SASS Wire Forum

So how do ya cook 'em?

Well?  Favorite turkey cooking method?  :)

I do mine on the Weber (breast down, to keep it moist).  ^_^

Oven. 360 degrees. Pretty much the traditional method. 

I am thinking about smoking one for Christmas. I have a Louisiana grill smoker. Love that thing. 

3 days in brine--Rinse--Cut thru back and push down flat.      Smoke at 275-300 till 180       GW

1 minute ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

I can pretty well guess that turkey is gonna be tough to light 

BC :P

You need the right papers. 

We didn't brine but put a store-bought Butterball in the fridge two days ago.  Pulled it out this morning, unwrapped it, cleaned it out, dried it off, dusted it with salt and pepper and then put it on the Kamado Joe (ceramic egg) at 300°F with heat deflectors in place.

2 1/2 hours on a rack in a baking dish (to catch the juices) uncovered followed by another 45 minutes covered.

May be an image of food

2 hours ago, G W Wade said:

3 days in brine--Rinse--Cut thru back and push down flat.      Smoke at 275-300 till 180       GW

You "spatchcocked" it!  :)

What a cool idea~!  :lol:

had a 13 pound butterball for us all.  325 for just over 3 hours.  covered it first in sunflower oil and butter and but pats of butter and pork meat under the skin on the breast.  salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, orange zest spice, a few carrots and blackberries and pecans in the cavity, lid off until the last 45 minutes.  just right.  

I stuffed the bird, and cooked it in a "LOOK" cooking bag with white wine.

The LOOK bag catches all the juices for gravy.

(Our Thanksgiving was October 11)

3 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Bring turkey to Fritz’s Meats for smoking two weeks before the holiday. Pick up smoked turkey 6 days later and place in fridge. Remove from fridge on holiday and heat in oven at 325 degrees until warm. Serve and eat. 

Best recipe EVER! :rolleyes:

Mine was almost that easy.  Went to Honeybaked Hams and ordered turkey breast with all the fixings.  Warmed them up and had dinner.  The fastest clean up I've ever had as well.  I think this is going to be a tradition with us.

Thoroughly season inside and out with salt, pepper and Bell's seasoning. Melt a stick of butter in a skillet, then toss in a couple sprigs of rosemary, sage and thyme. Cook for about a minute. Remove sprigs and place them in the cavity. Brush entire turkey thoroughly with infused butter. Place on bed of roughly chopped onion, carrots and celery, boobs up. Place in 325° oven, approximately 15 min/pound. LEAVE IT ALONE! No peeking, prodding, poking or basting till temp hits 170-175° Ours comes out perfect and juicy every time!

Take bird out of the freezer, remove wrapper, wrap frozen bird in foil, 10 pm put in oven at 250* F. By 11:00 AM remove from oven and let rest. TRY to remove from pan without it falling apart. Give good shake and the meat just falls from the bones and even the breast is moist.

So far, only Waxahachie Kid has mentioned frying it.

I have never sampled fried turkey.  I do know a number of folks who have done it - and most of 'em have had some sort of catastrophe in the process.  I once loaned a brand new garden wagon to a buddy.  Not sure if he used it to hold his fryer or if it was just in the vicinity when it let go, but a dozen years later the danged thing is still sticky and gunked up.

But no one was hurt, and it was far enough from the house that no damage was done.  Except to my wagon.  And his turkey.  :rolleyes:

Is deep frying turkey dangerous? - Quora

13 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So far, only Waxahachie Kid has mentioned frying it.

I have never sampled fried turkey.  I do know a number of folks who have done it - and most of 'em have had some sort of catastrophe in the process.  I once loaned a brand new garden wagon to a buddy.  Not sure if he used it to hold his fryer or if it was just in the vicinity when it let go, but a dozen years later the danged thing is still sticky and gunked up.

But no one was hurt, and it was far enough from the house that no damage was done.  Except to my wagon.  And his turkey.  :rolleyes:

Is deep frying turkey dangerous? - Quora

When we lived in Cali, we fried a turkey for the family every year for about 10 years.   Now that it's only the two of us, it's too costly to fry one.  The smallest turkey we could put in the fryer was about 8 pounds, which is a lot of turkey for the two of us.  The last time I checked, the peanut oil to fill the fryer was about $35.00.  We would also need to purchase a new propane tank since we no longer have a gas grill.  All that having been said, we love fried turkey and would do it again if the occasion presented itself.

For wild turkeys I like deep frying. Second best was in the oven in a roaster bag, but the legs aren't quite as edible.

Archived