SASS Wire Forum

Spurs

Buckshot Bear

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Is this a spur shelf? Its 1cm wide.

20211123_151515_resized.thumb.jpg.7e76cd27346c47b66fc9ad0d824cf18a.jpg

Looks like it to me. It looks like a big spur shelf.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

This!!! 

If I can't get to Tombstone.... I gotta' bring the fantasy of Tombstone here :)

I recommend you make plans to attend the Arizona state Bordertown match some time in the future and then we can stroll down the worn Tombstone boardwalk with our spurs a jingling. Just don't do it in 2022 because all my vacation time is spoken for...

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Do you really want to get into again?

Okay!

Boots are made for walking...according to some. Running in them ain't bad particularly Ropers with their relatively low heels. Now if you want to wear High Heels...well...who am I to judge. Now Chinks and Chaps...have yet to see someone fall down steps because of them, but perhaps you have? Now since I shoot BP and throw a bunch of Ballistol down the barrels of my revolvers after every stage, the Chinks receive the dripping Ballistol rather than my pants. And we all know how much these "Cowboy" authentic pants cost...wooooweeee! They ain't cheap! But being the wealthy person you are you'd probably never notice. Me...I'm just a po-boy;)

Your turn;)

Phantom

LOL you ain't so poor.....That Ballistol is dearer than good Whisky!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) 

Capture.thumb.JPG.3962af513b41172a61c1ede19ddccede.JPG

Some people can wear spurs without stumbling and others can't.

Definitely skip the heel chains. They are designed to prevent the spur from moving and increase the likely hood of stumbling. Especially when negotiating stairs. I like my spurs to be able to ride up my boot a bit if they hit something like a stair step so I wear them a little looser but not so loose that they fall off the ledge of my heel. 

I prefer the the shank of the spur rise up not down. This gets the rowel a little higher and makes it less likely to snag on you boot toes or other objects. The longer the shank the more likely it is to catch on things. 

As Hashknife pointed out spurs are hard on the floor mats of your iron steed, chairs, and anything else they come in contact with.  Avoid sharply pointed rowels as they make the damage worse.

Spurs and mowed grass that hasn't been raked don't go together. The thatch gets caught in the rowel. 

Make sure the jingle bobs are well secured to the spurs. My first set were held on with a flimsily piece of wire and before long it failed and I lost the jingle bobs off one spur. Now I use a good split ring to secure them. The split ting should be made of spring steel and make almost two complete loops like this.

Amazon.com : Catch All Tackle Stainless Steel Split Rings for BCD  Attachment 1.25" 10-Piece Pack USA : Sports & Outdoors 

Kevlar fishing line. ( AKA Spectra, Spider wire, etc) can be used if you know how to tie the knot properly. Simple overhand knots will not stayed tied.

Met a guy in the motorcycle community that would wear one spur on his left boot (I believe). He said it was there to act like a "curb feeler" so he could feel when he took a turn too low to the left!:rolleyes:

Long time spur wearer here in CAS!  Have some suggestions for Buckshot Bear. 

1.  Sounds like you are new to spurs; if so,  when you get them, put them on your boots and walk around the house/yard/up and down stairs etc for several days with them on.  You'll need to get used to having a 'longer foot' than what your brain has seen the last several decades.  You may need to 'adjust' your style of walking as well.  Best to use an old set of beat up boots also as toe scuffing may occur.

2.  Your boot should slip easily into the heel band, without needing to be pushed hard or mark the boot leather; otherwise the heel band opening is too small and this will hurt your feet after awhile. You may be able to pull on the sides of the heel band and open this up if the spur steel is soft, but be aware, that may also cause the shank and rowel to angle inwards more.

3. Wide spurs straps distribute weight better than thin/narrow ones and tend to be more comfortable.  They also tend to keep the spur in place better.

4. neutral or up turned shank spurs work better with low heeled boots  and don't drag on the gound.

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Pipes dragged on the right!:blink:

I was involved as a rider in a motor cycle crash when we tried to take a 35 mph curve at 85 mph near Fort Story, VA in 1982. We were desperately trying to lean right enough to make the curve and I remember the sparks off the pipes. We could not lean enough, went off into the medium and were down to 35 mph before the front tire lodged in a culvert grate. The sudden loss of forward movement caused me to lose my grip and land left-side down in the gravel cross over causing me to pass out. My next memory was of the paramedic cutting my shirt off. I still have road rash all these years later and is partially why I have a mustache. 

11 hours ago, Cholla said:

I was involved as a rider in a motor cycle crash when we tried to take a 35 mph curve at 85 mph near Fort Story, VA in 1982. We were desperately trying to lean right enough to make the curve and I remember the sparks off the pipes. We could not lean enough, went off into the medium and were down to 35 mph before the front tire lodged in a culvert grate. The sudden loss of forward movement caused me to lose my grip and land left-side down in the gravel cross over causing me to pass out. My next memory was of the paramedic cutting my shirt off. I still have road rash all these years later and is partially why I have a mustache. 

That sent a shiver up my spine reading that Cholla.

On 11/23/2021 at 9:28 AM, Sacramento Johnson #6873 said:

Long time spur wearer here in CAS!  Have some suggestions for Buckshot Bear. 

1.  Sounds like you are new to spurs; if so,  when you get them, put them on your boots and walk around the house/yard/up and down stairs etc for several days with them on.  You'll need to get used to having a 'longer foot' than what your brain has seen the last several decades.  You may need to 'adjust' your style of walking as well.  Best to use an old set of beat up boots also as toe scuffing may occur.

2.  Your boot should slip easily into the heel band, without needing to be pushed hard or mark the boot leather; otherwise the heel band opening is too small and this will hurt your feet after awhile. You may be able to pull on the sides of the heel band and open this up if the spur steel is soft, but be aware, that may also cause the shank and rowel to angle inwards more.

3. Wide spurs straps distribute weight better than thin/narrow ones and tend to be more comfortable.  They also tend to keep the spur in place better.

4. neutral or up turned shank spurs work better with low heeled boots  and don't drag on the gound.

Hope this helps!

This! Especially the part about wearing them enough to get used to walking with them on before you try something like running through a SASS stage. 

Side note (not trying to hijack the thread): in 2018 in Tombstone we shot the Winter Range warm up match on Saturday. When we got back to our motel, me driving, some other shooters were at the same motel. When I got out of the pickup wearing my spurs one of them commented that I was awful brave driving with my spurs on. My reply was that the first time I drove with spurs on was 40 years before piloting a stock truck loaded with horses down out of the mountains so now it's no biggie...

I've worn large roweled spurs since the beginning of my CAS days. Never a problem with walking, stairs, running, whatever... just be mindful that they're there. I have 5 or so pair now and love spurs. Never needed heel chains. 

At HoW several years back a feller on my posse had a pair of absolutely gorgeous spurs on. I cannot remember the maker. Several of us were more interested in his spurs than his guns. Lol

7 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I've worn large roweled spurs since the beginning of my CAS days. Never a problem with walking, stairs, running, whatever... just be mindful that they're there. I have 5 or so pair now and love spurs. Never needed heel chains. 

At HoW several years back a feller on my posse had a pair of absolutely gorgeous spurs on. I cannot remember the maker. Several of us were more interested in his spurs than his guns. Lol

https://bitterrootsaddleco.com/jeremiah-watt-spurs-jwp/

I have worn spurs so much that I don't even think about it.  Went YEARS that all I had was boots that had spurs on them

at all times. But at that time I was riding horses for a living so they just stayed on my boots at all times. Rode, walked, drove, it

did not matter. They was always on my boots. 

So I am more comfortable than most would be with them to shoot in. 

I will say. That if you are going to buy cheap spurs that don't fit your boot right. Please. Just don't.

I have posted this before but if your spurs are too tight in the band here is how you open them up.

1. Take the straps off first so they won't be in the way,

2. Place the spur upside down (rowel pointing up) on the round part of your anvil,

3. With your off- hand grasp tightly the open part of the band under the anvil,

4. Using a heavy hammer pound on the round part of the band,

5. Try them often to see if they fit better.

Some hammer marks will occur but makes them look authentic. If they are the cheaper, cast spurs they will probably break when you hit them

Archived