SASS Wire Forum

Bending lever on shotgun

Hoss

I just acquired a BSS. Looks like will be my # 1 shotgun. Slicker than snot on a doorknob! But….lever is still straight. My other shotguns are bent to facilitate opening. Is there a trick to bending? Heat it it just put in vice and go? Is this something I can do, or better left to somebody with more experience? 

11 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

Being new ,I'd ask what is the advantage to bending the lever? And which way do you bend it more to the left so you don't have to push it as far to the right to open it?

I am left handed ...so I don't want mine bent. If you see The Brisco Kid...I am sure he could do it

9 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

Being new ,I'd ask what is the advantage to bending the lever? And which way do you bend it more to the left so you don't have to push it as far to the right to open it?

This pic is compliments of @Jeb Stuart #65654 for sale ad.  You can see how the lever is bent to allow a right handed shooter to be able to engage the lever earlier.  Work can also be done internally to allow the lock to release/open (not sure of the correct terminology) earlier.

IM000989.JPG

33 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I just acquired a BSS. Looks like will be my # 1 shotgun. Slicker than snot on a doorknob! But….lever is still straight. My other shotguns are bent to facilitate opening. Is there a trick to bending? Heat it it just put in vice and go? Is this something I can do, or better left to somebody with more experience? 

Whar's Mongo when you need him!!???

Do it yourself. You can leave it on  your gun. Use a small crescent wrench because it has smooth jaws. Put a wrap of black electrician tape over each jaw. Put the bss in a vice without barrels on. As you start putting pressure on you can feel it move but do not over apply pressure. You will know. It can take a fair amount of pressure so be patient and slow. If you feel better heating it, just make sure to not overheat that is not good as metal looses temper when to hot. I would do it cold. Did 2 of my bss's this way and works fine. Good luck.

12 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Bending the lever will take your times from the 30s down into the teens.

I do t think it makes a huge difference. But my other shotguns were bent, this one isn’t. About 1-2 times per match it doesn’t open because I didn’t push the lever all the way. Might as well fix it. 

Next time you need advice just ask. I have all sorts of it. Some not so great but I give it out anyway.:P

Archived