SASS Wire Forum

A suggestion for Ruger for Marlin

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

As far as making your own ersatz Volcanic out of a Henry frame, it would seem to me that there are a couple of "options."  The first, as has been discussed, is get a frame that has never been made into a rifle.   You could then put a 12" barrel on it and declare it to be a "pistol."  As to if the frame is identified as a "rifle frame" or just a "frame" is something I do not know.  You'd have to check with the ATF to be sure on that, and get it in writing.

The other option would be to put a 16" barrel on it and think of it as a "Volcanic Buntline," and made sure that the overall length of the thing is at least (I think it's) 26".  Then, no matter what it's shaped like, it not an SBR, just a very impractical rifle.  In this option, you'd probably have to have a Mare's Leg type grip instead of trying to reshape the tang to get a more Volcanic like grip.  (In fact, I have long considered doing this with a reproduction 86 to make a "real" version of what the Mare's claimed to be.)

In either case, you'd probably have to find someone with great skill as a welder to customize the lever into the Volcanic's circle lever instead of the Henry's oblong one.  :)

I doubt that anyone will ever market a replica Volcanic.    On the one hand, it would fill in the same niche as the Mares Leg, but would be a lot more work.  Mare's Legs are basically chopped versions of existing rifles.   A true Volcanic replica would require tooling up to make frames and things in the correct size.  But it would be cool to have one in either .32 S&W or .38 S&W.  (The most logical calibers to put it in, IMO.)

Ah, the possibilities!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a machinist who made his own volcanic rifle, and ammo to shoot in it.  It has been mentioned on here before.  And some company made volcanic pistols in .22 I think.  Just heard of those, never saw one.

3 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

There is a machinist who made his own volcanic rifle, and ammo to shoot in it.  It has been mentioned on here before.  And some company made volcanic pistols in .22 I think.  Just heard of those, never saw one.

Seen that.   Pretty well done.   Never did understand why he made it work with a shortened version of .40 S&W.   Seems to me that it woulda been easier to make it of a .380 if he wanted a rimless cartridge.   But I'm just glad he was able to do it.

I've heard of the .22's, but never seen one, not even a pic.   But as a .22 it'd be hard to use at a match.   Yeah, yeah, just like a Mare's Leg, it'd prolly not be SASS legal, but some clubs'll let you use 'em if you ask nicely in advance.  :)

Archived