SASS Wire Forum

Have a question about home construction

Alpo

My master bathroom is small. When the door is open you cannot get into the shower. Also it is uncomfortable to sit on the toilet - the door is in the way of my left leg.

My immediate simple solution was to take the door off its hinges. I live alone, so I would not normally shut the door anyway. It does not greatly offend my dog to see me sitting on the toilet.

But I occasionally have guests, and they normally would like to have the ability either to shut the door for themselves, or to shut the door on me. Simple solution would be to have the door open out into the bedroom instead of in into the bathroom.

I originally was going to cut new inlets for the hinges and for the strike. I really don't want to do that, because it will leave the ones on the inside of the door frame, and it will look ugly.

Then it occurred to me that the wall was not built with the door in it. The wall was built with a hole, and then the door frame was stuck in the hole and nailed into place.

It therefore seems to me that I should be able to remove the strike plate and remove the hinges - both of which are screwed through the door frame into the studs - take off the trim from one side, and push the door frame out of the hole. Then take it through the hole, stand it up and push it back into the hole from the other side. Now the hinges will be on the outside, and the door will swing out instead of in. It will be out of my way, but if anyone desires to shut it the ability will be there.

Finally we get to my question.

Will this work?

Technically, what you're asking is possible.  However, I think you'll find that you'll probably tear up the door casing getting it out of the stud framing.  It all depends on finding all the nails before you split the trim work.  It would be easiest to go to your local big box store and buy a new door frame unit.  With a finish nailer, it takes me longer to unpackage the door unit than it does to install it.   You just need a level, pack of shims and a box knife.  Caulk and paint to suit.   

depends on how old your house is.  We replaced all the interior door frames about 10 years ago in our house.  It was built in the mid 50's and had been used as a rental much of the time since then and the door frames were all shot.  We found that with 60 years of settling, there wasn't a single door opening in the house that was even close to square.  What should have been a fairly simple job (done it before) turned into a PIA.   We finally got everything installed and once the trim was installed you couldn't see all the work it took to get these installed.  

More than once during that process I wished I had just refinished the doors that were there.

Have you considered removing the full width door and installing a bi-fold door?  Never seen one on a bathroom, but why not?

If your going to reuse the frame you are going to need a sawzall. After removing the trim from both sides and removing all the screws. Use the sawzall to cut the nails holding the frame in place.

Once out take care of the nails and then reinstall.

You could knock the pins out of the door and remove it from the frame. Then use some of those hippie beads from the 1960's.  Another option would be a magnetic door curtain.  They have lots of options on Amazon.  You'd just have to pick one you couldn't see through.

My son had the same problem he lives alone and he took the door off. He has hardly anyone over and if he does there's a  closet outside the bathroom that with the door open it gives the bathroom partial cover. He said if he's having a little party which would include female guests he just puts the door back on! Problem solved!;)

I guess my question is can you put the door back on easily when you know you're having guests or do you have guests that show up unannounced? My son only has a few buddies that stop occasionally and me but he almost always knows when he's having a few people over.

Actually I never think about putting the door back on until one of the guests needs to go.

I am not the world's greatest host.

My granddaughter will go in there and open the shower door. That does a pretty fair job of blocking the toilet from view.IMG_20211124_083917996.thumb.jpg.76d7b041f1548edf421a9a55ab1e4344.jpg

Pocket door?
Yes, more work, but ideal for cramped spaces.

S.D. thanks for the tip on the sawz-all.
The bride wants to relocate the kitchen door, and I want to keep the existing frame and matching hinge mounts.

Nah.  None the above.  My Sister had a similar problem.  We removed the door and substituted Saloon Doors.  Worked a treat.  Had a side benefit too.  Her MIL refused to "go" in there.  Went home much sooner (snicker snicker snicker)

3 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

You could knock the pins out of the door and remove it from the frame. Then use some of those hippie beads from the 1960's.  Another option would be a magnetic door curtain.  They have lots of options on Amazon.  You'd just have to pick one you couldn't see through.

A shower rod and curtain in the doorway would keep the bathroom theme.  

Putting a quick lift hinge (think Jeep door) is quicker for putting the door back in a hurry.

22 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Technically, what you're asking is possible.  However, I think you'll find that you'll probably tear up the door casing getting it out of the stud framing.  It all depends on finding all the nails before you split the trim work.  It would be easiest to go to your local big box store and buy a new door frame unit.  With a finish nailer, it takes me longer to unpackage the door unit than it does to install it.   You just need a level, pack of shims and a box knife.  Caulk and paint to suit.   

I would do this^^^^^

I have done what you were planning and it NEVER goes as planned or as easy as just doing what @Badlands Bob #61228suggested. 

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Actually I never think about putting the door back on until one of the guests needs to go.

I am not the world's greatest host.

My granddaughter will go in there and open the shower door. That does a pretty fair job of blocking the toilet from view.IMG_20211124_083917996.thumb.jpg.76d7b041f1548edf421a9a55ab1e4344.jpg

If your guests have a doorless bathroom and a bucket as a toilet, you probably don't qualify as an "average host" by modern standards.  

The bucket just happens to be in the corner. The toilet is blocked from your view by the shower door.

Surely I am not the only one that can see that white shape behind the frosted door?

903227720_IMG_20211124_0839179962.thumb.jpg.143465942f95588777e5e4f5f1cb7298.jpg

For just under $40 you can install an accordion fold door without altering the frame. Just remove the door stop trim. You can fill the old hinge cutouts in the frame with wood putty and paint. They’re sold at places like Home Depot and Lowe’s. Google accordion fold doors for pics. 

19 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

If your guests have a doorless bathroom and a bucket as a toilet, you probably don't qualify as an "average host" by modern standards.  

Yea, I saw the Homer Bucket too, but I didn't say anything.  It was the perfect opportunity, but I kept it professional.  Let the record show that it wasn't me.

Actually the bucket was intended as a toilet. When my daughter came down to help, after Michael, we had neither electricity nor running water. I did have a luggable loo, which is a toilet seat designed to clamp onto a 5 gallon bucket. I did not have a five gallon bucket. So she brought me one. But before it was necessary to use it they got the water turned on again.

Archived