SASS Wire Forum

150 - 165 gr 44 bullets

Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905

I assume you want to shoot these in Smokeless. In any case, Accurate Molds are head and shoulders better than LEE molds. I have at least 15 of each and use them all, and when I can afford it buy the Accurate equivalent of my LEE's as they are so much better. Better quality cavities, better aluminum alloy, and you have a choice of mould block size to better match up the bullet size you want, whereas LEE just has the one mould block size, used from .32 to 45-70. So the LEE .32's can be difficult to heat up and the 45-70 mould can easily overheat. Also, the alignment pins on the LEE tend to loosen up over time if used for great quantities of bullets, where I can't remember if any of my Accurate Molds having done so.  For that matter I don't think any of my NOE or Mihec moulds have done so either, also great quality molds.

And to answer your question, I shoot 165s all the time from my 44-40's with Blackpowder, and my son shoots a different 165 from his 44-40 smokeless guns. Difficult to go much lower though, as the bullets get too short for a toggle action gun, depends on the bullet design.

I'll second the Accurate and NOE molds being much better than Lee, for accuracy of dimensions, for speed of casting, for long life of the molds.   Right up there with Saeco mold quality. 

good luck, GJ

Yup, it makes it to the target every time!

I had Accurate build me a 145g WC for my revolvers. I love wadcutters for all 4 of my revolver calibers. They work great. Not for rifles though.

CAVEAT:  I don't cast my bullets.  Just shoot 'em.  But, I exclusively shoot 160Gr bullets in my 44 Open Tops (44 Russian) and my 44 Spl '66 (44 Russian).  Got my last shipment of bullets from Missouri Bullet Co. but I also shoot bullets from Badman and Scarlett.

Archived