SASS Wire Forum

Relining Rifle Barrel

Dusty Morningwood

I am looking for recommendations for a smith who can reline a Winchester High Wall from its current .45-120 to something like .40-70 SS or .38-55.  Since the rifle is a total restoration already, and was originally .38-56, this seems a reasonable option.

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What about .45-70?

OLG 

I could shoot .45-70 out of it now, but I think it would erode the chamber throat that has an additional 1" before rifling.

Just now, Dusty Morningwood said:

I could shoot .45-70 out of it now, but I think it would erode the chamber throat that has an additional 1" before rifling.

You do not want to shoot .45-70 out of it now. Total waste! 

OLG 

21 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You do not want to shoot .45-70 out of it now. Total waste! 

OLG 

Agreed.

When I was shooting N-SSA and needed a barrel relined most of us sent our guns to Bob Hoyt in PA.  I never had a bad job done by him.  His phone is 717 642-6696

18 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

When I was shooting N-SSA and needed a barrel relined most of us sent our guns to Bob Hoyt in PA.  I never had a bad job done by him.  His phone is 717 642-6696

I have used Hoyt for several muzzleloaders and had him rifle a couple of rolling block shotguns.  Did not know he did this kind of work.  Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Dusty Morningwood said:

I have used Hoyt for several muzzleloaders and had him rifle a couple of rolling block shotguns.  Did not know he did this kind of work.  Thanks!

I know that he has relined 1860 Henry rifles I assume that yours would be about the same.  You will have to call him and find out.   BTW he may be away for hunting season.

26 minutes ago, Seven Ways to Sundown Jones said:

Black Powder or that new fangled powder ?  had an old No.1 Rolling Block that I first used in BPCR sillouete .   Shot 45/70 for a long time.  Then decided to really clean it .   after several patches and bronze brushes it came out with a clean patch. Low and behold it was a 45/90 that had powder fowling in the chamber.  the throat did not erode, just got full of burned powder.   use a blowtube to keep fowling soft, shoot BP, and enjoy it as is.  YMMV

I would never sully any of my BPCRs with heathen smokeless!  I do have some .45-120 brass inbound, so I may try reducing down to .45-90 loads with addl. wad and grease cookie.

29 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I know that he has relined 1860 Henry rifles I assume that yours would be about the same.  You will have to call him and find out.   BTW he may be away for hunting season.

Probably require less work for a High Wall.  He was hunting in September when I sent him a muzzleloader.  I should be so lucky.

3 hours ago, Dusty Morningwood said:

something like .40-70 SS

We have a shooter who shoots BPCR with a 40-70. The brass is no where to be found. He had to have brass made by a company who makes custom brass for old calibers..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  Some form it out of 405 Winchester??? but rim thickness is an issue.

47 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

We have a shooter who shoots BPCR with a 40-70. The brass is no where to be found. He had to have brass made by a company who makes custom brass for old calibers..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  Some form it out of 405 Winchester??? but rim thickness is an issue.

Hmmmm? That is a consideration. I used to make brass for a European cartridge close to .38-55 from .30-30. Maybe .38-55 is the answer.

1 minute ago, Kid Rich said:

If that was still 38-56 I would try to buy it from you in a heartbeat.

kR

Sadly, it is coming to me in its new chambering.

Archived