SASS Wire Forum

Colt Lightning revolver vs Cimarron Firearms Lightning

Cholla

Some have been asking how close they are. I brought my original Colt 1877 to Winter Range last year and compared. The Cimarron is close, but not exact. The Cimarron version is also SA only.

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

Maybe an illusion but it looks like the cimarron cylinder is a hair thicker. In the pic the colt looks really thin at the outside edge.

I've also got a couple of Colt Lightnings.   One is a Sheriff's model like yours, but I've also got a "regular" one with a longer barrel and an ejector.   Here's some some pics.

304040767_LightningRight.thumb.JPG.a4776639b30089f88ca4adff4bcf26d7.JPG746211727_LightningLeft.thumb.JPG.f6002eff1eeb5c20af0578dede7bc37e.JPG2040044700_LightningEjector.thumb.JPG.e3e4a598ddf14fd5ac35805126a02890.JPG

I note how the Cimarron is closer to this than the Sheriff's model.   Cylinder pin is the same, for example.   But there are still differences, like the bullseye ejector on the original and the other obvious ones.  What caliber is the Cimarron in?

(We really need a "frontier DA" side match.)

18 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I've also got a couple of Colt Lightnings.   One is a Sheriff's model like yours, but I've also got a "regular" one with a longer barrel and an ejector.   Here's some some pics.

304040767_LightningRight.thumb.JPG.a4776639b30089f88ca4adff4bcf26d7.JPG746211727_LightningLeft.thumb.JPG.f6002eff1eeb5c20af0578dede7bc37e.JPG2040044700_LightningEjector.thumb.JPG.e3e4a598ddf14fd5ac35805126a02890.JPG

I note how the Cimarron is closer to this than the Sheriff's model.   Cylinder pin is the same, for example.   But there are still differences, like the bullseye ejector on the original and the other obvious ones.  What caliber is the Cimarron in?

(We really need a "frontier DA" side match.)

.38 Colt/.38 S&W Special for this one. They also offer, when in stock, a .41 Colt version.

I am curious what year your lightning was made and if you have lettered it. If you look at the production numbers you will see a spike from 1900-1905 which with the help of some Colt historians have attributed to it being offered as a premium prize for Continental Tobacco and it's many umbrella companies. The guns were often distributed through the Floradora Prize Company. If your Colt was made in those years there is roughly a 75% chance it was a tobacco gun. It took 1500-1800 tobacco tags to get one. A tag was a metal emblem used to authenticate each twist of branded tobacco as counterfeit branded tobacco was common, much like fake Nike shoes from China these days.

27117401_4.jpg

Mike Short Colt.JPG

27 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Two totally different guns!

NCOWS does not allow the use of the Cimarron Lightning exactly for this reason. It is Lightning-like, but not an exact replica.

9 minutes ago, Cholla said:

NCOWS does not allow the use of the Cimarron Lightning exactly for this reason. It is Lightning-like, but not an exact replica.

Who the heck is NCOWS?? :lol::P

14 minutes ago, Cholla said:

And yet they allow real Lightnings.   Or at least they used to.

NCOWS is the National Congress of Old West Shooters.   It is a CAS club that is more historical reenacting than fantasy like SASS is.   You have to prove that what you are shooting and wearing existed back in the day.  A reading of their rules shows that they are quite strict on this point.

But beyond that, it seems like their stage scenarios are pretty similar to ours.

21 minutes ago, Cholla said:

.38 Colt/.38 S&W Special for this one. They also offer, when in stock, a .41 Colt version.

I am curious what year your lightning was made and if you have lettered it.

Mine was made in 1903.   My Sheriff's model was 1887.  Of curiosity is how the old one clearly has a .375 bore, but the newer on has a .357.  That's why I use .358" hollow base bullets for this .38 Long Colt.   I have other guns with both the larger and smaller bores.

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm embarrassed...

The Cimarron revolver is nothing more than a 1873 with a different grip frame...that's like calling a  Karmann Ghia a Porsche.

Oy...

Phantom

Well, sort of.  What you described is a Thunderer.  The Lightning/P-Jr (Stallion) is smaller frame.  And a vintage Karmann Ghia is worth a lot. :)

10 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Well, sort of.  What you described is a Thunderer.  The Lightning/P-Jr (Stallion) is smaller frame.  And a vintage Karmann Ghia is worth a lot. :)

Yeah...I was just trying to keep my argument/position simple...don't like long posts :P

And a Karmann Ghia is worth a fair amount...nothing close to a similar condition Porsche (excluding a couple models made with European truck engines).

Bottom line, they are completely different firearms and it's silly to compare them.

;)

13 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

They'er the group that still sends out a printed news letter and whose dues are 40% less. ;)

Well...we do live for printed newsletters...and saving 7 gallons of gas money per year.

:wacko:

The action of the Cimarron Lightning is indeed pretty much the same as the SAA.   Original Lightings had a very different system, far beyond just being double action.   In fact, you could make the point that the Cimarron gun is just a scaled down SAA with Lightning style grips.

BUT, just as the USFA Omnipotent was made to resemble the Colt 1878, the Cimarron Lightning was made to make you think of the Colt 1877, or Lightning as we call it.  Comparing them is a legitimate thing to do, because while one is not a copy of the other, or even just an SA only version of the original, there are deliberate similarities.   Comparing them is a logical thing to do.

6 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I'm embarrassed...

The Cimarron revolver is nothing more than a 1873 with a different grip frame...that's like calling a  Karmann Ghia a Porsche.

Oy...

Phantom

If I were designing the grip frame even for a 1873 - I would have at least put the little dip and flourish above the trigger guard for looks.

At least cosmetically made it look more alike.

And my 914 took enough flak about being a Volkswagen and being called a Porsche - let alone calling a Karmann Ghia one.

5 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

If I were designing the grip frame even for a 1873 - I would have at least put the little dip and flourish above the trigger guard for looks.

At least cosmetically made it look more alike.

And my 914 took enough flak about being a Volkswagen and being called a Porsche - let alone calling a Karmann Ghia one.

Hey!

The 914 is an awesome car! Very well balanced and super fun to drive. While I'm primarily a 911 guy (air cooled please), some of the most fun I've had driving Porsches was in a 914! Now ya wanna have a LOT of fun? Drive a 914-6!

Phantom

PS: I agree with your cosmetic comment.

31 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Comparing them is a logical thing to do.

Let me correct your statement as you obviously made an error.

"Comparing them is an illogical thing to do."

There, much better!

Phantom

6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Let me correct your statement as you obviously made an error.

"Comparing them is an illogical thing to do."

There, much better!

Phantom

You are mistaken.   I did not make an error.   You just don't agree with my conclusions.  Learn the difference.

10 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Hey!

The 914 is an awesome car! Very well balanced and super fun to drive. While I'm primarily a 911 guy (air cooled please), some of the most fun I've had driving Porsches was in a 914! Now ya wanna have a LOT of fun? Drive a 914-6!

Phantom

PS: I agree with your cosmetic comment.

My 914 was a rust bucket of the highest order - but it was perhaps the best balanced street car I have ever driven.

And because it was woefully under powered - you could have a blast with it at less than "Go Directly To Jail - Do Not Pass Go" speeds.

I never drove a 914-6. 

I did drive a 350 Chevy 914 conversion - interesting to say the least.

I am part owner of a custom shop out at the speedway here in Las Vegas, and we build some monsters - but the 914 was fun in a way that few cars are today.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

You are mistaken.   I did not make an error.   You just don't agree with my conclusions.  Learn the difference.

Oh...wow.

How embarrassing.

59 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I am part owner of a custom shop out at the speedway here in Las Vegas, and we build some monsters

We need to talk!

;)

Cimarron Firearms is the one making the comparison. People read this and think they are the same. They are not. Some with smaller hands prefer them. I was thinking the .41 Colt version would be nice for Classic Cowboy but it appears they are no longer being offered.

image.png.d9552ca2a467dd6b5df92b837a5ff103.png

11 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Cimarron Firearms is the one making the comparison.

Yeah...well that's Cimarron for ya.

Don't know which is more embarrassing. Saying they are "Designed along the lines...", or believing it.

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yeah...well that's Cimarron for ya.

Don't know which is more embarrassing. Saying they are "Designed along the lines...", or believing it.

:rolleyes:

Simple grammar.

"Along the lines" means similar to or evocative of, not the same as.

Everyone knows they are not the same thing.

11 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Simple grammar.

"Along the lines" means similar to or evocative of, not the same as.

Everyone knows they are not the same thing.

Designed along the lines...

Simple grammar :lol:

"Not the same thing"...how's about "not even close to the same thing".

It's a crock and shamefully poor marketing.

Phantom

4 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Designed along the lines...

Simple grammar :lol:

"Not the same thing"...how's about "not even close to the same thing".

It's a crock and shamefully poor marketing.

Phantom

Actually, it is kinda close.  Just not exact.   Unless you are blind you can SEE that it is meant to be reminiscent of the old Colt Lightning.   Not exactly the same, but nobody ever said it was.

I don't see any pottery in that reality.

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Actually, it is kinda close.  Just not exact.   Unless you are blind you can SEE that it is meant to be reminiscent of the old Colt Lightning.   Not exactly the same, but nobody ever said it was.

I don't see any pottery in that reality.

Yer right...there's a barrel...a cylinder...and a grip frame that kinda looks like a Lightning grip frame...:lol:...I'm sorry, I just started laughing. 

What else are the similarities?

:lol:

Sorry again...

I hope this thread goes on forever.

4 hours ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

I too have made the comparison in the past.

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/302254-lightning-revolver/

I think you did it better.

Okay....

Can you compare the Colt SAA to the Ruger?   Are they similar enough that it is logical to compare them, or are they so different that doing a comparison is pointless.

Or...

Can you compare the Colt SAA to the Remington 1875?   There are a lot of similarities that would make people want to compare them.  Or are they just too different so that comparing them makes no sense?

Or...

Can you compare the USFA Omni Potent to the Colt 1878?   They clearly look similar, but the USFA is not a SA only version of the 78, it's an SAA made to resemble the 78, so comparing them is silly.

The Cimarron Lightning is not an SA only version of the Colt Lightning.   It is a scaled down SAA made to somewhat resemble the Colt Lightning.  If the above three comparisons make no sense, then comparing these two pistols makes no sense.  But if the top three comparisons are logical ones to make, then comparing the two pistols known as the Lightning is also a logical one to make.

Archived