SASS Wire Forum

The Smell Of Thanksgiving

Cypress Sun

Turkey baking, the windows open and the air stirring the aroma...my Great Grandmother making the giblet gravy...the clinking of the dishes being put on the table...Grandfather carving the turkey as we all awaited the moment...great times.

My favorite smell.

The smell of turkey in the oven. Love that smell. 

I woke up to that smell at 4 AM. My wife slow roasted the turkey over night. At 5 I was up and the turkey was done. Since we’re going to have dinner with family out Turkey is just for us. I had a turkey leg and a glass of milk for breakfast. Man, that’s a great way to start the day. 

Turkey's been in the oven about an hour. Wife made a pumpkin pie and it's done and cooling on a rack. Next I'm gonna make a creamed spinach dish ala Gulliver's Restaurant in Irvine CA (English pub style restaurant that's been there over 50 years). Then the usual dressing and mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce and dinner rolls. Right now I'm reloading some .45ACP.

Gonna eat around 4:30 mountain time.

Our daughter in law is quite the baker so she volunteered to bake the pies. These are the pies that don’t need to be refrigerated and there are 3 more in the refrigerator. My wife used to bake 12-15 pies every Thanksgiving and would start baking them on Sunday to have them all done. She’s much more relaxed this year.

7AC8DAEC-EDE2-4D88-B069-46CB7F4DD13C.jpeg

The smell of wet oak leaves and the pines. Started the day in a deer blind well before dawn. Came home and the house smelled of ham and turkey. Last night was all the pie baking. 

Archived