SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Shortage/How’re Doing?

Tequila Shooter

This shortage has been going on for quite awhile now.  So many have said things like “I’ve been through this kinda thing before and are stocked up.”  So, how’s everyone coping now that it’s been over a year.   I hate to sound negative but it doesn’t look like supply is going to get better anytime soon, so what’s your plan?  Keep shooting till you run out or start limiting which matches you shoot?  

Supply is back. You can find primers and powder on weekly basis at one of the major online retailers… not as cheap as before but I am back on 10k primers stockpile… at $75/1000 not $40/1000 but still only adds 3.5 cents per round.

powder is almost back to normal if you look around - $22-25

Doing great on powder. Shy on SPP but ok with the others. I'll be able to shoot another year or two with no restock. I cast my own bullets so no issues there, even to hunt. I made sure others could shoot too. Kinda shot myself in the foot if things don't come back.

27 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

This shortage has been going on for quite awhile now.  So many have said things like “I’ve been through this kinda thing before and are stocked up.”  So, how’s everyone coping now that it’s been over a year.   I hate to sound negative but it doesn’t look like supply is going to get better anytime soon, so what’s your plan?  Keep shooting till you run out or start limiting which matches you shoot?  

Shoot what I can.

We seem to be able to find enough for our next need.;)

Compulsion had made me buy a few thousand at prices that set my neck hair on end.  I've pretty much decided to put a thousand of five flavors I stock (large pistol, small pistol, large rifle, small rifle, and shotgun)  and a couple of tins of Remington #10 percussion caps back in the dark corners of the cabinet.  Other than those, I'm gonna shoot until I'm out.  That should take a while, with the current level of matches going on around me.  

I'm shorter on #7.5 shot than I like to be, but I can find it at twice what I paid for the last bag.  

I am doing okay. I am always doing searches and finding what I need. Not much more, but like the song says:

You can’t always get what you want, but you get what you need. :D

45 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:Remington #10 percussion caps back in the dark corners of the cabinet. 

I'm shorter on #7.5 shot than I like to be, but I can find it at twice what I paid for the last bag.  

Try @SHOOTIN FOX I think he sells 7.5

I have a good supply of everything. Quite content. Loaded rounds, enough for 15 or so matches and supplies for a couple more years. The caveat being... I have this because I have not been shooting much over the last couple of years. :(

Getting pretty low on Trail Boss powder though. Good thing Unique is available.

Down under we are really starting to feel it..mainly primers & powder  which I'm hearing will be up to 2 years before reasonable stocks start becoming available. BP could be gone for good  after the last shipment into OZ next may.Just getting way to expensive  for the importer.

Wads are getting very hard to get, plenty of reclaimed shot around..brass supplies are limited.

I stocked up over time  & can last for up to 3-4 years & having the Magma caster certainly helps.

On occassion I help a couple of mates otherwise I say no... they  were warned it was going to get tougher to find things.

I'm trying to find reloading components/ammunition around here, in a place I can walk in to, and buy it, is not working out very well. 

I do not want to pay a haz-mat fee, on top of the already disgustingly high prices, so I am not looking on-line for anything.

I am not seeing a lot of anything on the shelves around here, yet...unless...one is looking for expensive 9mm, or 5.56mm, or .223, with a 1 or 2 box limit.

Obviously, if "they" are working 24/7/365, it hasn't reached the shelves around here. What little is here, is too expensive. I refuse to buy it.  

Perhaps next year may be better. The operative word is "may".

I'm not holding my breath. 

10 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

So many have said things like “I’ve been through this kinda thing before and are stocked up.”  So, how’s everyone coping now that it’s been over a year.   I hate to sound negative but it doesn’t look like supply is going to get better anytime soon, so what’s your plan?  

I've been stocking up on reloading components and ammunition since the Clinton administration.  I've had to acquire a bunch more cabinets, locks and locking cabinets,

I should be good for quite some time, I had been buying supplies even when I didn't really need them. 

Archived