SASS Wire Forum

66 or 73 in .22?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I have a choice to make.   I have a line on both an Uberti 66 in .22LR and an Uberti 73 in .22LR.

I'm gonna get one or the other, but I can't make up my mind as to which one I want.   So, let me explain the following "scenarios" and see which one makes more sense.

Scenario 1.   Uberti 66 .22
                       Uberti 66 .44-40
                       Uberti 76 (To be obtained later)

Scenario 2.  Uberti 66 .22

Uberti Henry .44-40

Uberti 76  (To be obtained later)

Scenario 3.  Uberti 73 .22
                       Winchester 73 .32-20

Wild Card(s)  If I can find a Winchester 76 for an affordable price, I can get one of those instead of an Uberti.

If anyone ever markets a 73 style Mare's Leg, that'll factor in.

So would a Henry style Mare's Leg, or a reproduction Volcanic. 

(Not really waiting for those last 2, just expressing wishful thinking.)

So anyway...    Which scenario makes the most sense to people?   For one thing the Uberti "66" is a lot more like a Henry than a 66 based on how you load it.  But then again, so is the 73.

Of course, I really could just get both of them...  :)

Suggestions wanted.

The only comment I will make is that I wish I had bought one about 10 years ago when I had the chance.

OK, another comment.  They are going to be heavy because there will be a lot of metal in the barrel.  I bought a '73 in 32-20 and it is very front heavy.  In all likelihood, the '66, because of the heavier receiver, will likely balance better.  I would suggest that you try before you buy.

OK, last comment, I promise.  Buy them both!  B)

Know folks who have the .22 Uberti's (both styles) - they stress JUST HOW HEAVY those are.  They don't shoot them much because of the weight.

good luck, GJ

I have a 66 in .22. It is VERY heavy. I bought it in case I ever had grandkids near me. My wife feels it is not a kid's gun because of the weight. That said, I think the 73 make more sense because I think they were actually offered in .22 and I don't remember if the 66 was.

Uberti made '66 and '73 models in 22LR, I have one of each.

They are heavy, at least compared to a Henry or a Marlin.

My '73 is a trapper with 16" barrel, not too bad.

The '66 is carbine, 19" IIRC, noticeably heavier than the '73.

Both are pretty accurate.

I use to have an Uberti '66 in 22..... As said already, it was HEAVY and IMHO Not fun to shoot, I sold it!

When did Uberti make a '73 in 22 ? I've never seen one....

They do make a nice little 22 Scout... I've heard they are pretty nice, never shot one though.

The 22 lever gun that IS Really Fun to Shoot is a "soft stroked" Henry... They are a BLAST !!

I have one like this'un.......... I shoot it every chance I get.

H004S-Golden-Boy-Silver-hero-1-scaled.thumb.jpg.03b8e7177726d31450a15b736239927b.jpg

i prefer the 66 but i dont have either in 22 cal , i have the henrys and the marlins and the winchesters most will mention - missing the browning , but i would love to find either the 66 or 73 you mention just to have them , i doubt you will go wrong either way but i would prefer to have the one i shoot as my main match center fire if i had to choose - i shoot my 66 mostly , the 73 has been my backup 

I have Winchester 22 .

Marlin 22 .

5 Henry  22.

I always loved the look of the 66 22 

But they are so heavy.

The Golden Boy filled it's spot with No regrets.

Rooster

I have a 66 uberti carbine in 22 and have been looking for a uberti 73 in .22 for a long time.  The 73s are a lot harder to find and I would grab that over the 66 if it were between the two.   Winchester actually made a 73 in .22, no such 66. The 73 is rarer and probably worth a bit more than the 66. 

I cover all the options you mention except for the 73 in .22.  

On 11/20/2021 at 6:54 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I have a choice to make.   I have a line on both an Uberti 66 in .22LR and an Uberti 73 in .22LR.

I'm gonna get one or the other, but I can't make up my mind as to which one I want.   So, let me explain the following "scenarios" and see which one makes more sense.

Scenario 1.   Uberti 66 .22
                       Uberti 66 .44-40
                       Uberti 76 (To be obtained later)

Scenario 2.  Uberti 66 .22

Uberti Henry .44-40

Scenario 3.  Uberti 73 .22
                       Winchester 73 .32-20

Wild Card(s)  If I can find a Winchester 76 for an affordable price, I can get one of those instead of an Uberti.

If anyone ever markets a 73 style Mare's Leg, that'll factor in.

So would a Henry style Mare's Leg, or a reproduction Volcanic. 

(Not really waiting for those last 2, just expressing wishful thinking.)

So anyway...    Which scenario makes the most sense to people?   For one thing the Uberti "66" is a lot more like a Henry than a 66 based on how you load it.  But then again, so is the 73.

Of course, I really could just get both of them...  :)

Suggestions wanted.

You missed out on Smokedawg’s 1876 that I picked up from him!  It is my oldest firearm to date second only to the 1887 12 gauge I purchased 2 years ago. I have been watching for one and an 1895 on Gunbroker. I spent 1700 and consider myself lucky!  Good Luck on your search. 

Archived