SASS Wire Forum

Thumbing the trigger on a pistol

Buckshot Bear

19 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I bought them that way.  They're Jimmy Spurs NMVs.

D68635AF-8087-45D3-B7E8-66B81763789E.jpeg

5F27B901-73D1-400E-AC6A-AD7EC64DE449.jpegNotice the difference in the bottom picture when they both have their hammers down.

That's interesting.  I've seen shooters glue a spent primer behind the trigger to limit movement AFTER the sear releases, but your triggers are actually set further back.  

(v. nice looking grips, BTW, the light ones almost look like agate)

7 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I can't imagine how a person could slip hammer one-handed and control muzzle movement.  The thumb motion, especially at the instant of hammer release would be nearly impossible to overcome.   I'd love to see someone post a video of a Gunfighter or Duelist actually slip-hammering (and hitting targets).   It would seem to nullify all of the grip advantages of doing it two- handed. But I suppose with harder springs, a shorter hammer draw would be possible.   I guess I just need to try it and see.  

I suck hind teat to the best, but this one should be slip hammering. It by no means nullify the perceived advantages of shooting two handed.

I believe it was Santa Fe River Stan that said, "Lever, trigger, lever trigger. Not lever, lever dumbass."  Of course that was regarding the rifle.

At a two-day match with a stage that had a large pistol dump target I found myself doing hammer-trigger-trigger-hammer-hammer... You get the idea.

I taught myself to sliphammer and never looked back.  I draw, cock the hammer, pull the trigger on the first shot and keep it pinned back.

It did take some time to get it figured out.

I'm nowhere close to a "top shooter", but I'm better sliphammering than I was pulling the trigger every shot.

Archived