SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 vs Winchester 73

Nikkisdad

The Winchester is a fine gun but there are more parts available for the Uberti when it comes time to make them race ready.  I have all Uberti guns and I am very happy with them.  I had a Winchester 73 and it had a problem.  I fixed the problem but it should never have left the factory with this defect.

They are both fine guns... I own a few of each.

But, parts, should you ever need any, may be hard to get for the Win.

And aftermarket Race parts are virtually non-existent for them.

For the Uberti ... No Problem.

That said.... Because of the build quality and materials quality.... My Preference is the Winchester!

But I have been told....  I'm Weird :D

You'll be Happy with Either One !!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Nikkisdad said:

I have an opportunity to purchase Uberti 73 or Winchester 73.  The price difference after all fees' is $350.00 more for the Winchester. My question is the price difference worth it for the Winchester?  Thanks inadvance

Do you intend to participate in S.A.S.S.?

If yes, I'd suggest going to a match(if you haven't already) and seeing if you can try both out before you buy.

If not, I'd probably go for the Winchester.

I have both and the Winchester is a better gun from the factory; the Ubertis need a little attention. Yes, it's $350 better. 

First consideration, the "Winchester" is not a Winchester.  It's a Miroku.  Made in Japan.  Very Fine quality.  It is a replica, as is the Uberti.  Then we come back to the other question.  What do you want to do with it??  If you are looking to play the CAS game, an be competitive, the Miroku may not be your cup of tea.  There are no "speed" parts available for the Miroku.  There is a Plethora of speed parts for the Uberti.  Both rifles can stand to have the OEM Springs tuned or changed.  The out of the box actions are on the heavy side.

Based on the availability of parts, I'd opt for the Uberti, but Tyrel's answer is also quite appropriate.

If you have no intention of shooting it in competition, then I think the clear choice is the Winchester based on the name recognition and the quality of the rifle.  The Uberti can be tuned into a much better competition rifle simply because the parts are available and people have been working on them for 20 years.    Shooting 38 spl. in the Winchester will be much cheaper than shooting 45 colt in the Uberti.

2 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

If you have no intention of shooting it in competition, then I think the clear choice is the Winchester based on the name recognition and the quality of the rifle.  The Uberti can be tuned into a much better competition rifle simply because the parts are available and people have been working on them for 20 years.    Shooting 38 spl. in the Winchester will be much cheaper than shooting 45 colt in the Uberti.

im in this court as well , if thats the case , you want a winchester - buy it once and be happy with it , no sense to buying both to get what your really after , 

As far as shooting it for plinking, sport then the Winchester would be my pick as it is a bit better quality wise.  If you're going to be hunting with either one, I would suggest that neither one is appropriate, for the most part.  Hunting loads would probably require a stronger action than the '73 model has.  In that case a Marlin action would be preferable.

3 hours ago, Nikkisdad said:

I have no intention of using this gun for competition , just a good reliable quality gun for shooting, hunting and just admire it for what it is. The Uberti is 45 colt and the Winchester is 357 magnum if that makes a difference. 

The Winchester, hands down.  If you really want something special, send it to Turnbull.

For competition, I would go with the Uberti.  We just got a new one fresh from Lefty Wheeler.  The Iron Cowboy will break it in tomorrow. 

The Miroku '73 Winchester is a decent rifle. I have a Uberti '66 in 38 Spl and a Miroku '73 Winchester in 38/357. The Miroku has jumped in price, I think the $350 favored the Miroku when I bought it. The Miroku has a few engineering upgrades, the firing pin is one, and the lever and links are another. Out of the box the Miroku has a shorter stroke. I have a PGW short stroke in the '66 and it is only marginally shorter than the Miroku. The super shot kit would beat the stock Miroku, but the basic one just matches it. 

Uberti does have much better parts availability, and the aftermarket upgrades are abundant. I wouldn't sell either of mine. 

If you are going with 44-40 or 45 Colt, I'd recommend the Uberti. Uberti uses a a better rifling twist rate IMHO. Winchester uses rifling better suited for BP and soft lead bullets. In 38/357 they are the same, and good. Marlin as well, proper rifling in the 38/357, musket ball rifling in 44, 44-40 and 45 Colt. In reality, for our game, the barrel doesn't need rifling. Heck, I've seen a Cowboy shoot 44-40 ammo in a 45 Colt rifle, and shoot clean. The bullet in all likelihood didn't even touch the bore. 

Again, IMNSHO, the Miller Twist Rate Formula doesn't match my experiences. 

BB

21 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

First consideration, the "Winchester" is not a Winchester.  It's a Miroku.  Made in Japan.  Very Fine quality.  It is a replica, as is the Uberti.  Then we come back to the other question.  What do you want to do with it??  If you are looking to play the CAS game, an be competitive, the Miroku may not be your cup of tea.  There are no "speed" parts available for the Miroku.  There is a Plethora of speed parts for the Uberti.  Both rifles can stand to have the OEM Springs tuned or changed.  The out of the box actions are on the heavy side.

Based on the availability of parts, I'd opt for the Uberti, but Tyrel's answer is also quite appropriate.

I disagree!  There have been many posts on this and based on products farmed out to other manufacturers in the past, I consider the Moriku manufactured rifle a Winchester.   I have original Winchesters, Moriku made Winchesters and a Navy Arms 1860. Other than the 1860 I consider the rest Winchesters except the Browning 92 in .44 mag. But that is my opinion and I wanted to give the “poster” atheism other side. I don’t compete to win I compete to shoot and walk around healed. So because I like Winchester and I have had a Uberti 1873 in .44 spcl, I shoot the Miroku model and it works very well. 

I cant stand all  the writing on the barrel of the Miriku Winchesters Made in Japan .

I would rather have the uberti .

With that said .

I got stuck on this Made in America Thing and Bought a  Henry Repeating Arms  1860 .

Yes its a fine built rifle .

But honestly I would rather have My Old Uberti built Henry Back .

I sure do miss her lol

And No MIM Parts . 

8 hours ago, Nikkisdad said:

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the Winchester by Miriku in .357 mag.24 inch barrel and pistol grip. I have lots of IMR 700X and 158 gn swc bullets, any suggestions for load data keeping the pressure around 22,000 psi

The Hodgdon Reloading Center lists loads for 357 mag with 700X and a 158 grain cast bullet from 13.1 kpsi to 24.4kpsi.  You can get 22 kpsi with your bullets and powder.  BTW, for CAS your rifle would be very suitable for long range/pistol caliber side matches, though I would load it with a slower burning pistol powder.

Disclaimer:  This is what works for me.....

I have owned the Uberti 1860, 66 and 1873, the Winchester 1873 and Marlins.  For overall toughness in back country conditions while carried in a saddle scabbard or in hand, go with the Marlins.  Yes there are some gunsmiths who conduct Marlin magic and transform a Marlin into a high level competition rifle.  There are more Uberti 73's out there on the CAS range than I can count.  There is an abundance of aftermarket parts and many talented gunsmiths that create an amazing high level competition rifle.  Just study what the top shooters use.  Remember Uberti's are plentiful in the used and affordable market.   But for me I vote for the Winchester 73 and 66 and that is what I use for CAS.   It is just fun and for me, out of the box smooth enough.  I shoot CAS to enjoy the shooting sport and the people.  Every time I make a new shooting friend I win the match in my eyes!

Slide 0

Slide 0

21 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I cant stand all  the writing on the barrel of the Miriku Winchesters Made in Japan .

I would rather have the uberti .

With that said .

I got stuck on this Made in America Thing and Bought a  Henry Repeating Arms  1860 .

Yes its a fine built rifle .

But honestly I would rather have My Old Uberti built Henry Back .

I sure do miss her lol

And No MIM Parts . 

I would also like to have an original 1873, but 2 weeks after I got the Miroku, I saw an original in 44-40 for a $1,000!  But I had already spent the money. 

On 11/19/2021 at 12:53 PM, Nikkisdad said:

I have no intention of using this gun for competition , just a good reliable quality gun for shooting, hunting and just admire it for what it is. The Uberti is 45 colt and the Winchester is 357 magnum if that makes a difference. 

Winchester, if your intent is NOT using it as a CAS rifle.

Archived