls with a 30.06 and sometimes we hunt in brush and a .223 is deflected too easily.  

No experience with the Sig Cross, but I spent bench time with the Ruger.  I thought it was a nice rifle for the money, but I decided to invest a bit more for a Seekins Precision Havak PH2 in 6.5 Creedmoor.  I've been very happy with the choice.

Seekins Precision 6.5 Creedmoor.jpg

10 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Doug Koenig is sponsored by Ruger & he competes & wins in PRS.  I have seen Ruger press releases re. Doug Koenig and PRS wins.

While Doug Koenig could compete with most any reliable/accurate rifle and beat most other shooters on any given day, the RPR that he competes with is not a box-stock rifle.

I would not buy the RPR as a primary hunting rifle unless I was hunting out of a stand with the ability to mount it on a tripod or otherwise have good supports.  It's not a rifle you're going to rapidly bring up to shoulder for snap shots.

8 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

While Doug Koenig could compete with most any reliable/accurate rifle and beat most other shooters on any given day, the RPR that he competes with is not a box-stock rifle.

I would not buy the RPR as a primary hunting rifle unless I was hunting out of a stand with the ability to mount it on a tripod or otherwise have good supports.  It's not a rifle you're going to rapidly bring up to shoulder for snap shots.

His rifle is from the Ruger Custom Shop & meets the requirements of the bolt gun production division.  https://www.ammoland.com/2021/11/doug-koenig-wins-prs-bolt-gun-finale-production-division-title/#axzz7CfpJVS1U

I wouldn't choose any PRS rifle for hunting that requires carrying cross country.  

If we are talking about accuracy I am going to get more information on what my daughter just used to bag her elk. She is a disabled vet and was selected for a special guided hunt here in Arizona. I had her out practicing a little with my Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag at 150 yards. She didn't use my gun. The guide required that she use his. The elk was across the canyon at 782 yards. She made the shot and then got up because she was so excited. The guide told her she had to take another shot because the elk was till standing. She got down and took another shot that anchored the elk. When they got to the elk the two bullet holes were about three inches apart! When she called me and told me the distance, I questioned if she was confusing feet and yards. She confirmed it was yards. I told her that there was no way she did that with my rifle! She agreed and told me what she used. It was a .28 Nosler using a special range compensating scope. I have found a retailer here in AZ that sells the scope and rifle for a minimum of $4500. From there they add the muzzle break and silencer and other goodies.

https://www.bestofthewestarizona.com/product-page/hunter-elite-lite

I want one. 

245083727_568204014405186_4019183221042676233_n.jpg

245372139_396792122111442_4721070306729293685_n.jpg

244654722_592528708457296_8878063259137204925_n.jpg

On 11/30/2021 at 5:30 PM, Cholla said:

If we are talking about accuracy I am going to get more information on what my daughter just used to bag her elk. She is a disabled vet and was selected for a special guided hunt here in Arizona. I had her out practicing a little with my Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag at 150 yards. She didn't use my gun. The guide required that she use his. The elk was across the canyon at 782 yards. She made the shot and then got up because she was so excited. The guide told her she had to take another shot because the elk was till standing. She got down and took another shot that anchored the elk. When they got to the elk the two bullet holes were about three inches apart! When she called me and told me the distance, I questioned if she was confusing feet and yards. She confirmed it was yards. I told her that there was no way she did that with my rifle! She agreed and told me what she used. It was a .28 Nosler using a special range compensating scope. I have found a retailer here in AZ that sells the scope and rifle for a minimum of $4500. From there they add the muzzle break and silencer and other goodies.

I want one. 

Ive seen those Huskemaw scopes on some other hunting shows. I believe they are tailor made to the rifle loads specific ballistics. That is they come with custom turrets for your load. Neat stuff. 

2 hours ago, Cholla said:

I want one. 

Very nice!

The 28 Nosler is an improved 7mm Rem Ultra Mag.  I've not shot a 28 Nosler but did not find the 7mm RUM in a Savage 116 Weather Warrior to be too bad.  At least not on the shooter.  Makes an ok round on the East coast and South when shooting over bean fields but that's about it IMO.  Out West it's in its element.

Archived