SASS Wire Forum

.38 S&B Brass......I know what they S&B stand for now

Buckshot Bear

Son of a B#$%@    ........ you can't get primers back in unprimed brass.

I have a Dillon primer pocket swager, I haven't had to use it for over 15 years, its set up for 9mm crimped rounds and I don't want to use it.

Anyone else found this with S&B brass?

6 minutes ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

It gets better; there is some SoB brass which is Berdan primed...

No Cheers,

FJT

Well of course, how else would you make a reloading session exciting? 

Very common problem with Sellier and Belloit brass.  For many years we have talked about the small pockets.  I have used my Dillon primer pocket swager to knock the pocket up to standard diameter, and the brass runs well after doing that,    Federals go in easier than any other American primer, I found, too.   It's actually  usable brass once the pocket is right.

But if you toss it for scrap, won't hurt my feelings.

BTW - S&B .45 auto brass also has smallish pockets.

good luck, GJ

Had my 11 year old grandson for the last couple of hours using the Dillon swager, he made a game out of it, hitting the lever up that holds the shell and sailing them through the air into a bucket a fair way away.....he was getting a good hit rate into the bucket. He'll be back after school tomorrow to keep going with them :) 

A friend of my in the Air Force once gave me 5 shotbags full of once fired .38 Special military brass.  For free.

Yes, you gotta swage the pockets.   But it was free brass, and it works just fine.   I wouldn't throw the S&B away.  If you don't want it, I am sure someone would be willing to make use of it.

10 hours ago, Frederick Jackson Turner said:

It gets better; there is some SoB brass which is Berdan primed...

No Cheers,

FJT

Yeah I just put those in the “melt down for accordion parts” bin :lol:

Kajun

Those and Herters brass have the tightest pockets around. I can always tell when its one of those in the priming position. I always still manage to set a primer in then though.

Archived