SASS Wire Forum

How far are you willing to go?

Singin' Sue 71615

For a match?

A weekend or annual...up to a major like State, National or World Championship.

I know all too well the $$ factor...we reared 6 kiddos on a simple wage. We were lucky to go the 20 minutes down the road, much less travel.

I also get the work/vacation issue...one reason I 'retired' 10 years ago. Shanley was blessed to have moved into a great department after we married, and I decided I wanted weekends and the ability to go if we wanted. (He earned 5 weeks of vacation per year...I maxed at 2)

So, lets leave the discussion of "why I don't" out of the thread.

Just think about how far you are willing to go. 

I'll start.

We have, and are willing to go as far as English, Tx for their monthly match, if the timeing is right. Like this weekend!!! The Friday off for Thanksgiving gives us a day to travel over, all day Saturday to shoot Cowboy then PCC, and Sunday to travel back.

(When all the 'lockdown' started, we went 3 times to Bar 3 ...we had vacation open from WR and EOT being canceled.)

As we are near retirement...we will be looking at a bunch more States to shoot in, and great matches to look forward to...so don't forget to put why you'd travel 'that far' to shoot.

For the Bar 3...

They are family...

They treat you like family...

You get a great match...

Enjoy great fellowship...

More fellowship and good food after Cowboy match, then PCC match.

You have the ability to bring your rig out and stay on range.

Tbone and Ellie Gant are gracious hosts:wub:

I look forward to hearing your replies...thoughts, and suggestions.

Screenshot_20211122-062814_Google.jpg

Oh...and Google is wrong...it is a full, FULL 13 hours pulling a trailer!!!

Farthest I've gone is Fandango, in lower Wisconsin. The handy dandy internet just told me it was 1267 miles. I went there in 01, 03, and 05. Used to go to Mule Camp every year, around Atlanta. That's about 350 miles.

We've drug the camper out to T-Bone's place twice.  774 miles each way. End of Trail in Indiana was about 700 miles.  Next year, we are going to Land Run.  According to Google, it's 909 miles each way.  We turn these little excursions into 3 week adventures.  One of the perks of being retired.  Most of our large shoots are in the Southeast and less than one days drive with the camper from the house.  

I have to ask....Why couldn't the heading for your thread be "How far are you willing to go for a match"?

I have never understood this thing of  posting a snippet of a post title. It seems to be very prevalent on this forum in particular.

1693 miles to Back At Cha and 1693 miles back home.  Counting a short stop in San Antonio to see the Alamo, it took us 11 days to travel there, shoot, and travel home towing the tumbleweed wagon.  Great match that I will do again if I get the chance.

600 miles to Ben Avery and 600 miles home for WR multiple times.

260 miles to Cajon or RR Bar and 260 miles home for a one-day trip to a monthly.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have to ask....Why couldn't the heading for your thread be "How far are you willing to go for a match"?

I have never understood this thing of  posting a snippet of a post title. It seems to be very prevalent on this forum in particular.

Just so you can ask that question!!!:rolleyes:

It makes one look!!! Curiosity .

That's how I roll!

Honestly...poor Shanley lives 'this' every.single.day.:wub:

I am fortunate that within a 2.5 hour drive I can shoot a match every Saturday and Sunday of the month if I wanted too. Within that drive there are at least 9 clubs.  

That said, for monthly matches about and hour and a half. Much more than that and I have to get up too early and get home too late. Another determining factor as to which matches I attend is how much fun I have at the match. All of the clubs I could shoot at put on a good match. However, some clubs are more fun than others. Seems like the smaller clubs are where I have the most fun so those are the one I attend routinely. One of the factors they all have in common is that a dozen or so of us always get together after the match to share a meal and good conversation.  

State level matches I have driven up to 700 miles so far and right now that is about the limit. When I retire in a few years the wife and I plan on buying a nice motor home and full timing it for a few years. One of our goals it to attend more state and regional matches while we are touring the country.

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I am fortunate that within a 2.5 hour drive I can shoot a match every Saturday and Sunday of the month if I wanted too. Within that drive there are at least 9 clubs.  

That said, for monthly matches about and hour and a half. Much more than that and I have to get up too early and get home too late. Another determining factor as to which matches I attend is how much fun I have at the match. All of the clubs I could shoot at put on a good match. However, some clubs are more fun than others. Seems like the smaller clubs are where I have the most fun so those are the one I attend routinely. One of the factors they all have in common is that a dozen or so of us always get together after the match to share a meal and good conversation.  

State level matches I have driven up to 700 miles so far and right now that is about the limit. When I retire in a few years the wife and I plan on buying a nice motor home and full timing it for a few years. One of our goals it to attend more state and regional matches while we are touring the country.

Exactly what info I was wanting to see. Thanks!!!

I used to go 200-250 miles for a one day shoot.  I stopped going to that state because the TG asked a local kid for an interpretation of a rule, I.e., TG was teaching RO2 but did not know the rules. That TG was for all practical purposes the TG for all clubs in the state.

after that I did go to a regional shoot 600 miles away, twice.

23 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I used to go 200-250 miles for a one day shoot.  I stopped going to that state because the TG asked a local kid for an interpretation of a rule, I.e., TG was teaching RO2 but did not know the rules. That TG was for all practical purposes the TG for all clubs in the state.

after that I did go to a regional shoot 600 miles away, twice.

Hope you will give a try somewhere you enjoy!

I'm thinking about Siege at Clarks Station  in Kansas for Classic Cowboy.About 750 miles each way.Hopefully gas won't go up too much.

Largo

Just now, largo casey #19191 said:

I'm thinking about Siege at Clarks Station  in Kansas for Classic Cowboy.About 750 miles each way.Hopefully gas won't go up too much.

Largo

Hope you do, Largo!

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Because "how far are you willing to go" posted by a female is a lot more interesting than shooting.

The furthest match I have been to was the Great Nor'Easter in New Hampshire.  A bit of a trip from Phoenix.  Been to Comin at Cha several times, Sparta, Guns of August, etc.  Sold my RV so now I am not as inclined to travel a great distance.

In years previous a drive of about 280 one way for an "away" monthly match was very "do-able". Sometimes a couple times a month. Got to see old friends, meet some new ones and have a good time just hanging out. Now days I can shoot one of 4 matches within 60-70 miles each weekend. But I am actually less likely to go with the shortages of ammo now than I would have been for one of the further drives in the past. Which makes me sad because I finally have the time but not so much the supplies.

Hopefully in the near future we will get back to somewhat normal and I will begin traveling a bit more and get to attend some of the fine matches I have heard/read/been told about.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

PS Sue, will catch up with you at the Rangers tent at EOT. Watch for me, I will be the one wearing a cowboy hat!:D

1 minute ago, largo casey #19191 said:

To bad we can't get a COLA for shooting supply's.

Largo

Coke, Pepsi or RC?

The nearest monthly match to me is about 45 miles, but, for a variety of reasons, I've been going to other monthlies 65, 95, and 115 miles away. The next closest after that is 150 miles and up. Even though I've been doing this most weekends since '92, I've never been to anything bigger than a few state matches in the western US.

I’ve gone as far as South Carolina,1400 miles, Kentucky, Tennessee , Pennsylvania and Michigan were closer 400 miles approximately as well as some clubs 4-5 hours south of right here in Ohio.
As I get older I pretty much stay in my home state.

3 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

In years previous a drive of about 280 one way for an "away" monthly match was very "do-able". Sometimes a couple times a month. Got to see old friends, meet some new ones and have a good time just hanging out. Now days I can shoot one of 4 matches within 60-70 miles each weekend. But I am actually less likely to go with the shortages of ammo now than I would have been for one of the further drives in the past. Which makes me sad because I finally have the time but not so much the supplies.

Hopefully in the near future we will get back to somewhat normal and I will begin traveling a bit more and get to attend some of the fine matches I have heard/read/been told about.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

PS Sue, will catch up with you at the Rangers tent at EOT. Watch for me, I will be the one wearing a cowboy hat!:D

Space #90... we should be home most night after 7pm untill WB starts.

1700 miles or more for a monthly match in Tombstone, AZ!  That’s not counting the miles from here to Woodinville, Wa, from there to San Diego, from there to Las Vegas, and a stop at Prescott Valley, AZ on the way.

Nashville to New Hampshire for the Nor’ Easter, Nashville to Yell County, AR to OK City to Lenexa, KS and back. Nashville to Sparta, IL to Morristown, MN an back home.  

I guess I’d drive ‘most any distance if the mood struck me.

Ok, for monthly's 2 1/2 hours each way is pretty much my limit I have done more but old age is creeping in.  Club annuals 4 or 5 hours each way is doable.  Major matches, well that has a lot of and's and If's.  Traveled to Bar - 3 this year 1600 miles each way probably won't do it again.  Going to Land Run this next year I'll see if it's worth the effort, that's about 1200 miles each direction.  It also may require me to not attend a very good match that's held just the week before so I'll see what Land Run does for me.  We go to Ben Avery every year its quite aways but we get to play and visit a lot.   We go down in January and get as far south as Casa Grande.  So, my little girl and I travel a lot and have a lot of fun and meet a lot of very nice people.  Cowboy action Rocks.

This last year has been hard because of the cancer and the VA screwing up the operations. Next year maybe hard as well because as a result of the mistakes in the cancer surgery I may lose my kidneys but that's down the road and we do have EOT and Land Run scheduled.  Sue if you read this Pat and I are in 95 hope to see you and Shanley, lots. 

Semper Fi

13 minutes ago, twelve mile REB said:

Ok, for monthly's 2 1/2 hours each way is pretty much my limit I have done more but old age is creeping in.  Club annuals 4 or 5 hours each way is doable.  Major matches, well that has a lot of and's and If's.  Traveled to Bar - 3 this year 1600 miles each way probably won't do it again.  Going to Land Run this next year I'll see if it's worth the effort, that's about 1200 miles each direction.  It also may require me to not attend a very good match that's held just the week before so I'll see what Land Run does for me.  We go to Ben Avery every year its quite aways but we get to play and visit a lot.   We go down in January and get as far south as Casa Grande.  So, my little girl and I travel a lot and have a lot of fun and meet a lot of very nice people.  Cowboy action Rocks.

This last year has been hard because of the cancer and the VA screwing up the operations. Next year maybe hard as well because as a result of the mistakes in the cancer surgery I may lose my kidneys but that's down the road and we do have EOT and Land Run scheduled.  Sue if you read this Pat and I are in 95 hope to see you and Shanley, lots. 

Semper Fi

Yeehaw!!!

Now, #95 at Clays Range???

I know you would have enjoyed CAC much more, had you been on range...but, I was SOOOOOOOO happy to see you both!!!

We are at the Clays range. be looking you up.  When are you arriving.

Archived