SASS Wire Forum

One of the advantages of .32-20

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Your steel targets will last forever.

The 32WCF is not necessarily a wimp. The case capacity is more than the 32 H&R Magnum.  Maybe close to 38 Special.  With bullets from 87g to 115g, it overlaps the 38 Special.   I've shot 32WCF with black powder loads and 100g bullets that when fired at rifle targets set at about 40 yards, they go, "POW! Clang", where guys with mouse phart 38 loads go, "Putt.... (wait for it) ... dink". 

But you're right. It's not going to knock targets over or put dents in them.

Out of rifles, .32-20 is a fairly quiet round.  

Out of pistols, it is the most efficient round for converting gunpowder to noise.   Curiously, my 7.5" Colt is somehow louder than either my 5.5 of 4-3/4" barreled ones.   I don't get it, but that's the way it is.  :)

6 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Out of rifles, .32-20 is a fairly quiet round.  

Out of pistols, it is the most efficient round for converting gunpowder to noise.   Curiously, my 7.5" Colt is somehow louder than either my 5.5 of 4-3/4" barreled ones.   I don't get it, but that's the way it is.  :)

For various reason, the 32/20 and 30 carbine all seem louder than needed when fired out of a handgun.  

When PawPaw was running whiskey years ago he carried a S&W 32-20 loaded with factory jacketed ammo marked use only in rifles or Guns in good condition. I bet they were hotter loaded than 38 specials were! Those guys knew what they had

Archived