SASS Wire Forum

Favorite guns, Best guns, Heirloom guns, guns you'll never sell

Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L

All of my guns sank in the deep water of Lake Roosevelt when the boat I was riding in caught fire and sank as I was delivering them to a friend of mine who is now deceased.

Ya know, I've thought about this some more, and there is one that I'd like to keep in the family, but I don't know who I'd hand it down to in order to preserve it and the history I've researched and compiled about it. 

This 1849 Colt was plowed up in a field on my grandfather's homestead around 1940 about 3 miles from where I presently live. He was pulling weeds out of a plugged up rod weeder, and this came out with the weeds. Digging around a bit more with his hands, he also found the broken off backstrap. The gun is still loaded and has a completely intact cap on one nipple, as well as the remains on two others. It hung on the wall of the house for many years and one day someone noticed it had something scratched into the butt. Under magnification, it reads, "C Smith April 29 1861". With the advent of computer data bases, I have been able to locate three pieces of correspondence at the University of Utah's manuscript library from a C Smith to his boss, Nat Stein, all dated 1865. The signature on the letters is a spot on match to the scribing on the gun butt, and it is absolutely certain it is the same man. Nat Stein was a vice president of Overland Express, and it appears C Smith was a traveling agent in charge of at least three stage stations in present day southwest Montana; Horse Prairie Station, Red Rock Station, and Junction Station, all three of which I have located on Google Earth. The gun was likely lost on the trail to or from Fort Benton, and was found a couple hundred yards off a known route to the fort from points south and west.

RelicColt 001.jpg

RelicColt 008.jpg

6 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Ya know, I've thought about this some more, and there is one that I'd like to keep in the family, but I don't know who I'd hand it down to in order to preserve it and the history I've researched and compiled about it. 

This 1849 Colt was plowed up in a field on my grandfather's homestead around 1940 about 3 miles from where I presently live. He was pulling weeds out of a plugged up rod weeder, and this came out with the weeds. Digging around a bit more with his hands, he also found the broken off backstrap. The gun is still loaded and has a completely intact cap on one nipple, as well as the remains on two others. It hung on the wall of the house for many years and one day someone noticed it had something scratched into the butt. Under magnification, it reads, "C Smith April 29 1861". With the advent of computer data bases, I have been able to locate three pieces of correspondence at the University of Utah's manuscript library from a C Smith to his boss, Nat Stein, all dated 1865. The signature on the letters is a spot on match to the scribing on the gun butt, and it is absolutely certain it is the same man. Nat Stein was a vice president of Overland Express, and it appears C Smith was a traveling agent in charge of at least three stage stations in present day southwest Montana; Horse Prairie Station, Red Rock Station, and Junction Station, all three of which I have located on Google Earth. The gun was likely lost on the trail to or from Fort Benton, and was found a couple hundred yards off a known route to the fort from points south and west.

RelicColt 001.jpg

RelicColt 008.jpg

That is just too cool of a story and firearm for just a "Thanks" or a "Like" symbol.

Are there any museums, or the like, in your area that would be interested? The story of the gun and C Smith are too interesting for just a few to enjoy. Thanks for the pic's and the story! 

On 11/28/2021 at 6:20 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

In a pinch, I would sell anything. :D

Need any kids? Got a couple I've considered selling a time or two! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have two Colt SAA revolvers. They are both early 3rd generation, .45 Colt caliber, nickel plated, 7 1/2 “ barrels with Sam bar stag grips. I use them for Cowboy Action Shooting. They will passed on down through my family.

Archived