SASS Wire Forum

WTT - Ruger Single Six .32 H&R Magnums (+Happy Thanksgiving)

Ozark Okie

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I have a lot to be thankful for and hope you do as well. One of the things I am thankful is that I discovered Cowboy Action Shooting, albeit late in life. 

Next year, I will begin shooting El Patron category; and I have a lot of room to improve which I intend to do. 

In the past year, I decided to switch to .32 caliber; managed to put together the .32 pistols (Ruger Single Sixes) and rifle (Marlin 94 Carbine) and don't expect to ever go back or change to any other caliber.  The purpose of this note is to investigate the possibility of a pistol change that would suit me better.  Right now I have one stainless, with a long grip frame and two blued with short grip frames, as you can see in the picture.  All have 4 5/8" barrels and are in good condition; not safe queens....all have been shot. In fact , they are what I'm now using 2 to 3 matches a month.  The fact is that the long grip frame feels better in my hand., so I end up most of the time using one of each. None of the guns has any special action work, just normal smoothing that I have done.  

What I want is another stainless, 4 5/8 with long grip frame...just like the one I have.  

What I have to trade is a pair of blued, 4 5/8 with short grip frames. 

So, for the right person, this could work out for both of us. I will trade a pair of pretty hard-to-come by Single Six 32s for one stainless version (also hard to come by) with long grip frame (and a few dollars).   

Most folks I know who have the Single Six 32s just don't want to part with them....but long shot here....maybe there is a single out there that would  be better exchanged for a pair. Let me know. As always, I appreciate the feedback, comments, suggestions I get from all the folks out there with lots more years of experience than I have. 

Ozark Okie 

1153431553_RugerSingleSixes32HRMagnum.thumb.jpg.1eae69772d24f081e13ed632f19ec77a.jpg

Just change the grip frames. All Ruger grip frames ever made will fit them. I shoot a pair with old model Bisley grip frames as I  like that style best.

20211125_083558.thumb.jpg.eb6c806bfec945a4101febb7fe354c8e.jpg

I have two pair of single-sixes. The stainless pair came as birds head grips and the blued as long grips. But the single-six plow share is a Blackhawk shape. I have replaced all of them with new vaquero grip frames from Brownells. They are all interchangeable. The stainless pair I just fitted and polished. The blued pair I fitted, polished and blued with a stump remover. Really like these pistols now.

JFN

Really good feedback. Thank you all. Glad to get the endorsement for Texas Grips...and interesting idea of replacing grip frames from Brownells. 

Provides a couple of alternatives if I can come up with a short grip stainless. I appreciate you taking the time to give me the feedback.  

OO

Your best, and cheapest option, would be to buy a couple of stainless Ruger grip frames and bolt them onto a pair of the pistols you already have.  Below are links to in stock frames.  You will have to determine which frames are the ones you want.  You should be able to pull the grips on the Single Six with the longer grip frame and order the one that matches (customer service can help you get the correct one). 

Someone more knowledgeable than me, might chime in if Vaquero grip frames will fit on Single Sixes.  My frame swaps have all been on Vaqueros.

I've purchased two sets of longer Super Blackhawk frames (longer than Vaquero grip frames) for a pair of OMV and a pair of NMV.  They were not hard to install.  It required filing and sanding for both pair, but the both pair turned out well.  I was careful not to do any sanding on the original parts of the pistols so I can put the original grip frames back on.

RUGER GRIP FRAME, ROUND GUARD, SS | Brownells

Ruger Grip Frame Ruger New Vaquero (midwayusa.com)

TN and Willie, thanks for the additional information about alternate grip frames. Really good picture showing the gun frame and grip frame fit; that slight variation would not bother me at all. Its a really good looking gun. 

Good Morning, Cusz,

Not sure I got the exact details that you are interested in, but pretty sure you want to trade for my stainless one.

That's the wrong direction for me....I want another stainless one to make a pair. 

Thanks for your interest ; even tho its misguided  (smile)

OO 

• 2 weeks later...

In response to question, here is a picture of the stamping in the grip frame of the stainless long grip one.

943622204_SingleSix32GripFramelong.thumb.jpg.8c136f57017d27b208fa38f9a64d5eec.jpg

Archived