SASS Wire Forum

Planning Thanksgiving

Lawdog Dago Dom

I swear to gawd...If some pinhead starts talking about their dietary BS I think I am just going to get up and leave.

My wife and I have been invited to my son-in-law's parents house.

I don't do political discussions with these people, but there always seems to be one dipstick that just has to let everyone know their dietary crap.

I think I will start telling everyone  that I have DTSD and that discussing the latest diet craze makes me crazy and violent.

DTSD = Dietary Traumatic Stress Disorder

A few years back we started rotating the holidays amongst the family. This year we doubled up and will be going to one sisters for Thanksgiving and another for Christmas.

All we have to do is show up with some wine for Thanksgiving and some presents for Christmas. ;) Not next year but 2023 it will catch up with us and we will have both holidays at our place. Probably should start house cleaning/meal planning now while I am still thinking about it.

Works pretty well most of the time.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I actually forgot tomorrow was thanksgiving until I pulled into the supermarket parking lot. :( It wasn’t pretty.

I did get my turkey and sides. 

2374A2DA-FADB-4B99-9091-0D9705B86BC7.jpeg

BabyGirl's MIL still wants the family at her house so that's where we'll go.  BabyGirl won't be there - working.  We are sooooooooooo blessed in our in-laws.

Well, the family is gathering at my SiL's house and we will have a bunch staying with us. 5 of the 6 kid's families will be here. Gonna be a great time.

58 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I actually forgot tomorrow was thanksgiving until I pulled into the supermarket parking lot. :( It wasn’t pretty.

Replace the turkey with a six pack and you will have a fine Irish meal.

There’s a local meat market close to us that we have smoke a turkey for us. Been doing that for years. All we have to do is reheat and add in side dishes! The aroma is awesome, as well as YUM!  The great part about smoking them is leftovers last a long time. 

Tomorrow I get out of hospital after having my artificial knee revised for the second time. The first doc couldn’t get the job done the first two times, but I have high confidence level this new doc has gotten it right. 

So it’ll be my bride and just me this year, which is just fine with us. Gonna be a day of a fire in the fireplace, cowboy movies and maybe a little football. And a fair amount of napping too!

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Have I lost a day? I thought this was Tuesday.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

:lol:Thanksgiving is not tomorrow it’s Thursday! You’re welcome ! 

31 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Have I lost a day? I thought this was Tuesday.

I’m lucky I know the month.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

:lol:Thanksgiving is not tomorrow it’s Thursday! You’re welcome ! 

Thank God I went to the store today then. :lol: 
I would have wasted literally minutes preparing my Holiday meal, only to have to do it again the next day! :rolleyes:

With both of us still working at getting back to normal from Covid we decided not to "do" Thanksgiving as far as the meal is concerned.

After church I'll make a pot of hotdogs and Van Camp's Pork and Beans.  Bacon, onion, cut up hotdogs, the beans, catsup, dry mustard, yellow mustard, a little brown sugar, a little cider vinegar, some herbs.   Make it , keep it warm in the slow cooker and have it for a few days.

Last year we had Thanksgiving with neighbors.  Unfortunately, it was just this side of a nightmare.  {It started with a divorce announcement and went down hill from there.}  This year, we're staying home.  I ordered some turkey and fixings from Honeybaked Hams.  All I have to do is heat and eat.  Looking forward to the down time.

Reckon it's gonna be right quiet 'round these parts.  Several invites, but I'm just staying home.  Son be out for his second dinner of the day.

Meanwhile, the cats will learn they like turkey and I'll have about ten days of leftovers to look forward to.   ^_^

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

Last year we had Thanksgiving with neighbors.  Unfortunately, it was just this side of a nightmare.  {It started with a divorce announcement and went down hill from there.}  This year, we're staying home.  I ordered some turkey and fixings from Honeybaked Hams.  All I have to do is heat and eat.  Looking forward to the down time.

Divorce announcement?  And downhill from there? 

You have a sound plan for this year.

We will be combining Thanksgiving and Christmas later. We have a daughter and a granddaughter that have covid at present.

9 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Why do people do things like that? Invite friends & family for what should be a nice time then lay that crap on them. Selfishness maybe? 

Been there, done that myself. Not the crap, we got to experience that crap. 

I hope you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving. :)

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Why do people do things like that? Invite friends & family for what should be a nice time then lay that crap on them. Selfishness maybe? 

Been there, done that myself. Not the crap, we got to experience that crap. 

I hope you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving. :)

The hosts didn't announce the divorce, a third couple that was invited did.  The husband of the third couple chose to attend the gathering anyway.........When I have some time, I will give the rest of the story.

2 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

The hosts didn't announce the divorce, a third couple that was invited did.  The husband of the third couple chose to attend the gathering anyway.........When I have some time, I will give the rest of the story.

Oh…sorry. Regardless, still a giant holiday destroyer. No need to spend any more time on it. That was then. This is now. 
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. :)

I swear, I think my phone sabotages me to make me look like a goof. I can do that myself. I don’t need help from electronics. :D

Getting together with my two sons and my ex-wife. Yes we’re friends. Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing etc.  and I’m bringing a carrot cake with butter cream frosting. None of us are crazy about pumpkin pie but we all like carrot cake! 

We have ThanksChristmas. My son and grandson are here from Colorado, so we have to have a Christmas with them. Our dinner is pork loin, scalloped corn Texas Roadhouse green beans, and pumkin pie. Nobody particulary care for turkey.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’m bringing a carrot cake with butter cream frosting.

I do not believe I have ever had carrot cake with buttercream frosting. Always cream cheese.

My son and DIL are driving over from Las Vegas.  If they get here early enough we'll go to Sally B's cafe for turkey or ham.  If not we'll have Stouffer's frozen turkey tetrizinni and bottled egg nog, and maybe some baked beans or some such from a can or bottle or frozen package for a side dish.

It isn't about the food, it's about family and friends.  I could do with a Burger King double cheese burger and fries.

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

I do not believe I have ever had carrot cake with buttercream frosting. Always cream cheese.

Butter cream frosting is great! At least I think so!!

Reminiscing...

Perhaps my most cherished Thanksgiving memory is from about 1978.

Much to the confusion of a hatful of relatives, Thanksgiving Dinner that day was two Swanson turkey TV dinners shared with my old pal, Woody the Wonderdog.  Cooked on a Coleman stove in a duck blind near the Butte Sink in Northern California.

That was special.  And I did have the opportunity to take a bunch of ducks and a few geese - but I passed.  Mine was just too good a day to ruin theirs.  :)

Archived