SASS Wire Forum

Colt Lightning revolver vs Cimarron Firearms Lightning

Cholla

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Okay....

Can you compare the Colt SAA to the Ruger?   Are they similar enough that it is logical to compare them, or are they so different that doing a comparison is pointless.

Or...

Can you compare the Colt SAA to the Remington 1875?   There are a lot of similarities that would make people want to compare them.  Or are they just too different so that comparing them makes no sense?

Or...

Can you compare the USFA Omni Potent to the Colt 1878?   They clearly look similar, but the USFA is not a SA only version of the 78, it's an SAA made to resemble the 78, so comparing them is silly.

The Cimarron Lightning is not an SA only version of the Colt Lightning.   It is a scaled down SAA made to somewhat resemble the Colt Lightning.  If the above three comparisons make no sense, then comparing these two pistols makes no sense.  But if the top three comparisons are logical ones to make, then comparing the two pistols known as the Lightning is also a logical one to make.

No...

Ruger didn't call their SA Revolver a Single Action Army...

Remington didn't call their SA Revolver a Single Action Army...or a Peacemaker...or...Model P...or anything else "Colt".

USFA didn't call their...you get the drift...maybe...

Comparing something to another is different than hijacking a name with minimal and non-critical similarities. Take away the silly attempt at copying the grip frame and all you have is a scaled down 1873 Clone...oy...

And do you think that they actually designed the scaled down version to specifically market their "Lightning"??? Puuuuulease.

Phantom

It's not about the names.   It's about how the pistols themselves are similar, and how they are different.

To say that you can't compare different pistols to each other to see what they have in common and/or how they differ is bizarre to me.

Sure, I don't see much point comparing, say, a S&W New Model 3 to a Russian Nagant.   Those are so radically different that there's really not much to compare.

On the other hand, the various Model 3's have a lot in common with each other, a lot of differences, and yep, some portions of the Merwin & Hulbert, while very different overall, have interchangable parts in the lockwork.

The whole point of the original post is that these two pistols have enough in common visually as to invite comparison.

"But they're different, so you can't compare them."

Wow...  

16 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

It's not about the names.   It's about how the pistols themselves are similar, and how they are different.

Oh...I don't know...Frame...Action...you know, little things.

Boy I'll tell ya, some of y'all sure take this Fantasy aspect of our game to the extremes.

Phantom

On 11/20/2021 at 6:32 AM, MBFields said:

Maybe an illusion but it looks like the cimarron cylinder is a hair thicker. In the pic the colt looks really thin at the outside edge.

Uberti/Cimarron SAA cylinders are indeed thicker than Colt's. That was one of the first things I noticed years ago when I bought my first Cimarron.

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

If I'm not mistaken, Ferdinand Porsche DESIGNED the VW.

Yeah...so...?

And "Ford" designed the GT and the Edsel...but please, let's not try and say they are comparable.

5 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh...I don't know...Frame...Action...you know, little things.

Boy I'll tell ya, some of y'all sure take this Fantasy aspect of our game to the extremes.

Phantom

Uhm...  

I have said from the beginning the beginning that the whole point of the comparison is to examine how they are different just as much as it is to look at the similarities.   I have specifically said that the frame and action are different.

31 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Uhm...  

I have said from the beginning the beginning that the whole point of the comparison is to examine how they are different just as much as it is to look at the similarities.   I have specifically said that the frame and action are different.

Aaaand...that's kinda important considering Cimarron is calling it a Lightning...and Thunderer.

Frankly, I think whole discussion is silly. I can see why someone would want to buy one because they think they look cool and all...but ya gotta stop lying to yerself with this comparison with the actual Lightning/Thunderer.

Phantom

Archived