SASS Wire Forum

Be with them 'til the end.

I’ve had vets want to set up the IV without me in the room and then calling me for the final moment. No way did I allow that. I was told it was too traumatic for many owners if the pet struggled.

It’s my responsibility to comfort them from beginning to end. I can’t imagine not being there.

I sat on the floor with Buddy until he was gone.  I know that he went peacefully.  Hardest thing that I ever did, but glad that I was with him until the end.

My pard.  I owe ‘em that and much, much more.

Chinook was a rare breed, he loved his kids.  Protect and love was his creed.  A German Shepard by breeding a policeman by training, a nanny by providence.  He didn't like cars and so any patrol could take him home.  DJ was five and the twins were on the way he bonded with those kids.  At the end DJ had to hold him for the Vet to even get into the room.  It took three shots to get him while being held in DJ's arms a senior in high school and the tough starting defensive end with the tears running down his cheeks.  We all think he was trying to protect DJ from the needle was why it took so much to put him under.  Damn good dog and a damn good friend.  The screen is blurry now; good day  

37 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

FB_IMG_1637628119793.jpg

Yes

Just went thru this today with my Mom helping her friend of 14 years cross over. 

I have held all of our dogs and cats had a couple vets not want me to, but they got the message.  Our current vet is great and has never had a problem either during exams or putting a dog to sleep, having me hold them.  In August had to put one of the two sisters to sleep three days before her 16th birthday and e actually cried as he was injecting her.,  Tonight I am  sitting here now holding her sister as she sleeps preping my head for next Monday.  Sad days, this is the last puppy of that litter and she is the one who crawled into my legs and fell asleep shortly after being born.  She chose her human and has been the best beast ever. 

When Vesla, our cat of 19 years had to be put to sleep, I held her while the Vet gave her the shot.

There were only one dog that I & the wife didn't watch when the vet sent them to a better place.  It was our 1st dog a small German Shepard female who was my kids guardian.  We felt we couldn't bring ourselves to see her pass; so, a close friend took her to the vet.  The most emotional experience was when we had to say goodby to our 1st Golden, 120lb alpha male when he developed bone caner in a front leg.  It took several injections for him to pass.  The wife said no more dogs which took a year for her to break down & let me get another Golden male puppy.  At a local gymkhana a family brought their female & her litter.  We left with their contact information.  My wife & I discussed it that evening & called to make an appointment to select a puppy.  We picked the male that piked us.  Their kids had given the puppies Pilgrim themed names since they were born on Thanksgiving he name was Chief which he kept for his lifetime.  He was the "Best of the Best" dog we ever had.  Unfortunately he left us too early at 10 when he had a bleeding spleen.  We didn't get to say goodby because we said we see him tomorrow after surgery & overnight recovery.  The vet called after the surgery to tell use he made it through.  However 1 hour later I got a call from the vet saying that Chief had expired.  That was 2 years ago.  My wife & I still think that if we had contacted the vet 2 days before when he required adding bacon grease to his kibble to get him to eat he'd still be here today.

I take all our animals for the long walk, and stay with them all the way.
The only exception was my pair of chincillas because they sedate them with gas before the injection.
Both the boys loved girls, so they were in good hands.

Flynn was 19 when I took him for the long walk.
He took it like a man... nary a peep or whimper on the drive or in the vet's office, nor the insertion of the needle.
I did not fare so strongly.

Salty-dog, helping her Mama nap.
I sat on the floor with her at the vet's.

The brain tumor triggered seizures and took her eyesight: the vet told us she'd let us know when it was time, and that was it.

She took her last breath with my hand on her -- she was on a cushioned dog bed -- she looked at me in her last moment, and in her dark eyes I saw thanks.

I'm sorry.

I cried then and it's happening now.

Salty Nappenpuppet.jpg

I took my cat in to the vets in April. I didn't know that was his last ride. He was in my arms until his last breath. We had only had him for 6 or 7 years but got him from a friend of my sister-in-law. His previous person was moving and couldn't take him. It took him about a week to adjust but he took to me like we had had him for many years. This is the last pic I took just waiting to get into the vet for what I thought was something routine. He rode to the vets out of the cage but they like to have them in the cage so I put him in just before they came out to bring him in to examine. 

0414211413-01.jpg

I've held and cried with every one. The final look they give you, I like to think of as a "Thanks for being with me". Blurry now!

On 11/21/2021 at 7:30 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I can't even see the screen now.....

OLG 

Yeah, my screen went a little blurry too, for some reason...

On 11/23/2021 at 9:22 PM, J.D. Daily said:

My wife & I still think that if we had contacted the vet 2 days before when he required adding bacon grease to his kibble to get him to eat he'd still be here today.

Try not to blame yourselves. We make the best decision we can at the moment. Been there too many times and still think back wondering if I could have done something different.

It was 10 years ago I had to take my cat, Bailey to the vet for his journey over the rainbow bridge. I stayed with him to the end, holding him and crying like a small child. To this day I hate driving by the vet's office where I took him.

Now that our rescue dog, Buster, who is our furry little boy is 12 years old, Barb and I are already preparing ourselves for that final day, although we are hoping for a few more years. I love the idea of the vet coming to our home for Buster's rainbow bridge journey. It is Buster's home just as much as it is ours and I think it would be much more relaxing for him and for us. I am going to look into finding a service that comes to our home.

I have been reading the other posts about everyone's furry kids who have crossed over the rainbow bridge and I find my eyes tearing up as I read each one. God bless all of you who love their companions enough to be with them when they take that final journey. It's a hard thing to do but it's our way of returning the love that we all experienced while they were alive.

Love....The proof that God exists.

Love never goes out into the void, and disappears. 

Love is never given in vain...unless you are an unbeliever. If nothing more than this life exists, then all we do, and feel, and achieve, and love, is for nothing.  

But, the truth is:...Love endures, and is never given in vain. 

As in the poignant picture, at the beginning of this thread, even the higher animals are capable of showing love. 

We have never let them go by themselves, they have always been part of our family.

I don't think I could do that . . . I just couldn't. 

They're our spirit children . . . .

I have avoided the walk this thread brought me to make.  Last night I walked out to where our various pets from the last 46 years lay in peace. They are the only reason we have not sold this house and moved away.  I can not bear bringing the dogs and cats back into the sun (over 30 graves) so that the developers who would take over would not find and abuse they bodies of loved members of the family.  I do not know how much longer we can hold out with skyrocketing real estate prices in our neighborhood and the property taxes that go with that.  Our property taxes have almost tripled in the last 8 years and even though I fight the appraisals every year and do well, it can not last.  A house down the street on a 1/3 acre lot like ours just sold for 1.2 million. We paid 18K in 1974 for this place and it will be torn down and 3 family two or three story houses built on the 1/3 acre.    I know nothing lasts forever. Now into my 70's, I dread what I know I will have to do in the next year. I also know I owe those family members the protection and safety they relied on me for.  My loved dogs and cats who slept piled on me or around me, who only gave me their love without question deserve their eternal peace and I will provide.

Archived