SASS Wire Forum

Red dot vs Clay dot

The Revenuer

I’m just getting started reloading shotgun shells.   I got a good

recipe from a local club member using red dot powder but I am struggling to find it without over paying.   I did come across a good deal on clay dot.   Anybody have a recommend load using clay dot for 12 gauge?

4 minutes ago, The Revenuer said:

recipe from a local club member using red dot powder but I am struggling to find it without over paying.   I did come across a good deal on clay dot.   Anybody have a recommend load using clay dot for 12 gauge?

If you are loading for CAS grab the clay dot.  If you are loading for skeet and field, grab the red dot.

Clay Dot loads to same weight as Clays recipes in 12 gauge shotshells.    Used the Claybuster gray (CB0178-12)  for thousands of 7/8 ounce loads, and with pink (CB0175-12) wads I've loaded a ton of 3/4 ounce cowboy loads with 14 to 15 grains of Clay Dot. I myself "recommend" it.  No published data recommends it as far as I know.

Clay Dot is really pretty flexible, just as Red Dot is.    The Clay Dot sounds like your bargain buy right now.  I would not hesitate a minute more!

I've used Clay Dot in sporting clays loads.  Nothing that I found says it won't work for any of the target sports. 

good luck, GJ

9 hours ago, The Revenuer said:

I load on a MEC 650 and use a 27 powder bushing and a 7/8oz. load. I have used Clays, Red Dot and Clay Dot with this setup and really haven’t seen any noticeable difference. I’d say get it and use it!

Randy

Clays or clay dot is almost the same in use with red dot (Not interchangeable on load data).  Use clays load data.  You will probably find any load that worked with red dot has a similar load in clays.  3/4 oz, 7/8, 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz all work with red dot or clays.   I have used several kegs of both for 7/8 shotgun loads. 

Archived