SASS Wire Forum

1873 Rifle Fitting for a Small Person.

Dusty Devil Dale

My 5'3" small frame  wife has trouble squaring up with her '73, and ends up shouldering it out on her shoulder joint, rather than in close.  Her stance often has her shoulders more parallel to the rifle than perpendicular.  So when she levers the rifle, the whole rifle moves. 

One part of the problem is that she is nearly deaf, and has to wear much bulkier ear electronics than most of us.  So she cannot get the rifle properly up against her cheek.  The LOP is about an inch less than where it would be if measured from inside the elbow to the trigger, so I believe LOP is probably OK. 

So here is my question:

I've been wondering about making a 1" deep cut-away on the top rear of the buttstock, similar to a scope mounted high power stock, but probably a bit larger cut.  That would help fit around the ear gear.  But it would seem to be a visible external modification. So, is a butt-stock cutaway of that type competition-legal ?

TOO LONG stocks are hard to keep on the shoulder when levering.  Crescent butt plates on most factory 73s are tough for most folks to keep "in the pocket" inside the shoulder, rather than out on the joint.   Measuring LOP using the bent elbow method VERY OFTEN gives a stock too long for most cowgirl shooters, but can work in many cases for target shooting.   Fitting stocks using techniques from target sports (recently recommended on other posts) usually result in stocks that are still too long for fast handling.

Shortening the butt stock, flattening the butt and putting on a thin rubber recoil pad usually solves both of those problems. 

Hearing protection is something that you should explore further.  Check with an audiologist to see what devices can be used to get 30 or more DB of reduction (or more if she needs) without the bulk of a set of muffs.

I would imagine a butt stock relief cut to accommodate muffs would be an External Modification which would require a Rules Committee exemption for her.    (Can be done with sufficiently good explanation.)  And would have to be planned very carefully to still leave her an anchor point between the stock and her cheek.  And to avoid any possible hang-ups while mounting and dismounting the gun.

I would re-think the hearing protection device, myself.  There are some Cowboy shooters using in-ear electronic noise blocking devices that safely protect what little hearing is left.

good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

TOO LONG stocks are hard to keep on the shoulder when levering.  Crescent butt plates on most factory 73s are tough for most folks to keep "in the pocket" inside the shoulder, rather than out on the joint.   Measuring LOP using the bent elbow method VERY OFTEN gives a stock too long for most cowgirl shooters, but can work in many cases for target shooting.   Fitting stocks using techniques from target sports (recently recommended on other posts) usually result in stocks that are still too long for fast handling.

Shortening the butt stock, flattening the butt and putting on a thin rubber recoil pad usually solves both of those problems. 

Hearing protection is something that you should explore further.  Check with an audiologist to see what devices can be used to get 30 or more DB of reduction (or more if she needs) without the bulk of a set of muffs.

I would imagine a butt stock relief cut to accommodate muffs would be an External Modification which would require a Rules Committee exemption for her.    (Can be done with sufficiently good explanation.)  And would have to be planned very carefully to still leave her an anchor point between the stock and her cheek.  And to avoid any possible hang-ups while mounting and dismounting the gun.

I would re-think the hearing protection device, myself.  There are some Cowboy shooters using in-ear electronic noise blocking devices that safely protect what little hearing is left.

good luck, GJ

Thank you.  Sound guidance. 

We've looked into different ear protection, over the last 20 or so years.  Her hearing devices are internal ones.  She could wear ordinary ear plugs, but then she cannot hear T.O. commands.  (Her hearing deficit is hereditary, and she needs almost 70bd to be able to hear at all without her hearing devices) Her hearing aides will amplify that much, but then she needs the secondary external muffs with very fast reaction time (0.002 sec) to block the high frequency and very loud sounds.  So she has to wear both. 

Her Audiologist advises her not to shoot at all, but she loves the game and is insistent.  So we've both learned ASL and plan to use that and texting to communicate when her time comes.   Weve been married 50 yrs, so I plan to keep her around.   But you've given me a couple new ideas to work on.  Thank you v. much. 

This seems to me to be a "medically" required accomodation.

I would submit the request to the rules committee for clarification and if approved - carry the letter with you.

I would also make match directors aware of the situation and accomodation at any larger match you wished to attend.

As a match director - I would have zero issue with this as the stock cut would provide no competitive advantage.

According to my uncle. (as he told me as a kid)

Hold her upper and lower arm at 90 degree angle to each other.

With the trigger hand in the gripping the buttstock in shooting position ( palm up ), the buttstock should rest nicely against her bicep.

Shortening the buttstock to the correct length would improve fit and safety.

I use Walker Silencer electronic ear buds for hearing protection… volume can be adjusted for ambient sound and speech but block the loud rapport of gunshots. Look into these. I really enjoy mine 

I have been really pleased with these hearing protectors, they work very well at our matches.

https://nrastore.com/departments/gear/shooting-gear/nra-zem-enhanced-hearing-protection

Archived