SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun bending barrel Non-SASS

Uriah, SASS # 53822

Howdy,

I have a Remington 11-87 20 ga that shoots low and left. Pad on the comb helps a little, very little.
I have too many shotguns, that all point the same way, to get used to the 20 gauge.

Options:

1. Get a new barrel. I am going to put a feeler out amongst two gun club membership lists, to see if I can borrow one, to see where it shoots. I doubt if it shoots to a different point of aim. The barrel it has now, is not bent.

2. Bend the barrel. Has a rib. Who can do such a thing?

3. Sell it as a home defense shotgun, and start over again in 20 ga.

I say number 3 is my best option. But I’ve got a little bit of Minnesota winter time.

What say ye?

Thanks,

Uriah

Before going to extremes to fit this, try this first.

Either make a butt pad or cut the end of the stock.

What you want to do it change the angle on the butt of the stock by cutting it an angle.

The cut should be so you start at the toe and go up to the heal. Make the cut from zero to about 3/8" off at the top.

This will change the angle the stock fits your shoulder raising the barrels slightly.

To move the hit to the right make the cut with a small angle from left to right.

Starting a zero on the left and about 1/4" off at the right.

This will force the stock to turn to the right when shouldered.

Now if cutting is not something you want to do, you can make a pad that is stuffed at the bottom and thinner on the right to do the same thing.

I used hard leather pieces to make changing the angles easier.

Then after getting the correction right, I then could use the leather as a pattern for the cut on the wood.

Bending barrels is not hard but on doubles you run the risk of separating the barrels from the center rid.

The leather in the pad can be modified at the range with a knife and or scissors. 

Does the buttstock look warped ? The first gunsmithing shop I worked at had a jig for bending bbls , Remingtons we’re easy to bend . But if you can pick up a 870 or 1100/1187 and it shoots pretty much on I would look into what’s the matter with your gun before I started tweeking things too much. When you say other guns are fine do they have approximately the same lop, cast , drop , pitch ? 

Here's something to try: Loosen the bolt that holds the stock to the receiver, place a toothpick in the left side and tighten the bolt. The gun should then shoot right of where it was. Placing the fatter part at the bottom should bring the POI up. 

When you get it where you want it, you can shave the stock until it matches that profile. 

7 hours ago, Uriah, SASS # 53822 said:

Howdy,

I have a Remington 11-87 20 ga that shoots low and left. Pad on the comb helps a little, very little.
I have too many shotguns, that all point the same way, to get used to the 20 gauge.

Options:

1. Get a new barrel. I am going to put a feeler out amongst two gun club membership lists, to see if I can borrow one, to see where it shoots. I doubt if it shoots to a different point of aim. The barrel it has now, is not bent.

2. Bend the barrel. Has a rib. Who can do such a thing?

3. Sell it as a home defense shotgun, and start over again in 20 ga.

I say number 3 is my best option. But I’ve got a little bit of Minnesota winter time.

What say ye?

Thanks,

Uriah

You can shorten the stock a little and that will raise the point of impact.   Narrow the comb to move it right.   Don’t do anything to the barrel.  

fwiw my sxs shot 8” high when I got it.  For knock downs and swingers I had to aim at the ground to hit the target.   Fix was to increase length of pull.  Now it’s only 3-4” high.  

I have lots of experience with this proceedure. Back in the day, a good hard smack of the barrel on a front tire of a truck would bend it enough to change POI. But I decided to build a Barrel Bending Jig.......You can see and read all about it here...

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/shotgun-barrel-bending-change-point-impact.html

IMG_20181203_163444206-480x360.jpg

Old school blacksmith approach: lightly file the barrel where the pattern is moving TO.  Shortens that side allowing exhaust gasses to push the pattern away from that point. If it's shooting low and left  from the stockside view file the 5 o'clock position. 

Is the end of the barrel true, plumb and square?

KICK-EEZ makes pitch spacers in various thicknesses. Much easier than cutting your stock. They really don't add any length either. Plenty of info online on how to use them to change POI of a shotgun. https://kickeezproducts.com/products/pitch-spacers

Archived