SASS Wire Forum

November 22, 1963

Okiepan

Will we ever know the truth of what really happened ? , I am sure some of y'all reading this remember where you were that day when you heard the news as to what happened in Dallas .

From what I have read and heard America was in mourning,

In seventh grade working on a project with others out of the classroom. One girl came in and said JFK was shot. We thought it was the start of a joke. Everyone had to go back to their classrooms. My teacher was a hardcore Democrat. As we all sat in silence, he walked to the front of the classroom and scribbled "JFK IS DEAD" on the blackboard and left the room crying.

2 hours ago, Okiepan said:

Will we ever know the truth of what really happened ? , I am sure some of y'all reading this remember where you were that day when you heard the news as to what happened in Dallas .

From what I have read and heard America was in mourning,

I don't remember has I had not yet been conceived.

As to knowing if what we have been told so to date is the entire truth, a partial truth or a complete fabrication?  Maybe, but not for at least a couple of more decades.

I was 16 in 10th grade Printing class, the announcement came over the PS system and told us the President was shot and killed. We were allowed to go home of we wanted. I went home and watched the news on TV with my mom. My mom was crying.

I also saw the live shooting of Oswald by Jack Ruby, I believe it was the next day when they were transferring him to another jail or the courthouse I don't remember.

I was an a 20 year old clerk, just starting my career with the City.

I was a month shy of being 1 year old.

I do know I that I 'knew' about the shooting at a very young age.

The news made sure you remembered...every year it was a focus story.

I imagine there are many that don't understand the event, or why it impacted the country so much. So many things that our country rallied around, comforted each other and stood behind each other...

And look at us now.

Sad.

Thank you for reminding me of a part history.

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I was 3 at the time and all I remember is them cancelling cartoons on Saturday morning.  They did the same thing a few years later when MLK was killed.  

Maybe that is why  I remember it. Losing cartoons on a Saturday morning is a big deal to  a little kid.

I am not writing this  to be disparaging. That was a  terrible event for our country at the time. I am looking at it as why as a toddler I remember it.

21 years old, a college student working in a local grocery store stocking shelves when the manager got on the PA system and told everyone to listen to the broadcast, then turned it on.

There was a mixture of crying and outrage.  Within ten minutes the owner, An LDS Bishop, came in and we had an impromtu prayer circle with customers and employees and a couple of deliverymen all joining in.

We stayed open so people could get their shopping done and on the way home I saw flags at half mast everywhere and people standing on the streets and in their yards talking to one another.

I remember getting home and seeing my parents crying, the only time I ever saw my Dad with tears in his eyes.

Overall I remember the silence all over the valley.  Little traffic, no loud voices, no music, no noise at all.

I was 3 years old. I don't have any memory of the shooting or the funeral at all. Curiously, I distinctly remember the constant sonic booms during the Cuban Missile Crisis as I was in (still am) Florida. I didn't know why the booms were happening, I guess childhood bliss is a good thing.

1st grade.  Mother Madeline, the principal, came into the classroom, stood at the door, and said, "The President has been shot.  There will be a rosary said in the church in 15 minutes."  And we all went to the church, prayed the rosary, listened to a short sermon, and were dismissed for the day.

3rd grade Minatare, Ne. playing football at lunch break. We were called back in to the cafeteria and were told about it and sent home. I remember watching Oswald being shot on live tv and the funeral procession through DC.

My parents hadn't even met yet when it happened. My earliest "where were you" recollection was when Mt. St. Helens erupted (was outside playing with friends) and the second was when the shuttle Challenger exploded (in class in high school). Third of course was 9/11 (in bed sleeping, awoke to a phone call from mom).

Sad to think that for all of us our lives are punctuated by horrible events.

I was in high school didn't believe it at first, cheered when Ruby saved us all the red tape.

I was working on a drilling rig in West Texas. When the crew that relieved us got there , one of the guys said "Did you hear that Kennedy got Shot". One of our crew said , "No, tell it to us."

We also thought it was the lead-in to a joke. When they told us it was for real , the shock was surreal.

I was 21 years old.

Rex :FlagAm:

I was 14. 

No one will ever convince me that a used, mail-order, Italian bolt-action rifle, in that caliber, with a loose scope, could make shots like that, with the target moving not only away, but away, down, and diagonally. 

I have been to the location of that shooting in Dallas, many times, over the years, and it is just not feasible to make those kinds of accurate hits, with a rifle like that. Maybe...just maybe, it could have been done with a semi-automatic rifle. Maybe. With an old mail-order bolt-action rifle, with a loose fitting scope? The odds are too great.   

One man, from that vantage point, with that rifle, with that loose scope??? 

Maybe the first shot could have hit someone, but the successive rapid shots, and being that accurate? I just do not buy that explanation. 

For me, happenstance, and luck, and chance, may happen once, in a certain scenario, but in rapid succession?

The Secret Service will never live that failure down...nor should they. 

Somewhere, around the house, I have a local newspaper, that I saved from that day. 

Archived