SASS Wire Forum

I like a bunch of John Wayne non-Westerns!

Singin' Sue 71615

I enjoyed his world war 2 movies...such as: Back to Bataan, They were Expendable, Operation Pacific. 

Yep, idealistic, and perhaps hokey to some. 

Some movies appeal to what, and how, we think it should have been like, instead of how it really was.

I presume they wanted the folks, back home, to see it all in a more positive, and highly patriotic, light, and wanted it to be more wholesome, than it really was.

For a mom to view a movie about how it really was, back in that day, would, like as not, have embarrassed her, and offended her. 

You ever wonder if the people that review the movies have actually seen the movie?

One of several Wayne attempts at comedy, "Donovan's Reef" is the last collaboration between Wayne and director John Ford. The film follows three veterans on an island in French Polynesia who try to claim a fortune one of them has inherited.

Hmmm. And here I thought it was about the three veterans trying to prevent one of them's snobbish daughter from finding out he had some half Polynesian children.

In "Hellfighters" Wayne plays a firefighter who, along with his crew, fights oil rig fires all over the world. His marriage is falling apart and he is falling in love with a colleague's daughter.

Actually Jim Hutton fell in love with Wayne's daughter.

"Without Reservation" marks a significant departure for John Wayne -- even though he is again playing an enlisted man -- as the film is a romantic comedy. This time, Wayne portrays Captain 'Rusty' Thomas,

I didn't know Marine captains were enlisted men.

49 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

One of my favorites!!!

If you watch one of the fight scenes real close you can see John Wayne's toupee flip up.

43 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

No way....really???

Way.  Here is one scene.  There is also another scene in North to Alaska where his toupee flips up in the air when he is punched.

8 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

That's a western.  This one was an eastern.

34c6ac_53134ee5cee047d0a83e2f4a0a395502.jpg

I don’t consider North to Alaska’s a western even though it was set in that time era but it’s not really a typical JW western.

I watched Hatari a lot when I was a kid, before I moved to Nairobi. Driving around the savanna in an open top land cruiser looking for critters is as fun as it looks (that's how I got my profile pic).  Moved back to the states when i graduated high school. 

Edit: I just popped it in and saw that it was filmed in Tanganyika that's what Tanzania was before merging with Zanzibar.  If you look at the Kenya/Tanzania border,  you'll see it does a jog around kilimanjaro, that's because the queen of England gave it to the Tzarina of Russia as a birthday present. 

20 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

I watched Hatari a lot when I was a kid, before I moved to Nairobi. Driving around the savanna in an open top land cruiser looking for critters is as fun as it looks (that's how I got my profile pic).  Moved back to the states when i graduated high school. 

Edit: I just popped it in and saw that it was filmed in Tanganyika that's what Tanzania was before merging with Zanzibar.  If you look at the Kenya/Tanzania border,  you'll see it does a jog around kilimanjaro, that's because the queen of England gave it to the Tzarina of Russia as a birthday present. 

I remember in the early 80's, a friends dad was transfered to Africa...he stayed home and cared for the house and finished his senior year in HS, as where the parents were going, no one under 21 was allowed in.

He didn't mind that too much!

Archived